Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Awesome trip and great efffort 700 mile days are tireng
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #21 on: Oct 06, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Made it to Prineville as planned. About 45 minutes shorter than Google forecasted. They must have an error with their mapping software...  :whistle:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #22 on: Oct 06, 2020, 09:27 PM »

Yeah, but I thought they fixed it about the time I sold my Mk1. It's all about the bike  :whistle: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #23 on: Oct 06, 2020, 09:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Made it to Prineville as planned. About 45 minutes shorter than Google forecasted. They must have an error with their mapping software...  :whistle:

Gustavo

That sure is some error!! - Do you perhaps need to recalibrate your speedo???  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Awesome report - please keep it coming - Love the scenic shots, the bike shots, the town shots..... Lets say just all of them.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
  • Bike: MK1 V650
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #24 on: Oct 06, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Fantastic pictures,  and some choice angles on the action shots. I love the scale of it all, and the ominous smoke. What a ride! Thanks for sharing it, inspiring! 
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #25 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Awesome trip and great efffort 700 mile days are tireng

It wasn't that tiring.  It surprised me.  I didn't arrive at Burns ready to lie down.  The seat works remarkably well.  The lower footpegs help too, but my knees did need a bit of stretching once in a while during the second half of the day.  It also doesn't help that the knee pads in the riding pants I was wearing sometimes create some pressure on the knee, so you have to stretch and move the pads out of that position while you are doing that.  A throttle lock really helps here and on any such long day.

I have to admit, I walked to dinner last night, I really didn't want to ride somewhere to dinner...  :034:

Gustavo

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #26 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Yeah, but I thought they fixed it about the time I sold my Mk1. It's all about the bike  :whistle: .

Rob.

I told you not to sell it...  You can always find a "new" Mk1.  There are plenty I see around here for sale with barely enough miles to be considered broken in.  Fly and ride?   :biker1:

Gustavo

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #27 on: Oct 07, 2020, 05:18 AM »
I got home earlier than I thought.  While at Prineville I realized that if I didn't take the shorter route back home I'll get stuck in rush hour traffic (I live on the opposite end of the Portland metro area relative to the direction I was coming from, and remember, there is no filtering here).  There seems to be a long list of things to do, considering I was only gone for 3 days...   :lostit:  I think the last part of the report will wait until tomorrow.    :211:

Gustavo

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2020, 01:26 AM »
The weather forecast wasn't wrong.  It was really, really, cold when I got up the next morning.  I figured, no rush, I'll wait a little for the sun to do its magic and warm things up while I had breakfast.  Breakfast at the hotel wasn't anything to write home about.  They had coffee, juice and some pastries.  Not even good ones worth a picture...    :015:

Around 9AM it was just over 50F (or 10C if you prefer), so I headed out.  I didn't listen to Rob and didn't get gas the previous night.   :008:  So, first stop - gas station. 

Started going up north on US-395.  Immediately you can tell we're not in Kansas (or Nevada) anymore... 

There are trees.  And the road has curves...     :5:

But there is still road construction.   :138:

The sun was starting to make itself felt when I was leaving Burns.  I thought about not wearing the heated gear, but decided it would be the prudent thing to do.  Sure enough, as soon as you got into the canyons, the shady sections were still freezing cold.

Hard to explain how much you appreciate those nice clear blue skies after a day of riding in smoke haze.

395 is a major road, but it goes over a few pretty high passes, which means it has good, twisty sections, like nothing I had done yesterday (except maybe for the pass before Austin).  It's not very tight because it's designed to accommodate 18-wheelers, but at the right speed, you can find yourself leaned over quite a bit and the curves just go on foreeeeveeeerrrrr...   :biker1:

And a cool mid-morning moon over the horizon:

Seneca's church:

Just north of Seneca, I turned west on some forest service roads.  Last time I rode here, this section between 395 and Izee was gravel.  It's all paved now and it makes for a fantastic ride:

This was getting to be a lot more interesting once you are past Izee

And it goes on and on and on...   :biker1:

Crooked River:

And the curves just got better and better the closer you get to Prineville:

As I mentioned above, I made really good time to Prineville.    :biker1: 

To be continued...

Gustavo

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #29 on: Oct 08, 2020, 01:45 AM »

Looking very good indeed. 
 The condensation inside your tank from not topping up the previous evening clearly didn't impede your progress too seriously.  :2: .

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.