Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: North on the A3  (Read 4794 times)

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLE650 & KLR650
  • City / Town: Brisbane, Aus
Re: North on the A3
« Reply #60 on: Feb 28, 2021, 02:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

"13 hours, 35 minutes of daylight during the summer solstice..." .... at the tropic. More as you move toward the pole, fewer toward the equator.

Clever, 'tho, that the spire moves. Must be on rails. Bull pull?  :whistle:.

Interesting stuff.

Rob.

Yes, clever, but they are a bit behind with the moving. 600m north looks like an empty car yard - the perfect place!

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:12 AM »
Heading south on the A1, the main highway around the country.

coal on it's way to the export port

That's enough science, let's have some history.

This is not a pleasant ride. It's hot. There's lots of traffic. There are limited overtaking opportunities. There are roadworks to stop at. Did I say it was hot? After only about 45 minutes I took a break in the sun opposite the Raglan Tavern. Tavern? tempting, but there where actually things to do this afternoon. 

But, fear not, this is actually a (short) road to somewhere.

Years ago, many years ago, more years than I realized, I used to live down this way. So, this is a little trip down Memory Lane.

The railway line. See the pylons holding up the wires - I marked out their position. Back in about '86, I walked this line with an engineering plan, a bag of wooden pegs, a tape measure & a marker pen marking the position of the pylons. Then I would go back and change them because the engineers had either given me the wrong plan or changed their minds. After the hole was drilled, the formwork was in place and the bolts/reinforcing rods hung, I would go back & check that it was the correct one in the correct place. Exciting, not, but it paid very well.

I did (some of) that

Turn left at Mt Larcom onto the Gladstone Mt Larcom Road. Wanna guess where I'm going? Yep, Gladstone. A port & industrial city. That I moved to, in '77. With my family - I was in my first year of high school.

I had thought I would make a video of my tour - to show my family, not you. It was quite interesting, in a personal way. But I didn't actually turn the camera on. But, fortunately, I found this out before leaving so I could do some of it again. But this time I didn't plug the microphone in properly. Destiny! Anyway, here are a few stills from the video.

the old port

Down there, in the garden, used to be where we would abseil down the cliff, back when you could just turn up and do it. We had proper ropes tied to proper rocks - or was it trees? lengths of seat-belt webbing to tie into a harness, a couple of carabiners to hold it all together and some gardening gloves to run the rope through. It was an awesome time!

no more abseiling then

There was a movie theatre in town, just the one, but it did have a red/maroon velour/velvet entrance, with canvas hammocks for sitting and a wooden floor for rolling empty drink bottles & jaffas down (I didn't, as I sat near the front). I remember seeing the first Star Wars movie there.

gone

school - lots of new buildings, and a few old memories

Do you remember when Pizza Hut was a hut? The stand-alone building marked a sense of occasion, where you could eat inside, rather than a characterless shopfront for just collecting. Well, it was over there. But I don't think we ever went. I do remember not wanting to eat pizza as it was just too weird. Seriously! I've got over that.

progress

My old street

house looks the same, I wonder if they still have the brown carpet, it wouldn't have worn out

Ah, the things you remember. A couple of weeks into the new school year I crashed my bike at the bottom of this hill - it's a hard right, hard left & another hard right, but I didn't even make the first one this time. I woke up in the ambulance with concussion, a broken collar bone and a couple of weeks off school to watch the cricket on tv. So not all bad then!

ouch

Just down the road from here was the take-away shop that had, wait for it, pinball machines AND computer games. But I couldn't go there, I just wasn't tough enough - some of the boys even had ear-rings and smoked.

too cool for me

And now for another look-out. But this one used not to actually be a lookout. It was just a big hill with a communications (?) tower and a washed-out dirt track for access. So we would go up there in the old Land Rover, bouncing left & right, spitting rocks, in & out of drainage channels. It was great. And no permission required. But today it's a bitumen road that isn't even open.

more fun back in the day

And the Land Rover, a series 11a my father says, but I remember it as a series 3, was great for going to the drive-in movies too - plenty of space for deck chairs. But that's gone too.

gone, no more drive in movies

Time for one last photo - the old scout hut. Well, this is where it was.

gone too

That'll do for the history, I would have done more if I hadn't messed up the camera and wasted an hour as there is lots more to see - the ten pin bowling alley, skate rink, the supermarket where I had my first job, the alumina refinery & aluminium smelter, the beach (the other spot for fish and chips in the park by the beach like we did in the old days), the car dealer which had a Lamborghini Muira on display, the tennis club where I didn't go to school disco's (yes, they were called "discos" then), the soccer (ok, football then) fields that have been taken over by the airport...

Hey, did your Dad ever make the joke about the cemetery being in the very middle of town?

the dead centre of town

On the far right are the 3 smoke stacks of the power station.

off to Calliope

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #62 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:59 AM »
Now back to the riding...

West, cross the highway, through Calliope and west again towards Biloela. Then wonder about that side road that went direct to Monto. And stop to check the map. Hmm, that looks more interesting. There is a bit of dirt, but the map is quite old so surely it's bitumen by now. Surely! I turned around, passing on the Sunday night delights of Biloela and went straight to Monto. It was worth it! You'll just have to trust me on this, it was worth it. Winding roads through farmland and forest, following the river between the mountains, through a few small villages (Ubobo was the biggest) & past several fantastic looking camping reserves and onto Builyan for a break, as I saw the shop was open. And they had cake & choccy milk.

time for break

travel food, now this is travel food

And on to Many Peaks then through the Glassford State Forest towards Kalpowar. Smooth road, rolling hills heading up into the mountain, very little traffic, warn but not hot. It's about as good as it gets.

new creek crossings, but old gravel road

And so the bitumen did end, but very little of the gravel was thick and the foundation was mostly smooth, so it's was easy.

looking downstream on one of the many new creek crossings

up stream into the hills

Sorry, I couldn't stop for more photo's, sometimes you just need to ride.

It was wonderful, one of the best afternoons I've ever had riding.

And then down the range, through more grazing land and into Monto to the caravan park for a room - they have a pool, so the decision was easy!

After a leisurely swim, it was off to the Grand Hotel for a feed and a cold beer - I didn't risk the steak and went for "old faithful" the chicken parmy. It didn't disappoint!

Today's map

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #63 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:46 AM »
 :123A: :123A: :123A:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #64 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:44 PM »

Yeah, excellent stuff.

I like the way you write for yourself, with almost total disregard for your reader.  Your level of engagement brings it to life.
Plays to the inner voyeur  :whistle:.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #65 on: Feb 28, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Great stuff- keep it coming.
Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #66 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Yeah, excellent stuff.

I like the way you write for yourself, with almost total disregard for your reader.  Your level of engagement brings it to life.
Plays to the inner voyeur  :whistle:.

Rob.

Thanks Rob

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #67 on: Mar 01, 2021, 05:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
Great stuff- keep it coming.
Dave T

:031: Unfortunately only one day to go

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #68 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:35 AM »
So, this will be Monday then. Day 4. But as I'm away riding it's not really a Monday at all...

Monto has things to look at, so I go for a look.

A building. Art Deco style no less.

council offices

And up the hill to the water tower.

the water tower, on the top of the hill

titled "Fun and Freedom"

And now back to the road for some more fun & freedom, but first

put the key in. no I'm not so old that I need one of those "proximity" electric keys, or am I?

And because it's Monto, the rains come (same as they did on the way north).

the back streets of Monto

Windmills. Did you try to keep your kids busy with the windmill game - I think it was just a counting competition. Problem. The windmills are being replaced with sunmills, and they just don't look as interesting, plus you can't see them working. And birds can't nest in them.

more progress - solar powered water pumps

The rain was just enough to remind me of what rain is, but as it was a warm morning and only going to get hotter, I didn't bother with the rain liner. Getting a bit wet wouldn't be a problem today. So I just rode on, rolling through the grazing & cropping lands, listening to a few tunes and reading roadside advisory signs. I wish that they (the government) would stop with the ALL CAPS, there's no need to shout, and regular writing is much easier to read - particularly when glancing at road signs [rant over].

"Don't die on rural roads"

There's a bit of grain grown around here, so there are also grain silos beside the old railway line. The railway to the coast was completed in September 1928, but eventually, the trains ceased and the railway line became completely unused after the last train, a celebratory journey on an old steam train, came through from Monto to Maryborough in 2005 - thanks again Wikipedia.

me taking a photo of the silos

the painting depicts two stories of the "3 Moon" legend

Here are the stories https://www.australiansiloarttrail.com/three-moon

shed - check day 2 for north bound photo

While we are thinking of legends & mysteries... There are (supposedly?) many unknown and rarely seen creatures living & hiding around here. They struggle to survive now that most of the real bush has been cleared, but occasionally, just occasionally, they stumble across humans.

a warning for visitors & locals alike

Aboriginals tell the story of fearsome booming monsters...

a Bunyip, don't say you haven't been warned

Don't doubt what you don't know - https://montomagic.com.au/the-bunyip-hole/

Sticking to the main road, the might A3, currently called the Burnett Highway, I rolled happily & (hopefully) safely south.

$15.23 for fuel at Goomeri and some more travel food, and the thought of a pie at the Bakery in Blackbutt for me.

a lot of pies in that load

My favourite bakery

yum, pie time

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #69 on: Mar 01, 2021, 02:03 PM »
What windscreen is that and how well does it work?