Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Clutch lever gone very stiff and now clutch will not disengage?  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Re: Clutch lever gone very stiff and now clutch will not disengage?
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2020, 04:22 AM »
Just a point while you are replacing the likely issue, while it's off remove the clutch lever and clean and lube the pivot bolt.

Offline Jungle Jim

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Salisbury
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2020, 05:17 PM »
As promised, I'm reporting back now I've had chance to have a proper go.

Where I thought the cable outer was split, it turned out once I could get at it that it was just where the extra bit of plastic tubing ended that the cable routes through, the cable itself was fine. I took the clutch lever apart and tried moving the inner cable while holding the sheath. It moved so it didn't look like the cable was frayed internally. Following the hints and tips on here, I slowly dripped 3-in-1 oil down the cable and kept moving the inner to work the oil in. I did that for about 10 minutes then left it overnight to run down the cable. I greased the clutch handle pivot and put it back together, it is now a joy to use.

I've got a spare cable now for the next time though  :001:

Thank you all for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

This forum is brilliant, I now have the workshop manuals to enable me to tackle the next job, the one where the ABS light never goes out. I'll see you all when I post for help on that one  :034:

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2020, 05:48 PM »
Well done Jim

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2020, 07:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jungle Jim [+]
As promised, I'm reporting back now I've had chance to have a proper go.

Where I thought the cable outer was split, it turned out once I could get at it that it was just where the extra bit of plastic tubing ended that the cable routes through, the cable itself was fine. I took the clutch lever apart and tried moving the inner cable while holding the sheath. It moved so it didn't look like the cable was frayed internally. Following the hints and tips on here, I slowly dripped 3-in-1 oil down the cable and kept moving the inner to work the oil in. I did that for about 10 minutes then left it overnight to run down the cable. I greased the clutch handle pivot and put it back together, it is now a joy to use.

I've got a spare cable now for the next time though  :001:

Thank you all for your help, it was greatly appreciated.

This forum is brilliant, I now have the workshop manuals to enable me to tackle the next job, the one where the ABS light never goes out. I'll see you all when I post for help on that one  :034:

Good to hear back that you fixed it. The ABS light never goes out? Hate to say it but it sounds like you have a broken sensor. I had to replace the rear sensor on my 650 after I broke it and since I sold the bike the new owner hit a strip of metal on the road and broke the front one. An expensive little piece of plastic.
Edit I just had a thought you could try cleaning the face of the sensor, pull them off and wipe some type of cleaner with a rag over the front face (the bit that faces the disk). Make sure it's clean and replace.