Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wind noise from mirrors?  (Read 1542 times)

Offline Bikky

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: North East
Wind noise from mirrors?
« on: Oct 15, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Since getting a new helmet, I'm getting more wind noise.  I know this is more helmet related, but after much investigation, it appears the noise is hitting the sides of the helmet around the ears.  I've figured out following the airflow this is from the mirrors.

Any suggestions for rectifying this?

2009 Gen1, with bar risers.

Thanks.

Offline NIVersysOwner

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V 650 GT 2018
  • City / Town: The NORTH!!!
Re: Wind noise from mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2020, 03:27 PM »
Surprised you can hear it over the rattles of the mk1 :008:

Just ask THE RAT how he gets past it.
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:20 PM »
What mirrors do you have now?  Are those still the stock ones (hard to believe they lasted 11 years...   :008:).  Remove the mirrors and go for a ride.  If you can tell a significant difference, then it might be worthwhile investing in new mirrors.  Having changed mirrors (on a V-Strom) due to claims on some forums that they are a major cause noise and turbulence, I can tell you they aren't as big a contributor as some people claim.  That is, even with the "new and improved" mirrors, there still is noise and turbulence.  I solved the turbulence issue with a different screen on that bike. 

Anyway, you already know this change happened when you switched helmets, so the real root cause is helmet fit, not some change on the bike.  I realize it's a bit late to fix that, as it cannot be returned, but maybe you can fix the liner fit around your ears?  Sounds to me like the helmet is "rounder" than your head, which results in a gap in fit around your cheekbones.  Maybe a thicker pad could fix that?  Most helmets come in 2 or 3 shell sizes and the rest is done with different thickness foam padding.  Find cheekpads that are thicker than the ones that came with your size helmet.  That could solve it.

Do you wear earplugs?

The Aprilia mirrors (or their cheap clones) are often recommended for their aerodynamic shape, but keep in mind that they have a much smaller useful mirror surface area.

On the Versys I have these Bikemaster GP mirrors, they are a lot better at being mirrors than the Aprilia ones, due to their simpler and more rectangular shape:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Bikky

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Yes still the stock mirrors.  This helmet is actually a slightly more snug fit than my other.  However this is also a flip up, (applying to blood bikers so wanted flip up for in and out of hospitals etc).  So the cheek pads aren't quite as far forward, despite the inside being slightly smaller.

I was going to remove the mirrors for a test ride.  I've also got a second winter bike which is quieter, so yes the screen plays a part.    If I reduce the screen height I get blasted with chest wind.  If it's higher then I get helmet top buffeting.  The thing is, this bike is going to be used mainly for touring, so will be long days riding over several days, hence wanting it to be quieter.

Just wanted other experiences as I go through the elimination process.  (this morning was a scarf tucked inside neck warmer to add a buffer at the base of the lid against rising wind from body/arm deflection.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Yeah, weird one that. First time I've heard about mirrors as an issue for anything other than vibration distortion.

As a general rule, listen to Gustavo. He's quite clever.

Other things to check, most of which are very obvious so apologies if this doesn't help; do you have an intercom/camera attached to your lid? Mine makes an awful noise, so remove it as often as possible.

Also have a check on your visor. I spent months working with a very good lid but a really annoying whistle at a very specific speed range (55 to 75 mph). I hadn't quite fitted the visor properly and once it was fitted properly the noise disappeared. It was only out by a fraction of a mm, but it was enough to open up the seal on the right hand side.

If you have hand guards fitted; I was surprised how much they distorted the airflow. Perhaps they might be interacting with the mirror? Don't know, just trying to think a bit laterally.

Offline Bikky

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:50 PM »
yup, I do have helmet cam and intercom, wasn't an issue on the old lid with them. Might remove them and see as well.  Do have handguards as well....

My GOD, all my protective and useful stuff has to come back off???  :008:

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:51 PM »
Ear plugs are your friend. 
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Bikky

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Wear them... Always have :)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #8 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bikky [+]
Wear them... Always have :)

My solution is to buy even more efficient earplugs. Works everytime for me - I have even found some cheap foam earplugs which really isolate me from the noise- from Screwfix!

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
My solution is to buy even more efficient earplugs. Works everytime for me - I have even found some cheap foam earplugs which really isolate me from the noise- from Screwfix!

Dave T
Mmmmmm    I always find it very quiet  when passing Screwfix.   :015: :whistle:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?