Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Just  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Just
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2021, 01:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by whiskydave [+]
Snowdonia.....is that the one the senile ex copper was on about.  :027:...... :107:.

Dave,

Please tell me who you are referring to  as I don't know anyone in this area fitting that description.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
Dave,

Please tell me who you are referring to  as I don't know anyone in this area fitting that description.

Dave T

I might be able to take a guess on this.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I might be able to take a guess on this.

Please let me know as I might know him, being as I am a retired officer. 

Dave T :027: :027:
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2021, 02:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
Please let me know as I might know him, being as I am a retired officer. 

Dave T :027: :027:

I think Dave needs to tell you, I might be wrong in who I am thinking about :007:

Offline bobthebiker

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2021, 07:38 PM »
It would be fantastic if things got better and we could have the NVM😎🤞 I missed Geoffs in 19 which I regret and last years I was in the Alps. Only got back to the UK the day after it🤦‍♂️

So it would be really nice if Covid could oblige us & sod off😥😥

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2021, 10:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by bobthebiker [+]
It would be fantastic if things got better and we could have the NVM😎🤞 I missed Geoffs in 19 which I regret and last years I was in the Alps. Only got back to the UK the day after it🤦‍♂️

So it would be really nice if Covid could oblige us & sod off😥😥
I'll second that   :152:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Dilbert

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:30 AM »
The bad news is that I'm free that weekend and Mrs Dilbert may need to come along and hug everyone, you have been warned.

The last T800 meet we had in Betsy the Co-ed in Sept, it rained torrentially all morning, we floated gracefully down Llanberis Pass and past TM's old workplace  :016:
Just passin' through

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2021, 01:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
The bad news is that I'm free that weekend and Mrs Dilbert may need to come along and hug everyone, you have been warned.

The last T800 meet we had in Betsy the Co-ed in Sept, it rained torrentially all morning, we floated gracefully down Llanberis Pass and past TM's old workplace  :016:
Ah yes the Llanberis pass.    I have many happy memories of the region. One of which was the The Dragon rally at Glyn padarn  ( could be spelt wrong ), if memory serves the site we camped at was an old army barracks  :187:.

Oh how we enjoyed being frozen stiff all weekend, but when you are young and daft, what the hell.  I lived in Oldham at the time ,  we left on Friday evening after work with 14 other brave souls. I remember vividly that on that day a huge snow storm had  blown in, the whole of the North of England, and Wales, was snowed under.

No gritters in those days  :187: and all the roads were 6 inches deep in snow.  I was on a 500 velocette Venom.  After multiple get offs in the snow, which involved every single one of us, my first one was in Manchester, after just 12 miles, with 2 others to follow.

We arrived in Altrincham , as we arrived at the main road from there to Chester we were stopped by the police who informed us that  the road had been deemed impassable, so had been closed.

We explained to the officer what we had endured just to get that far, and that we were going on a rally in Wales .  He told us that he thought that we were all insane, but amazingly let us through.  He gave us strict instructions, that if any other officers spoke to us later, we were to say nothing about ever seeing, or speaking with him.

At around midnight we arrived it Capel curig, to be greeted by road closed sign, which would have taken us through to the Llanberis pass.  As we sat pondering what to do, 2 German lads appeared out of the darkness, they had tried to get through to the pass, but told us that it was blocked by ten foot snow drifts. So after pacing up and down and waving arms and legs about desperately trying to get blood flowing to parts of our bodies that had long since stopped flowing blood. We were ready for the final leg of the journey.

Out of the 15 of us that had left home, only 9 of us remained, the other 6 had ever given up and gone home, or stopped at a b & b in Chester.

So the rest of us set off to avoid the pass and approach via Caernarfon.  On arriving there, another one of the group gave up, his goggles frozen to his face, and almost losing the will to live, he was taken in by an old couple in a private house . They probably saved his life.

We arrived at the Dragon rally site at 3 am.  It had taken us over 9 hours to do the just over 100 miles from home, every single inch of the way was a nightmare. And every single mile whilst being  frozen stiff  :43:  and unable to feel the controls of the bike. The nightmare actually did us all a favour. It taught us that doing things like that in absolute rubbish riding gear ( in my case, a knackered Belstaff jacket, wellies, crap gloves, and thin walking over trousers, and I was one of the better prepared  :5: of the group )

But ya know, I really enjoyed that weekend, all be it, in a masochistic kind of way. It learned us all lots of things, including resilience, endeavour and comradeship. There wasn't a single one of the 8 of us that completed the rally that would have done that rally in those conditions, if we had had to do it on our own.

And I'm pretty certain that I wont have to do the NVM in those conditions in September  :002:

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2021, 02:16 PM »
I'm already eagerly looking forward to that :36:

Dinorwig - the Electric Mountain - Was there for part of my Apprenticeship during its construction  :152:

I'm the one in the yellow jacket standing in the 30m main inlet tunnel at the bottom of the 65m Surge Shaft  :goggle:

Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2021, 03:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
I'm already eagerly looking forward to that :36:   Perv

Dinorwig - the Electric Mountain - Was there for part of my Apprenticeship during its construction  :152:

I'm the one in the yellow jacket standing in the 30m main inlet tunnel at the bottom of the 65m Surge Shaft  :goggle:

That can't be you Richard.   He is a slim bloke.   :015: