Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: ECU - Fan Circuit  (Read 4814 times)

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 x 2
  • City / Town: London
Re: ECU - Fan Circuit
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Thatís helpful most of which is checkbox on the bike. Testing the water temperature sensor to confirm resistances, Is it possible for the water temperature sensor to be out then and yet still signal the ECU to bring the temperature warning light on plus by now the coolant is starting to boil up and the fact that the fan isnít running have anything to do with the water temperature sensor ?

Apart from the ground wire to the relay all of the other three wires check out with the feed to the switch live the feeds of the relay coil live continuity to the fan motor on the blue and the only thing missing the ground that comes from the ECU ?

I take your point about the circuit not being energised without the engine running.

In other words could this yet still be to do with the temperature sensor?

Iím not afraid to  be proven  an idiot - something Iíve always known !

Cheers
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2020, 09:56 PM by mark241 »

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2020, 10:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by mark241 [+]
Thatís helpful most of which is checkbox on the bike. Testing the water temperature sensor to confirm resistances, Is it possible for the water temperature sensor to be out then and yet still signal the ECU to bring the temperature warning light on plus by now the coolant is starting to boil up and the fact that the fan isnít running have anything to do with the water temperature sensor ?
YES if the resistance values do not line up with the correct water temperature values

Apart from the ground wire to the relay all of the other three wires check out with the feed to the switch live the feeds of the relay coil live continuity to the fan motor on the blue and the only thing missing the ground that comes from the ECU ?
The Pink/Blue wire from the relay to the ECU is electronically switched to earth by the ECU, via 1 of the the 3 Black/Yellow earth wires.
To test the relay run the engine and ground / short to earth the Pink/Blue wire

I take your point about the circuit not being energised without the engine running.

In other words could this yet still be to do with the temperature sensor?
YES,  or the relay has failed / bunt out

Iím not afraid to  be proven  an idiot - something Iíve always known ! -
We won't hold it against you much  :008:

Cheers

This is an ER6 coloured Wiring Diagram but it is essentially the same as the Versys  :7:
Left Click on it and open in new window to see it in more detail

Or download the 12Mb PDF HERE  :152:

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2020, 10:47 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:50 AM »
You are the man Tower Man.

It was the guy at Kawasaki technical who said to me that the temperature sensor must be working okay as it had signalled the ECU to bring on the high temp warning light. At that point I dismissed the thought of the temp sensor being faulty and cancelled an order I had placed for a new water temp sensor. Thatís why I asked that question. I think I am going to replace it first before anything else. Beyond that Iíll either swap the ECU, put in a manual ground to the relay at least initially (relay is good as is fan and rest of wiring) or else fit an aftermarket temp switch into the Ďplumbingí and wire in.

Cheets

Online STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Hi Mark did you sort out your fan problems.

Offline mark241

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 06, 2020, 05:17 AM »
Yes -  just forgot to update.

Despite the tech guy at Kawasaki telling me otherwise, In the end nothing more than an out of calibration water temperature sensor.   I Re-ordered a new NTC thermistor (having cancelled the first one because of the advice given) and fitted this and ran the engine and tested. The fan cut in so all good.

Just had to re-fit the ECU and put it all back together.

Was a good learning opportunity though as to how it switches and thanks very much for information and help shared.

Much appreciated.

Online STOKIE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2009 versys 650
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
« Reply #15 on: Oct 06, 2020, 09:10 AM »
 :96: