Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Winter gloves  (Read 1240 times)

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLE 650 CDF
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Re: Winter gloves
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2020, 09:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by wwhite139 [+]

What have you got plugged into your bike at the bottom of the picture there? I thought that socket was for computers. Can you charge through the socket without having to dig down to the battery?

I only just found that socket yesterday whilst digging around cleaning the winter crap off. I live on granite bedrock and the dust/sand is like grinding paste.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2020, 10:55 AM »
That's the Optimate battery charger cable, me thinks.

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLE 650 CDF
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by gushud [+]

The socket it is plugged into, I did some research after I found one on my bike. Identical. And I thought it was for mechanics  to read the bike computer?

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2020, 01:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by anderson [+]
The socket it is plugged into, I did some research after I found one on my bike. Identical. And I thought it was for mechanics  to read the bike computer?
Follow the cable back it should just connect to the battery terminals, really useful when the bikes not used just plug the Optimate in
and your battery is kept in top condition, I plug mine in every time I park it in the garage.

Offline bobthebiker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2020, 10:23 PM »
I got a pair of Richa Cold Protect Gortex gloves a few years ago....late 2017....iirc. They've probably got a slightly bulky feel  but not too bad. Hands always felt comfortable and snug in them riding including commuting through winter. I have handguards but no heated grips.

We rode from Andermatt to Thusis in Switzerland on a tour in 2018. The whole day the rain was biblical. It never let up and I was delighted the gloves never let a drop in!!

So I've found them a great glove.....but!!!!.....we're heading into winter 2020 and I've felt them let in now so I only got 3 winters out of them💁‍♂️💁‍♂️ I don't know if that's a good return from £100 gortex gloves?💁‍♂️💁‍♂️

Offline eggsy64

• Versys Pro
  • Living the dream so the wife says!!
  • Bike: Versys 650 KLE
  • City / Town: Torpoint
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2020, 08:53 AM »
If youíve been using them nearly every day during the winter itís not a bad return I do t do lots of winter riding ( wait for a dry day mainly) so they would probably be great for me .
🦊🦊🦊

Offline bobthebiker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2020, 09:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by eggsy64 [+]
If youíve been using them nearly every day during the winter itís not a bad return I do t do lots of winter riding ( wait for a dry day mainly) so they would probably be great for me .

I use them everyday from mid October until end of March. It may vary by a few weeks depending on the weather👍

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2020, 11:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by gushud [+]
Yes folks itís an optimate battery charger, and the connector on the bike has a rubber cover which seals it when youíre out and about. I opted to cable tie mine to the frame on this side to save having to lift the seat every time. I recently tested the battery health and after 5 years of constantly being on charge (except when being used) the battery is in excellent shape. I bought an extra set of the same male and female plugs and made up an extension lead so I could wall mount the charger just where I wanted.

Offline wwhite139

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: White 650 GT
  • City / Town: Bangor
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2020, 11:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by wwhite139 [+]
Yes folks itís an optimate battery charger, and the connector on the bike has a rubber cover which seals it when youíre out and about. I opted to cable tie mine to the frame on this side to save having to lift the seat every time. I recently tested the battery health and after 5 years of constantly being on charge (except when being used) the battery is in excellent shape. I bought an extra set of the same male and female plugs and made up an extension lead so I could wall mount the charger just where I wanted.
Famous last words. You just know as you're writing them that they'll come back to bite your @r53. So Quick run out for a message on Saturday (of course it chucked it down while I was out too for good measure) and on return I switched the bike off before opening the garage door. I usually I let it idle and cool/equalize temperatures a bit, but hadn't been far so thought no need. Quick tidy in the garage before restarting the V which sounded a little lazy on the startup. Retested the battery, and yup, battery has a 35% state of health, but at least its holding 98% charge on that 35%  :008: . New battery time, as I don't want to get stranded anywhere. Decided to try one of them there Lithium jobbies, as it has a 3 year guarantee over the one year for a lead acid one, and only £4 more expensive. (I know there may be cheaper lead acid ones, but we are held over a barrel here with who will send you a battery and if indeed they are able to, never mind the excessive postage costs). I am going to wait before replacing the optimate though, as it's nearly the same price as the battery, and supposedly the Lithium won't discharge as quickly as as a lead acid. Time will tell.