Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: ECU - Fan Circuit  (Read 5016 times)

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 x 2
  • City / Town: London
ECU - Fan Circuit
« on: Sep 25, 2020, 08:50 PM »
Does anybody know whether you can get a Kawasaki ECU repaired please ?

I have fault found down to the Earth generated from the ECU. PowerProbed an earth onto the fan relay coil neg and the fan cut in. In London the day before yesterday it overheated and the warning light came on as soon as I hit traffic. The 30 miles to that point on the A3 at 70 miles an hour  !!!  was no problem .   According to the Kawasaki guy the fact the warning light came on says that the NTC temperature sensor is working By messaging the ECU, from where that sends the warning light on. Unless it was a glitch and Iím about to put it all back together and run it up and see,  itís looking like the ECU is not sending the earth to the fan relay. My part number is 21175Ė0204. Any help greatly received.
Thanks Mark
« Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 08:51 PM by mark241 »

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: ECU - Fan Circuit
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Just googling pictures of the Ecu it looks like it is sealed unit so you would have to cut into it with a dremel or something like that which probably would not end well
have you verified continuity of the cabling from the relevant pin in the ecu plug to the fan
And you have probed the multi plug and get no earth out on the relevant pin under alarm conditions

Then I would consider replacing the ECU with one from the same bike same year from ebay or bike breakers
The part number suggests a 650cc

just looking on fleabay looks like one could be had for about £100
As there is no immobiliser on my 2008 I would imagine it would be a straight swap with no coding required ( hopefully )

But I could be completely wrong i am going more from my car experience than bikes :-)
and not doubt someone with more experience will come along to help out
J
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2020, 08:45 AM by jdoyle »

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:01 AM »
I have one in my garage from when I swopped to a an american one, I can check the numbers if you like. Depends what year yours is.

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Yep that's the one Ive got, let me know if your interested in it.

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2020, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

ECU is a Denso 21175-0204 is the correct ECU.

Yes would of course be interested if anybody has one.

Thanks
Mark

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Bike is also a 2011 Versys 650  non ABS.

To.

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2020, 04:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by mark241 [+]
Thanks for the replies.

ECU is a Denso 21175-0204 is the correct ECU.

Yes would of course be interested if anybody has one.

Thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, when I got mine out of the box I remembered that I fitted the original back on the bike when I sold it. So the one I have is the replacement USA one, its a direct plug and play swop and gets rid of the poor fueling at low revs that the versys suffers from due to emissions laws. Your original number 21175-0204 is a direct swop for mine which is 21175-0214 this is a valid exchange as you can check with the guys on the forum or look for it with the search function. If you're interested give me a shout and we can sort something out. Cheers   Les.

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Now confused again - a bit.  2016 Versys tested for comparison. Kid the temp sensor with a potentiometer that itís too hot and warning light comes on but fan doesnít start on that either ?  The only thing missing on the 2011 Versys fan relay plug is the earth ? Both lives are there and the third wire is the fan Feedwire which only comes into play once itís all connected and the relay pulls in the switch. The wiring diagram that says that earth comes from the ECU. Therefore under what conditions does the ECU do that as my test on the 16 Versys didnít run the fan either only the warning light. Iíve had it up to proper running  temperature five minutes before and the fan cut in.  There is a piece of this puzzle missing.

Anybody ? Please ?

Offline STOKIE

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Are you sure itís electrical problem and not something like thermostat playing up and causing an airlock or something. Ecuís sometimes need more than one signal from various sensors to react.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Mark

Temp Sensor wires
The Brown/Black wire to the coolant temp sensor is the +feed wire to all sensors.
The Coolant Temp sensor is grounded directly via the engine
The Orange wire is the control sensor wire to the ECU that monitors the resistance in the water temp sensor.

Fan Relay wires
The Green wire is the supply feed to the Fan Relay
The Pink/Blue wire is the control wire to the ECU
The Blue/white wire is the relay switched 12V supply to the Fan Motor

How it works
When the ECU senses a change in the resistance in the orange wire from the Temp sensor, it then it grounds the Pink/Blue wire of the control Cct for the Fan Relay supplying 12V to the fan motor.

To check the Temp Sensor operation, see Chapter 16 / SubPage 74 in the Mk2 Service Manual.

To check the fan motor you need to supply 12V to the Blue/White wire.
See also Chapter 16 / SubPage 62 in the Mk2 Service Manual.

EDIT - Note The Fan motor will only run once the engine is running, when controlled by the ECU, as the fan Cct is not energised just by turning on the ignition switch.

Mk2 Document in one of the sub folders HERE

Hope this helps  :027:

PS -  :185: to the forum  :008:
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2020, 09:13 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: