Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Chain tension 650 (2016), locknut and bolt  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650, 2016
  • City / Town: Rotterdam
Chain tension 650 (2016), locknut and bolt
« on: Jan 09, 2021, 05:15 PM »
Hi all,

I have checked my chain tension for the first time on my recently purchased Versys 650 (2016). There is a bit too much slack I noticed, (more than 35mm), so I went on to purchase the right tooling (torquewrench etc).
I was surprised by how much the tension differs when you tighten/loosen the little bolt at the backwheel. The tension seems ok now, still around 33mm slack, but that should be fine (i'm not driving with heavy luggage or any passengers any time soon).

Now both sides of the wheel must be equal, which can be done by counting the amount of rings on the bolt that you can see (as I read online/saw in vids) or simply by measuring it yourself. The indicator on the bike itself is quite "rough" and not very precise. I counted 1 more ring on the left side, meaning the wheel is positioned slightly more to the left side. I'd say that ring is nearly 1 mm.

My question is: is that difference fine, not a problem, or should it be adjusted? Basically: how sensitive is the wheel to how well it's positioned?

Thanks in advance!
Best,
Wouter
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2021, 05:16 PM by Imightbewrong202 »

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Chain tension 650 (2016), locknut and bolt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2021, 06:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum :-)

The Versys prefers a slack chain so I would not get too hung up about getting it exactly 35mm
I have replaced the chain on my V as there were some high spots I also replaced the front sprocket as it was worn quite a lot
I have found that the cheap chain alignment tools on ebay can be handy like this one
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorcycle-Chain-Alignment-Motorbike-Chain-Sprocket-Alignment-Tool-ATV-/173698632723
You clamp it on to the rear sprocket and look down along the length of the bar to see if it is in line 

Also the chain tension should checked with the bike on the side stand
J

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2021, 07:47 PM »
the marks on the adjusters are accurate enough....... i'm sure the makers would make better ones if needed

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2021, 06:48 AM »
I mostly just use the marks as the guide. Have been known to use a tape measure to check before I wreck.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Thank for the replies guys!! I've purchased the chain alignment tool and will for now drive as is.

Thnx!

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:33 AM »
I use an alignment tool, never trust the marks on the swingarm. The Versys 650 does NOT like the tension or alignment to be out, adjust it ad close as you can to specs and keep the chain clean and lubed.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:19 AM »
Well the alignment marks may be either off or not, they cannot be both, so one could check one time and if the marks are okay, use them from there on. Now, on to some deep theory. Chain slack measurement is given "while on the kickstand" and this generates a lot of fuzz around whether setting it on rear stand is correct, but here's my thinking - someone wrote this sentence in some Kawasaki manual in 1960s or god knows when, it gets copy-pasted for ever and everybody has forgotten what it meant in the first place! It is to make sure that some idiot does not adjust chain tension while the bike is on a center stand! But differentiating between kickstand and rear stand, especially on a bike with long suspension travel, adjustable preload and varying luggage/equipment situation, gimme a break. Why am I saying this? Because when the bike is tilted on the side stand, it is near impossible to make proper and comparable eyeballing observations of the alignment marks. So, what I recommend is this - adjust the chain while on rear stand (do a final check on kickstand if you want to be anal about it) and observe the alignment marks. If the marks appear to be out of sync, glue on a new scale after adjusting the wheel by other means (there is even a product called 'adhesive measuring tape').
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021, 11:22 AM by jkristjan »

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by jkristjan [+]
Why am I saying this? Because when the bike is tilted on the side stand, it is near impossible to make proper and comparable eyeballing observations of the alignment marks.

Use the alignment tool, on the side stand or the paddock stand makes no difference and you don't need the alignment marks.

Regarding tension I set mine on the paddock stand and knew by experience how much slack to give it so it was right once someone was seated on the bike IE not too tight.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021, 11:27 AM by Maverick »

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2021, 11:31 AM »
The tools are all good and everything, but I would also like to maintain the bike while on long trips. This opens up a whole new avenue of interest - how to get things done with carrying as little as possible. I know it's my personal problem, but I live up North in a place Donald Trump would call [and perhaps rightfully so] a shithole country, so though I have no interest in riding 3000 km Polski and Deuche Autobahn just to get to the Alps and the sea in the first place, this is what I have to do and it brings along a whole new set of maintenance challenges.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021, 11:34 AM by jkristjan »

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Yea I've purchased the alignment tool now, and adjusted the chain tension and the alignment while on a paddock stand. Indeed, as I learned, when you set the chain tension to 25-30mm while on the paddock stand and then ride the bike for 2 meter, you hear that the chain is too tight. So I set it back to around 33mm slack, and it worked fine (with no strange noises when I pushed it 2 meters or more).

In a few days the alignment tool will be delivered, so curious to see what that shows!