Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Strange chattering noise  (Read 885 times)

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 650 Versys
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Strange chattering noise
« on: Oct 23, 2020, 04:26 PM »
Hi all,

I have had my bike for a couple of weeks now and lately have noticed what I can only describe as a chattering noise when decelerating. Almost like it makes the noise as the bike speed catches up with the gear box or vice versa.

At tick over/stationary you cant hear it at all but it is sufficiently loud enough that you can hear it over normal road noise. To me it sounds like gears as when I decelerate it almost takes on a rhythmical pattern. I have taken it to the dealer who has changed the sprocket and chain but has agreed the sound is still there. They are doing more investigations but thought I would ask the collective wisdom of this forum for ideas.

I have really enjoyed my Verses ro this point and hope this isn't terminal. Any thoughts very much appreciated.🤯🤯😟

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Strange chattering noise
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Check out my post on the loose front sprocket nut
2 mins to remove the cover and see if its falling off
J

EDIT : Sorry just re-read  your post and the dealer has replaced the sprocket

Maybe you could record it and post it here ?
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2020, 06:42 PM by jdoyle »

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:43 PM »
😁 doesn't matter. Just glad of any help that can be offered 😆

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2020, 06:44 PM »
I have recorded it so will attempt to upload it.

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Did the dealer replace both sprockets front and rear or just 1
As changing the chain they may just have pulled the new chain through on the back of the old one without removing the front sprocket?

I think there are also rubber bushes beneath the rear sprocket rear hub dampers or something they are called

Also have you double checked the chain tension as I have noticed noise from mine if the chain is too tight
You would expect the dealer to do it right but take nothing for granted the only way to be sure is to check yourself checked with the bike on the ground / side stand

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2020, 07:35 PM »
It's still with the dealer at the moment and they told me that they had changed both sprocket and replaced chain but could still hear a noise. Just thought I would ask here as they said they had to investigate further.

They should I hope have checked the chain tension but who knows.

To me it almost sounds like a gear meshing sound. Have recorded prior to it going in but I cant upload the file.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2020, 01:13 AM »
That sounds like a loose chain (or unevenly worn one), not a tight one.  Now that it was replaced, it should have been solved with correct adjustment.  Did you buy the bike new?  How many miles on that chain/sprocket set?

Too bad you don't have the bike, it's really easy to check for that.  When decelerating, pull the clutch in and see if the noise changes.  When the chain is loose, removing the engine resistance makes it go away (unless it's really, really, loose, then it will continue to slap the swingarm).

Gustavo
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2020, 01:14 AM by Gustavo »
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Thanks Gustavo. That was the dealers original thoughts too but at least they have replaced the chain and sprocket now.

I bought it second hand from a local dealer and not sure how many miles on the sprocket and chains but the bike has done 9,500 miles.

I hadnt noticed a change in the sound when disengaging the clutch but the sound was not present at tick over.

They are getting back to me Monday and if we get to the bottom of it I shall post it here.

Thanks for your input.

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:10 PM »
Hi Buzz,
I just wondered if you got to the bottom of your noise problem?

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Thanks for getting in touch.

Yes the chain and sprocket but strangely the chatter continued. There were a few explorations of the gearbox to no avail and then they looked at the new front sprocket. It turns out that there was a seized link on the original chain and the nee front sprocket was out of true hence creating a chatter/whine.

Both have been changed now and it runs nice and smoothly. Result!! Are you having a similar issue?