Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: advise please  (Read 458 times)

Offline Darsey

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Kawasaki 1000 sx
advise please
« on: Oct 27, 2020, 07:59 PM »
Hi everyone. At the minute i ride a 2019 Kawasaki z1000 sx. It is one great bike, but lately i have been thinking that I don't need all that power and would like a bike with a sit up position such as the versys 650 especially as the panniers that i already have should fit. What are the pros and cons of owning a versys 650
Ye must be born again

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: advise please
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2020, 08:31 PM »
For a starters:-

Lots of Pros - great very comfortable riding position, a bike that punches well above it's weight and generally a bike which will do most things well. Super solo bike.
Cons - Not a powerful as your Z1000SX but more than adequate. Not very good for pillions unless they are 'petite' or don't mind being quite friendly all of the time.

There will be others that can add to both those lists come along shortly.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline ArfurB

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Mk 2. 650 Black
  • City / Town: Rainham.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I traded my Yam FZS1000 in for my 11plate a couple of years ago. It's more comfortable at mway speeds especially with the Givi screen. Been to France on it, 500 miles in one day with only minimal ache at the end. Fuel is good, I have short commute daily on motorway and generally get 170+mpg. Handles really well too. Been more than happy with it.
ArfurB

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Darsey.  Fantastic value for money bike,  very comfy, great riding position, plenty quick enough for sane folk, good brakes, frugal, and an all round Jack of all trades bike. There is very little not to like about the little Versys.

And of course they are bomb proof reliable.

Things that you need to adjust to after riding a 4 cylinder bike, are the fact that you will change gear more often,  simply because you won't have the power of the bigger engine,  but the Versys does like to be revved,  consequently it is a lot of fun to ride. And I find that it is very engaging to ride.

I have had bigger bikes all my life,  but don't feel like I am missing out on anything.

I would advise a long test ride,  to try and establish if the Versys would fit your kind of biking.

As Dave states, the Versys is a great bike,  and happy to tackle any aspect of biking,  but is not without limitations.  These mainly being carrying a pillion passenger.  Maybe a 50 or 60 mile bimble would be ok, but if you cover lots of miles 2 up, then the Versys would not be the bike for you. They are short wheelbase, which makes for not too much room for a pillion passenger. However, if you ride solo, the comfort levels are very good.

There are lots of owners on here, who have owned more than one Versys, and lot's of others that really enjoy their bikes, with very few complaints.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Darsey

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Kawasaki 1000 sx
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Great feed back guys. i have had my eye on one for some time now and as i am no more interested in going at speeds above the limit i think the versys is my next bike. I already have the panniers of the sx which should fit on to the versys i think.  :001:
Ye must be born again

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Darsey [+]
Great feed back guys. i have had my eye on one for some time now and as i am no more interested in going at speeds above the limit i think the versys is my next bike. I already have the panniers of the sx which should fit on to the versys i think.  :001:
FYI - If you buy a V650 Mk3 that has not had panniers fitted previously, you will need to buy the Pannier fitting kit 99994-0537 which costs approx £30 to fit your old SX panniers

Richard    :001: 

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLE 650 CDF
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2020, 12:47 PM »
What I like the most is the excellent mpg and the seating position. Uralrob has over 100000 miles on his so if you maintain it it should last if thatís what you want.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.