Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Strange chattering noise  (Read 829 times)

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 650 Versys
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Re: Strange chattering noise
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2020, 04:39 PM »
That should have read the chain and sprocket were changed.

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2020, 05:59 PM »
I had a noise for some time, but not similar to what you describe. There was more of a higher speed whine/rattle and definitely appeared to be from the front sprocket area. Due to various issues, the bike still has a very low mileage, but I did loan it to my brother for a tour and I thought the noise was worse on his return. I thought the rollers on my chain were very loose despite a fairly good chain maintenance schedule, and both sprockets were still like new, with no discernible wear on them. I decided to change the chain anyhow, and this has definitely solved my problem. I'm not a very spirited rider most of the time, so I'm not sure why the original chain seemed to be so noisy, and the rollers so loose (quite loose when moved with an implement). The bike is spot on now.
On a side note, I would highly recommend the AFAM Easy Riv 5 Chain Riveting Tool for 520 525 530 Motorcycle Chains, Such an easy job to rivet the new chain on. I faffed around for a whole afternoon with different devices (Including a brand new breaker/riveter tool which was useless and destroyed the new link, necessitating purchasing another link) before I ordered this which performed faultlessly.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Buzz2406 - They replaced the chain but not the sprockets?  Is that what happened the first time?   :notsure:

Gustavo
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2020, 06:26 PM by Gustavo »
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Buzz2406

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 650 Versys
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:55 PM »
Hi Gustavo. They replaced the chain and the sprocket first time round then found the new front sprocket was out of shape hence the whine after replacing the first time round.

Wwhite139 glad you got it sorted and thanks for the recommendation for the chain riveting tool. I shall start to look at doing some of my own work in the future so this recommendation will really help.

Cheers

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2020, 10:41 PM »
Don't forget you need to break the old chain before you can river the new one...   :211:

This kit used to be made for MotionPro, but is now available from a variety of vendors for a lot less money than what it cost when I bought mine, probably 20 years ago:

In the US, it's available from my favorite online retailer under the Tusk brand for less than half the MP cost:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-chain-riveting-tool-p

I'm sure you can find it for the equivalent of $40 in the UK too.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2020, 10:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Don't forget you need to break the old chain before you can river the new one...   :211:
Gustavo

I just used a mini tool like a dremel to take the rivet face off a link, and with a bit of leverage off it came. I turned the ground off link to the rear sprocket for support and drove a small (not a very good one in case it destroyed it) screwdriver into the "O" or "X" ring gap to pop the link apart. Worked a treat.