Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Another slant on oe screens  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Another slant on oe screens
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Rob, I would have said you are getting soft in your old age, but someone told me you were always soft...   :whistle:   

And before Stewie comes in here insinuating all kinds of things, I did mean that as a rider.   :008:

OK, I'll grant you that good waterproof/rain gear is essential to doing long days.  But a barn door windshield isn't. 

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2020, 05:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

"Even in the rain you just gotta embrace the elements that elevate your experience,..."

Doesn't quite work that way when doing 1000 -1200 km days. A good screen and rain gear become matters of considerable interest  :2: .

Rob.

agree...... :028:

a 30 min ride in the rain can be fun, ive often gone out deliberately in the rain,    but a 400 mile day at 5 degs in the rain is a different matter, if i had to ride a naked bike nowadays i think i'd probably stop riding, thats not because i'm soft, its because its just not pleasant...

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: MK1 V650
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2020, 08:26 PM »
True enough Rob, I have never ridden that far in a day, my bikes lucky if it sees that in a week! Though I do try to keep it exercised year round, and my little V has been a good friend in the wind and rain. 
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2020, 12:47 PM »

Can't think which one your informant might be, Gustavo, there are so many of them. But obviously she was was referring to my heart. In every other respect, of course, I'm hard as nails, tough as old boots, ride the tires right offa da rims and keep on going  :whistle: . But with age comes increasing porosity. Everything leaks - head, skin, bladder, mouth, nose, etc they all leak and what leaks out can also leak back in.
 So, good rain gear and barn door screen YES:008: :008: .

Something not often mentioned is that screen size is related to rider size and shape. A modestly proportioned gentleman such as Gustavo can get away with a more modestly proportioned screen ( even if it is upside down ) whereas a tall skinny one on a raised seat can well use a taller screen.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.