Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Wind noise from mirrors?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Wind noise from mirrors?
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2020, 06:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Mmmmmm    I always find it very quiet  when passing Screwfix.   :015: :whistle:

I would be screaming my head off if I passed screwfix, but if you have a large bore catheter, you don't even notice.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
I would be screaming my head off if I passed screwfix, but if you have a large bore catheter, you don't even notice.

Dave T
Geoff recommends Dyno Rod for that  :33:
Richard    :001: 

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Geoff recommends Dyno Rod for that  :33:

I thought it was Dave that had Dyno Rod in?

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2020, 07:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bikky [+]
Yes still the stock mirrors.  This helmet is actually a slightly more snug fit than my other.  However this is also a flip up, (applying to blood bikers so wanted flip up for in and out of hospitals etc).  So the cheek pads aren't quite as far forward, despite the inside being slightly smaller.

What brand/model is this new helmet?  I have both full face and flip-up and I can't tell any significant difference in noise levels.  Actually, the flip-up may be the quieter one (with top vent closed).

*Originally Posted by Bikky [+]
I was going to remove the mirrors for a test ride.  I've also got a second winter bike which is quieter, so yes the screen plays a part.    If I reduce the screen height I get blasted with chest wind.  If it's higher then I get helmet top buffeting.  The thing is, this bike is going to be used mainly for touring, so will be long days riding over several days, hence wanting it to be quieter.

Sounds familiar.  In general, adv-touring style bikes are not as aerodynamically styled as sport-tourers or full tourers.    The screen is too far away to be effective, so you end up in the turbulent region unless it's really high (see Rob's barn door style windshields) or shorter (what I typically use).  I much prefer air at chest level than turbulence.  Also, it helps me keep a more natural sense of speed.  I've done a long touring day or two on different adv-touring bikes with a short screen setup.  Doesn't seem to impact the bike's ability to take me places and it's definitely more enjoyable than when the OEM screen created all that turbulence.

Barn door vs. short Kawasaki screen (upside-down OEM):

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Bikky

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: North East
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Could look for better plugs.  I suppose custom moulded would be the next step forward.  Currently using Alpine Motosafe, which have done me for track days in the car, and their music safe for concerts.

I tried putting the screen up to max height for this mornings commute, and tipped the top deflector to it's max, but that just seemed to add more wind to the sides  :notsure:

Offline Bikky

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: North East
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:46 PM »
@Gustavo,

I've seen this pic before.  I do have a barn door screen, which gave quite a bit of turbulence and buffeting at the top of the head, although the rest of the protection was great.

I'm currently on an MRA touring with deflector.

The bike came (18 months ago) with an MRA X-creen.  This is nice, but I do like a bit more protection with me riding in all weathers, so still investigating these options.

The new helmet is the Caberg Duke 2 flip up (in white which was needed for Blood Bikers).  My older helmet is an O'Neil Sierra 2 adventure helmet.  And quite a bit bigger, and sits lower at the neck level.  Even my old track day helmet (for the car) which was just a cheap leopard helmet is quieter than the caberg.

I think currently I'm looking to bike changes (mirrors, screen) to get the best here, before then looking into the expense of another helmet.  The New one is only 5 months old.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2020, 04:11 PM »
 Stewie, Richard and Dave.   You are all just jealous, because I can ride all day without stopping for a pie and mash.    :2:
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2020, 04:13 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2020, 04:33 PM »
You don't even need to stop for a piss any more either.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2020, 09:55 PM »
Geoff,

Why would you not stop for pie and mash? Surely that is one of the reasons to get out for a ride to somewhere?

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2020, 10:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
Geoff,

Why would you not stop for pie and mash? Surely that is one of the reasons to get out for a ride to somewhere?

Dave T
I didn't say for pie and mash.    I said for a pie and mash.   
What would you rather be, or a wasp?