Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fitting Brembo Callipers  (Read 9830 times)

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Ko Samui
Fitting Brembo Callipers
« on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:01 PM »
I have done this modification on Versys 1000.   Has anyone tried this on 650?  I ordered M4 Brembo callipers and suitable adaptors.  Not sure if the MC won't be too soft or need to fit a bigger one.  On 1000 I used Brembo radial MC, 17mm.

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
Re: Fitting Brembo Callipers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2021, 03:16 PM »
here we go

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:59 PM »
So, did you use the stock MC or did you get a different sized one?  If you kept the OEM one, how do the brakes feel?

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:28 PM »
I used the stock MC.   it is on the soft side, but this is generally my preference.... there are not many options out there; you can fit Brembo 17mm (as I did on V1000) or Nissin radial 16mm.  both of them would interfere with my handlebar guards. also I like the look of the stock MC.   

I would not recommend this modification for completely new riders, as the brakes are just too powerful.  one has to use them gently.  i can stop the bike at high speed with one finger.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2021, 10:16 PM by Krisnow »

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2021, 12:02 AM »
by the way, with these brakes I find that the bike is front diving too much.  i already have Hypepro sping, but that is not enough.  I consider ordering front springs from Racetech; if I am not mistaken, they provide two springs, also on the damping side.

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2021, 08:01 AM »
Ok, I solved the problem of front diving by replacing the Hyperpro spring with the OEM one.  because Hyperpro spring is progressive, it is too soft at the start of compression stroke.  anyway, now the bike is perfect.

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2021, 08:28 AM »
I thought that the bike is perfect in terms of braking.  but then I went for a ride with my V1000 - happens to have the same set up - but with Brembo radial MC 17mm (plus Galfer rotors) and the braking experience was so much superior.  So I decided to spend more $ and ordered the same MC; i mean a new model called 'Corsa.' 

Additionally, the OEM spring is harder than Hyperpro one, but still on the soft side, so I ordered a stiffer spring from Racetech.  Even with OEM callipers, I found the braking dangerous with Hyperpro spring; front diving too much; i don't know what is their deal.  I just hate front diving! Instead of stopping, the bike is coming closer to the ground...

One more thing I would like to add is that if one does not want to invest too much into the braking system, there is a simple improvement - installing 12.7mm master cylinder.  I did it to my Tiger 800 (which has the OEM similar set up as Versys) and it improved the braking by 50%.  The OEM MC is just too big and wooden.  To give you a comparison, the Versys 1000 (2016 model) comes with same 14mm MC but it has 8 pistons in the callipers.  Why would they put the same MC in a bike that has only 4 pistons in total?  Makes no sense.  You can get even a second-hand MC on ebay.  The one from Vulcan S is nice. 

I know that most riders do not question these things, and just ride with what they've got, thinking that this is how it should be.  Well, there is a lot of place for improvement.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 08:31 AM by Krisnow »

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2021, 09:53 AM »
Kris

Do you know the dia of the pistons in the V650 calipers.
I can then put them into my spreadsheet and see how far away from the ideal ratio of ~1:27 it is 👍👍

This is the one I did for my V1k Mk2 where it shows with the 14mm MC the Std setup is about 1:34 which as we know is very soft and spongy in feel 🥴

Have now created a tab for V650 👍

Richard    :001: 

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2021, 11:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Kris

Do you know the dia of the pistons in the V650 calipers.
I can then put them into my spreadsheet and see how far away from the ideal ratio of ~1:27 it is 👍👍

This is the one I did for my V1k Mk2 where it shows with the 14mm MC the Std setup is about 1:34 which as we know is very soft and spongy in feel 🥴

Have now created a tab for V650 👍

yes, i am familiar with these calculations, as I have done them myself.  i am not really agreeing with their conclusion what is hard and what is soft.  Anyway, there seems to be serious mistake in the first line that shows our OEM ratio.  2827 divided by 153 is a little above 18:1, not 34:1. if this is the case it is VERY hard! 

ok, with my brembo callipers (8x34mm) and 14mm MC, the ratio is around 47:1!!!  one would think, it is crazy soft, but actually the brakes work great, and the brake lever travels just a little. 

with the recommended by Brembo (for racing) 19mm MC the ratio is around 25:1, which I find much too hard.   with the Brembo 17mm that I am going to install, the ratio is around 31:1, and I find it just right, the stopping power is great and effortless. 

Of course, there is also a matter of personal preferences, but one thing is undeniable - with the V650, one has to press the lever rather hard to stop that thing in the case of emergency, (unsafe) using much effort, which equals - too big piston in the master cylinder.  with 12.7mm MC the ration would be 22.3:1, still on the hard side, but better.  I hope I have not made errors in calculations :)
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 12:42 PM by Krisnow »

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Krisnow [+]
yes, i am familiar with these calculations, as I have done them myself.  i am not really agreeing with their conclusion what is hard and what is soft.  Anyway, there seems to be serious mistake in the first line that shows our OEM ratio.  2827 divided by 153 is a little above 18:1, not 34:1. if this is the case it is VERY hard! 

ok, with my brembo callipers (8x34mm) and 14mm MC, the ratio is around 47:1!!!  one would think, it is crazy soft, but actually the brakes work great, and the brake lever travels just a little. 

with the recommended by Brembo (for racing) 19mm MC the ratio is around 25:1, which I find much too hard.   with the Brembo 17mm that I am going to install, the ratio is around 31:1, and I find it just right, the stopping power is great and effortless. 

Of course, there is also a matter of personal preferences, but one thing is undeniable - with the V650, one has to press the lever rather hard to stop that thing in the case of emergency, (unsafe) using much effort, which equals - too big piston in the master cylinder.  with 12.7mm MC the ration would be 22.3:1, still on the hard side, but better.  I hope I have not made errors in calculations :)
Kris

Calculation is correct.

Note:
1. The picture is showing the V1k Calipers calculation  :028:
2. There are 8 off pistons in the V1k two front calipers
    4 off @ 30mm dia and 4 off @ 28mm dia
    Therefore total area is 5290 mm2 and that is what I have used in the calculation.

Hope this clarifies  :031:

« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 01:25 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: