Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Nemo

• Versys Newbie
  • I never touched it officer
  • Bike: 650GT
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Las Vegas to Portland, avoiding lung damage...
« Reply #50 on: Nov 20, 2020, 11:41 AM »
Hi Gustavo. Love your ride reports. :37:  I had intended to cover some of those roads this year but .....Covid!  A question please.  You seem to have some photos taken whilst on the move and from your helmet.  I want to take still photos whilst on the move but don't want to fork out for a GoPro7 or something that is over specced for my requirements.  What set up do you use? Amazon Black Friday week might come in handy  :152:
If you're totally in control you aren't going fast enough

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #51 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Drift Ghost S is not bad, comes with a wrist mounted remote to control video & still photos, not bad quality
and cheaper than the Gopro👍

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #52 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:49 PM »
The question of what special equipment I use to take these pics has been a topic of much debate on this forum...   :125:  Most people didn't believe me that it was a simple point-and-shoot (PAS) camera I hold in my left hand.   But after several IVMs, I think I have enough witnesses to affirm that is, indeed, the case.    Also, unlike the conspiracy theories Garfi was floating around ~10 years ago on this forum, I do not have 3 arms.   :008:

I have a couple of Canon PAS cameras that I use for these pictures.  I like Canons, because they were among the first ones to incorporate image stabilization into PAS cameras, so I got used to their operation and menu structures, but you can any PAS you like.  The biggest downside of the current crop of PAS is that many manufacturers have followed Canon's initiative of making the on/off button recessed and small, making it hard to operate with gloves.  I understand this is useful so you don't accidentally turn it on when it's in your pocket, but it has contributed to many a missed shot, when I couldn't get the camera on in time to catch something quickly.  Also, many PAS now have a wide angle lens, which is the default starting position when the camera is turned on, meaning you have to be really close to what you are trying to frame or crop the pictures later.

The other important piece is a retractable lanyard/carabiner.  Yes, the type most office drones used to use to hang their badges from when we still worked in offices...   :008:

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/ljdeals-Retractable-Holder-Carabiner-Holders/dp/B01FT6XUYC/

Obviously, you will need a tank bag or some place to put the camera when you are not taking pictures.  If your jacket has some big pockets that can be easily accessed, that would work too.  After that, all you need is about 20 years of practice to get shots like these...   :whistle:

:008:

I just saw that the Canon PowerShot/ELPH 360 has a not-so-wide angle lens, this would be a plus in my mind:
https://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Optical-Stabilization/dp/B019UDI1EE/

But, if you already have a small camera you like, you can just use that.  OTOH, if you are going on a major trip, maybe one of the compact Super Zoom cameras would be a better idea.  That would allow you to take fantastic landscape/scenery pictures anywhere you stop, not just while traveling on the bike.   :biker1:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Nemo

• Versys Newbie
  • I never touched it officer
  • Bike: 650GT
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #53 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:29 AM »
Gustavo - thank you.  And my wallet thanks you too! Best I get out and practice with my point-and-shoot!
If you're totally in control you aren't going fast enough

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #54 on: Nov 21, 2020, 12:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]

I think that was me, still wrestling with the handling of the T800 hired from Denver EagleRider  :006:
That night I found that the rear preload had been set to the softest - no wonder it handled like a H&D  :33:

So I Jacked it up to the highest setting and then it handled much better with all that luggage, so it could then leave the other Gus, Rob's and Tim's  V650's  in the bends (not)  :notsure: :whistle:

That's part of the reason I think they kept saying  - "Where's Richard now"  :7:
Richard    :001: 

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #55 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Yes, that is you, on the way back to Colorado.  I think the pre-load adjustment was before that, while we were still riding around Yellowstone, no?   :notsure:

And it wasn't really a question of where you went, only how long it took us to find that ice cream shop you stopped at...    :008:

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #56 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:39 PM »

There may be an app for that now. RichCream maybe  :notsure:.

It'll find him anywhere so long as he's not moving. If he is moving it'll show his last stop and probable next stop.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #57 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
And it wasn't really a question of where you went, only how long it took us to find that ice cream shop you stopped at...    :008:
Gustavo
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]
There may be an app for that now. RichCream maybe  :notsure:.
It'll find him anywhere so long as he's not moving. If he is moving it'll show his last stop and probable next stop.
 Rob.

You should have had this app on your smartphone - like i did  :1: :1:
Then you would have found me very easily  :008: :031:

« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2020, 09:38 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: