Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Fitting Brembo Callipers  (Read 9835 times)

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Ko Samui
Re: Fitting Brembo Callipers
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2021, 03:14 AM »
so I installed the Brembo radial 17mm MC, and it gives great feel, but I have to say that the OEM 14mm MC worked just fine.  In fact, surprisingly, the lever moves more or less the same distance before the brakes bite. 

ps. Considering that the V1000 has smaller calliper pistons, 14mm MC should be just fine for that particular bike.  there are many variables with brakes, and the table of best ratios between MC and callipers should not be completely trusted; one has to feel what is best for one's bike.  I still believe that 12.7mm MC would be the best for stock set up on V650.

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2021, 05:41 AM »
one more thing regarding of sponginess.  I have tried recently improve brakes on my friend's V300.  the issue was and still is that the brake pads do not have enough bite.  and it is strange as V300 has the same calliper as 650 (just a single one), and we installed a floating Galfer rotor (I had good experience with their rotors) plus we fitted a good quality brembo brake pads.  And yet, it still remains spongy even though the brake lever travel is just a bit.  Fitting stainless brake lines could make some improvement but I did not see them in the market yet.

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2021, 04:08 PM »
i am fitting V1000 fork legs to 650, with the OEM Tocico callipers.   the original MC is 14mm.  i have 2 of the brembo MC, 17mm and 15mm.  i wonder which one to use.  I noticed that Brembo radial Mc is generally softer than the OEM axial; more modulation, but softer for sure.

it is funny that they put the same MC in 650 as in 1000, even though there are 8 pistons in 1000 and 4 in 650.

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2021, 04:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Krisnow [+]
i am fitting V1000 fork legs to 650, with the OEM Tocico callipers.   the original MC is 14mm.  i have 2 of the brembo MC, 17mm and 15mm.  i wonder which one to use.  I noticed that Brembo radial Mc is generally softer than the OEM axial; more modulation, but softer for sure.

it is funny that they put the same MC in 650 as in 1000, even though there are 8 pistons in 1000 and 4 in 650.

Kris

With regards to a V1k Mk2 better setup:

I did ask www.Carpimoto.com, on this link HERE, what they would advise on the best axial or radial M/C to fit   :exclamation:

Question:
I am looking for a better feeling master cylinder for my 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000.
The OEM setup is a 14mm Axial M/C and each calliper has two off 1-3/16 (30.2mm) and two off 1-1/16 (26.97mm) pistons in each caliper.
At the moment the feel is still very long and spongy (I have already replaced Brake Lines with Hel).
What types / sizes of Radial and Axial Master cylinders would you recommend upgrading to to give a better feel on the road  :question:
Thanks in advance :-)

Answer:
The correct upgrade will be a 15mm radial (modulable) or a 16mm axial master cylinder (still modulable) or a 17 radial (more power, less modulable).

Hope this helps
Richard    :001: 

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2021, 04:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Kris

With regards to a V1k Mk2 better setup:

I did ask www.Carpimoto.com, on this link HERE, what they would advise on the best axial or radial M/C to fit   :exclamation:

Hope this helps

thanks!  the issue is that Brembo radial Mc is softer than axial.  I will first try 15mm Brembo and if it is too soft, I have spare 17mm Brembo Mc...

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:03 PM »
thanks!  the issue is that Brembo radial Mc is softer than axial.  I will first try 15mm Brembo and if it is too soft, I have spare 17mm Brembo Mc...
Kris

Please let us know the outcome of which M/C you find best and what the improvement are over the OEM 14mm 😎

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2021, 12:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Kris

Please let us know the outcome of which M/C you find best and what the improvement are over the OEM 14mm 😎

I will let you know as soon as the forks arrive.  I would disagree with the Caprimoto's answer.  He says that the correct set up is 15mm radial or 16axial.  the axial is much harder than radial (brembo); the brakes would become completely wooden.  I remember that a few years ago, I tried both 19 and 17 RCS with the stock Tokico callipers (before replacing them with Brembo M4), and while the 19mm radial was definitely too hard, the 17 had a nice feel.  But it was a while ago, and I was not yet that sensitive with brakes at that time.

I have another example 'radial vs axial mc'.  We tried on my Versys 300 friend's bike, with single floating calliper, both 14mm axial (OEM is 12.7mm) and 14RCS brembo.  with the axial, it was impossible to drive that bike, the brake lever did not have any play.  On the other side, with 14mm radial, the brake is perfect, though a touch on the soft side.  I have no idea why Radial MC with the same piston size is softer than axial??  But I would say, if one wants to go for a bigger MC, when switching to Radial I would go at least 2mm higher.  I believe that fitting 15RCS in V1000 would give you similar lever movement as the stock one, though probably a better feel.
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2021, 12:27 AM by Krisnow »

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2021, 01:34 AM »
I just want to make a correction.  it is the case with BREMBO radial master cylinders, that their sizes does not match the axial ones.  I have Magura 12mc on couple of my smaller bikes, and the number of mc actually corresponds to the size of axial mcs.  but with Brembo it is weird.  I have been trying to fix the brakes in my friend's Versys 300 in all kind of ways.  they are just not so good.  anyway, I fitted 14mm radial brembo and it was too soft and then I put back the OEM 12.7 and now is good, even though slightly on the hard size.  the Brembo 14rcs was too spongy and the pads were not biting.  I thought, it was an issue with having air in the system, and then I thought it is an issue of brake pads.  But the issue was the the MC was just too soft.  the bike has by the way, a single floating calliper, exactly the same as in V650/

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2021, 01:57 PM »
Ok, I fitted the V1000 front forks to 650.  It was a bigger job than I expected.  I thought that only the lower part of the triple tree needed to be enlarged.  But then I realised that I need to fit a bigger axel and bigger bearings in the front wheel.  So more machine work was needed.  Luckily, in Thailand, is was all rather cheap, like 75 usd.

anyways, I am very satisfied with the result and getting rid of the skinny oem front forks.

but then about brakes.  I tried the 'monoblocks' tokico callipers first. and my conclusion was that Brembo 17RCS works relatively great with them. the only problem was that these callipers just suck.  they not really monoblocks, as they have their 2 halves screwed together, by the way.  So at the end I came back to fit back the Brembo M4 callipers, and there is just no comparison.  But if one wants to stick with the Tokico callipers, Bermbo 17RCS is the best option.  I understand that people do not want to spend much money, but in that case the OEM set up should work just fine with not so much picky customers.
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2021, 02:19 PM by Krisnow »

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2021, 09:39 PM »
I tried the 'monoblocks' tokico callipers first. and my conclusion was that Brembo 17RCS works relatively great with them. the only problem was that these callipers just suck.  they not really monoblocks, as they have their 2 halves screwed together, by the way.  So at the end I came back to fit back the Brembo M4 callipers, and there is just no comparison.  But if one wants to stick with the Tokico callipers, Bermbo 17RCS is the best option.  I understand that people do not want to spend much money, but in that case the OEM set up should work just fine with not so much picky customers.

Kris

Thanks for the info on the 17mm Radial being best  :028:

What difference does the 18mm vs 20mm pump lever ratio make to the OEM calliper setup feel like  :question: