Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: laminate bike jackets  (Read 502 times)

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
laminate bike jackets
« on: Dec 03, 2020, 12:39 PM »
For the last 15 years, I have worn Gore-tex kit, and it has been brilliant, and truly all day long waterproof. Even in biblical amounts of rain. But I have recently noticed that some manufacturers , including some that have sold their own kit complete with Gore-tex laminate coating, are now doing their own version of laminate jackets/ trousers.

They insist that this laminate kit is just as waterproof as Gore-tex. I know Oxford  products do a laminate suit,  one of which a friend of mine bought, however this suit proved to be far from waterproof.

Has anyone any experience of  laminate jackets ( non Gore-tex )  :question:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: Mk1V650 + Mk2V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: laminate bike jackets
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Use to use that sort of gear, but ended up with lots of shower proof jackets and thermal liners

6 years ago I invested in a Gore Tex laminated Klim shell jacket and Revit Trousers, that I now use my own mid and base layers under depending on weather conditions
Richard    :001: 

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Not jackets, but I do have a couple of pairs of pants that use a different material. They both seem to be as waterproof as my GoreTex lines jacket, but how well they breathe is questionable. My FirstGear pants get pretty warm. The Scorpion pants as better.

Whichever you end up getting, make sure there is an internal liner between you and the waterproof layer. Aerostitch makes a GoreTex lined jacket that isn't lined, and they are notorious for wearing and losing the waterproof quality, faster than the other versions.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 650 V-Strom
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:49 PM »
I believe Gore-Tex tend to offer a lifetime guarantee whereas others only offer 2yrs... if it's as good as Gore-Tex then it should be lifetime too.

I remember my old non-laminated Gore-Tex taking days to dry out, where as the laminated versions are dry by the next morning. Laminated is the way forward.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2020, 10:51 PM by UK_Vstrom650 »

Offline bobthebiker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:13 PM »
My last 2 jackets have been Vannuci Laminate jackets (non goretex) I got from the German shop Louis. Great jackets but they won't keep all day heavy rain out.

I had the jacket and trousers combination and when changing them I bought the jacket again but switched to goretex trousers.

Reasons are when it rains I have a hi viz rain jacket I like to throw on which means I can buy the laminate (non goretex) jackets and it works for me. However I don't like putting rain gear bottoms on so I had to switch to goretex trousers because I found the laminate gear I have won't keep all day heavy rain out. It'll do well but it gets in eventually.