Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Losing Power  (Read 983 times)

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V650 Mk3
  • City / Town: Wallasey
Losing Power
« on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:12 PM »
I look at the bike and no idea where to start looking!
After a short run round town the power will drop intermittently and sort of behave like a limp home mode, I'm using say 75% throttle but only getting 35%. Plenty of petrol and I don't think it's gone off (filled up yesterday (Shell)).
Bike's a mk3 2015 model and hasn't hiccuped like this at all till Friday/Saturday!
Probably not the best explanation but any ideas? Is due in for 25k service soon.
thanks

(apologies if this has been asked before!)

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
Re: Losing Power
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:42 PM »
No experience of this but if it were me the first question I'd ask myself (and what some people ask about me  :124:) - is it firing on both cylinders?
If it does it from cold that's easy to determine by checking if both exhaust downpipes are getting hot.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:58 PM »
I would be checking the spark plugs.

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Fires up on both cylinders and runs well. All the power is there and no initial cause for concern, it's only when running for a while do the symptoms set in.
My head isn't in the right place to go pulling the bike apart too much  :003:
Can do a visual check on externals i.e. pipes, fuses etc
Plugs replaced at 15k, now at 25k but if they are failing why not apparent on startup and not 15mins into ride?
Service is a week Thursday but worry it's more trouble than it may be!

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 02:20 PM »
If it is cutting out on one cylinder after 15 minutes or so, then if you ride it for a few minutes like that you should then be able to feel the temperature difference on the exhaust pipes without actually touching them. I suppose you could even splash some water on them and see if it only boils off on one.

Offline grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 02:30 PM »
So it sounds like something is failing once it gets hot. I'd plump for an electrical issue, something going out of tolerance when hot. Possibly plug(s), more likely a coil.
I'm not sure if the stator failing (which is not uncommon) would cause the issues you have or just effect the charging system, but if it were that I suspect you'd end up with a flat battery, so its probably not that.

One other thing to check is that the tank is not air locking, i.e. the breather is blocked which slowly causes a vacuum in the tank preventing the fuel from flowing. Easy test - when the fault happens open the tank, if you get a big sigh/ intake of breath and the fault goes, a blocked breather it is.

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2020, 02:49 PM »
Had the stator fail at 2yrs which took everything else with it!  :003:

Just had a quick look and there's a vacuum pipe from the throttle/injector things on the left hand side I broke into for the scott oiler. This has now split as shown in pics so will get a replacement see how that goes.
Replacing this may provide 100% vacuum again perhaps.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2020, 04:07 PM »
Cut the pipe at the end of the split, there should be enough slack to stretch it back on again.

Offline Catsick

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Yup, going to do that and tape it. Scottoiler t piece good but just that little bit too big.
Luckily not commuting at mo. Will get replacement pipe and look a alternative point for oiler vacuum link.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2020, 05:47 PM by Catsick »

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2020, 08:48 PM »
If that is not the problem it just might be a coil stick as i had it with a car a few years back , when cold it was fine but once warmed up it became a twat.
Hope it's the just that pipe.