Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...  (Read 9882 times)

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...
« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2020, 04:21 AM »
I got to Prineville around noon.  It was earlier than I thought, but I decided not to waste too much time on lunch, so a quick snack at the gas station and off I went.  I was thinking about the route Rob mentioned.  There were several option that would have made a very nice last leg, but also add anywhere from an hour to 3 to the ride home.  An hour would be really bad, it would put me on the east side of Portland during rush hour.  I really didn't feel like sitting in traffic, so either the short, most direct, route or the really long one that would get me home later in the evening.  The short route won.

Headed NW out of Prineville, through the farm lands:

You could see the Cascades in the distance, but not as clearly as usual due to the smoke.  That pointy peak is Mt. Jefferson:

Here you can see the Loin's Head fire, one of 3 major pones burning in western Oregon.  There are two smaller, concentrated, sources of smoke in the center of the picture, and that very large one on the right:

The road is about 25 miles away from where the forest is burning.  It got a bit hazy for a while, but there was none of that smoke smell that I had near Tonopah, Nevada, where the smoke was the densest on the ride the previous day.

Traffic wasn't bad, so I made good time going up and just south of Mt. Hood through Government Pass.

As planned, I managed to avoid the worst of PDX traffic, there were the usual slowdowns near the major highway interchanges, but traffic flowed nicely all the way home otherwise. 

I need a new chain, but other than that, the old Mk1 ran flawlessly for almost 1100 miles over a couple of long day.  Not bad for an old bike...   :biker1:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Not bad for an old bike...   :biker1:

Not bad for an old man  :008: :008: :008:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2020, 12:34 PM »

What's with you and chains?
 That chain should have been replaced at least 3 years ago  :211:  :2:

Those photos leave me feeling very restless. I hope the pandemic has eased by next June.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #33 on: Oct 09, 2020, 04:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Not bad for an old bike...   :biker1:

Not bad for an old man  :008: :008: :008:

You are right, but I didn't want to mention it, so our retired geezers, like Richard, didn't feel bad...    :whistle:

:4:

Gustavo

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #34 on: Oct 09, 2020, 05:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

What's with you and chains?
 That chain should have been replaced at least 3 years ago  :211:  :2:

Obviously not, since it lasted those extra 3 years...   :whistle:

:008:

*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]
Those photos leave me feeling very restless. I hope the pandemic has eased by next June.

Rob.

Me too, and I just was out on a ride.  It's not the same going on multi-day rides during the pandemic.   It's not that you socialize that much when riding, but now I try to minimize contact with people in the towns I go by or spend the night at (and in some cases have no choice, when many restaurants are still closed to dine-in service).  This basically turns it into a series of "day-rides" rather than a travel experience.  Not the same.

So, we'll try a western IVM in June if international travel is possible at that point?  Clarkston/Lewiston and all those fabulous Paluse roads are still there...   :biker1:

Gustavo

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #35 on: Oct 09, 2020, 07:35 PM »

Yup  :028: .

I've already started stockpiling parts for the pre trip prep... well, o.k., they were bought for last June, but now it'll be next June....I hope.

Agreed about the effects of Covid. I've racked up around 18k km since March, but mostly chasing my own tail. Enjoyable, but not the same. The accents have barely changed no matter where I've been. -)

btw, U Haul is having a problem with the number of 1 way rentals they are accumulating in their lots from all the people moving down this way. We have been declared the safest region in N. America. No new cases in a week here and only 2 or 3 on the books. Oh, and no wildfires.
 Your dungeon room is being held for you, better book a U Haul while there are any left in the West  :2: .

Rob.

Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #36 on: Oct 09, 2020, 08:33 PM »
nice one Gustavo.... :028: :028:

yes, its a strange feeling when away, when i did my trip in mainland Europe in August it felt like the world was running at half speed, i was going to Denmark/Sweden this week for a birthday ride but can't get out of the country now, hopefully by December i'll get my trip to Spain
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2020, 08:33 PM by Wal »

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #37 on: Oct 10, 2020, 12:14 AM »
Thanks for the RR Gus, its nice to see someone having some sort of trip. Great photo's as ever  :031:

My annual mileage has been also severely reduced this year, but I "braved" a brief four day self contained camping trip to N Wales last month to ride some different  roads. However, I was appalled at the lack of precautions by most people. For example on the camp site there was sanitizer every but in 4 day days I only saw 2 people use it. Then on my return trip home I called in at a bikers cafe (Crossgates) and sat opposite the entrance for an hour, absolutely no one used the sanitizer when entering, which seemed very odd as most were old, male, with many over weight and probably unfit.... :lostit: :lostit: no wonder things are as they are. 
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #38 on: Oct 10, 2020, 09:29 AM »
People will only care when they start to loose people who they know, a person who was perfectly ok to dead in less than 3 weeks. And thinking that you'll get it and be a bit under the weather , think again, I have also seen the persons partner suffer with Long Covid as its called, seriously debilitating.

Now wash your hands  and be safe

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #39 on: Oct 10, 2020, 04:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
nice one Gustavo.... :028: :028:

yes, its a strange feeling when away, when i did my trip in mainland Europe in August it felt like the world was running at half speed, i was going to Denmark/Sweden this week for a birthday ride but can't get out of the country now, hopefully by December i'll get my trip to Spain

Happy birthday!   :031:

I hope you managed to celebrate in some way despite the cancellation.   :biker1:

Gustavo