Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...  (Read 9886 times)

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...
« on: Oct 04, 2020, 07:28 PM »
I need to get the Versys back home to Portland.  I wanted to do that in August, but it was simply too damn hot.  We don't say it's hotter than Hades for nothing.    :33:  So, I thought to myself, self, why rush it, wait until later in September, when it starts cooler, and then you can do a nice trip through the California Sierras on the way home.  I was really looking forward to riding some of those passes again.  I think the last time I did a good Nor Cal Sierras passes trip was 10 years ago - Tioga, Ebbets, Sonora, etc. - they are not legendary for nothing.  And then fire season broke out early and with a vengeance.  Both in California and Oregon, leaving us with an air quality problem, that would make people in Beijing complain about how nasty it is outside...   :5: 

For those that haven't been following, typical AQI scale is like this - 0-50 is good, 51-100 is moderate, 101-150 is unhealthy for sensitive groups, 151-200 is unhealthy, 201-300 is very unhealthy and 301-500 is considered hazardous to your health (all numbers represent a calculation based on concentrations in micrograms per cubic meter of 2.5 and 10 micrometer particles in the air).   For the first two weeks of the fires we had AQI in the 600 and 700 range, literally, off the charts...   :5:

So, I had to change my plans.  I waited a few more weeks, the fires are a bit more under control and smoke is dissipating.  But, the clouds of smoke it creates keep shifting based on how the wind is blowing.  I am planning to start the trip back home tomorrow, and every day this week I have looked at different routes to minimize the exposure to said smoke.  Why not wait a bit longer?  I could, but then you start running into the winter season and risk getting hit by an early snow storm and not be able to go across any of the Oregon Cascade passes (I have completely abandoned the idea of doing any of the Sierra passes.  As of today, AQI is in Unhealthy territory across all of them), which would mean having to run the entire length of I-5 from LA to Portland.   :004:

So, the bike is ready:

All I have to do is get to Las Vegas and see what the AQI map looks like tomorrow morning, to decide where I'm going.  It's only a little over 1000 miles and depending on which way I go, it could take two or three days.  I'm trying to route through places I have never been or have not been to in a while, but if not going up the Sierras, the Northern Nevada desert doesn't really offer a lot of options that don't include very long detours.  So, I'm going to play it by ear, see how the day and riding evolves.  This is what I call an adventure...   :biker1:

Hope you guys tag along.

Gustavo
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2020, 08:21 PM by Gustavo »
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2020, 09:27 PM »

Bike's looking good. Hope the plan plays out.

:028: :028:

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2020, 09:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Bike's looking good. Hope the plan plays out.

:028: :028:

Rob.
Rob
I hate to disagree, but those pipes look very rusty  :192: :192: :192:

Obviously Gus has been neglecting / riding the bike too much   :notsure:
and could have at least given them a polish while he waited to the smog to clear   :027:
That's what a retired person like me would have done  :whistle: so what has he been doing all this time  :124:

:36: :36:

PS Gus - have a good trip and hopefully see you & Rob sometime next year for a belated IVM. Remember lots of pictures  :whistle:
Richard    :001: 

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2020, 10:12 PM »
I admit, my Versys probably qualifies for the "most neglected Mk1" prize.  Polish the pipes?   :lostit:   I can't even remember when was the last time I washed it...   :whistle:

I hope to have a good update (and lots of pics) tomorrow night.

Gustavo

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2020, 10:34 PM »
 :028: :028: :028: :028:

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: MK1 V650
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Nice set up to the journey, that bike looks like its had all the right attention to me, from the saddle mostly. Along with ironing clothes, life's too short for polishing downpipes.
 Heading out with a direction of travel then discovering the route as you go is fertile ground for adventures to grow from, and bear the fruit of new discoveries.
Have a great ride, I am looking forwards to the pictures.
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Online grumpyoldgit

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Swansea (ish)
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2020, 10:07 AM »
 :37:
Enjoy the adventure.
Out of curiosity, turning right out of Vegas, how far would you need to go to find clean air?

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2020, 01:35 PM »
AQI map is showing only moderate levels of particulate over Las Vegas this morning, so as soon as I get out of town, it should be all nice, clean, air.

Side stand up in 30.

Gustavo

Offline riggerjim

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2020, 08:37 PM »
Have a great Gus
Looking forward to the reports and pics
Jim

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2020, 05:30 AM »
That kickstand didn't cooperate.  Chris woke up, so we ended up chatting over morning tea, and only then the kickstand was cooperative...   :whistle:

The garage was full, had to carefully maneuver the Versys out of there:

It was still before sunrise, so I was not that far off my original plan.  Leaving Las Vegas...    :001:

Had a beautiful sunrise over Sheep Peak:

The skies were looking good due north.  It seemed like the route would work:

Got gas in Beatty.  Not a lot of bikes out today:

This was one of three forced additional stops.  Despite having a 5 gal tank, the range isn't that good when you are traveling at desert southwest speeds...   :whistle:  At thos speeds, mileage drops into the mid-40's, add a bit of head wind and it's unpredictable.  Yes, you can get 200 odd miles, but it's not reliable.  And the fuel gauge is annoyingly pessimistic, so even though I know that when it's flashing "get gas now" and I know there is likely an extra gallon (US sized) left at that point, I really don't like hiking to a gas station, much less push the bike there, so I like to get gas before the 200 mile mark.  And that's exactly the problem here.  There are several legs that are 220-240 miles between gas station.  Either that, or you stop at the 100-120 mile mark at the only other gas station you will find between those two points.  Hence, the extra 3 stops.  Usually, it's not a big deal, but I had a pretty ambitious plan for the day.  You'll see.

This is where the V-Strom makes a better partner in the western US, it will go 250 miles between gas stops, even at these speeds - it has a slightly larger tank and it's more economical.  Anyway...

Out of Beatty, we ran into the first construction crew of the day:

That was a long stretch on only one open lane.  We waited about 20 minutes, and I was one of the last ones to join that queue.  On a different note, take a look at those skies...

That smoke was supposed to be west of Tonopah (basically straight north from this location.  It looked like it was all over the valley...   :sick:

More in a minute (or two...)

Gustavo