Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: This Tyre Plug Can Kill You How to Best Fix a Flat  (Read 1691 times)

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Offline mac one

• Versys God
Re: This Tyre Plug Can Kill You How to Best Fix a Flat
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:58 PM »
Well the tyre plug that i had in my rear tyre for two years worked great and i will use them again  , used three times so far with no trouble.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:12 AM »
Like FortNine, he does some great YouTube videos.

The tyre stuff he's done in the past is really good. Loads of useful bits on his channel.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Ko Samui
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:52 AM »
What about patching a tire from Inside?  I have done it once and there was no issue.   Not sure how safe it is.  But it seem rather safe.

Offline Topbox

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2021, 04:20 PM »
I've seen the video. He';s pretty scathing towards mushrron plugs.

As it happens I had a puncture a few weeks ago on a short tour to Scotland and a string plug worked brilliantly.

However, I also have the mushroom type on my shelf, from when I had two bikes, and they certainly are simple to use. I can't help feeling the test he used to show the mushroom failing was contirived and alarmist. Especially as they are most effect with rubber glue which is not clear if it had time to set.

Quick learning point. When I was fixing my puncture and trying to push the  string plug into the tyre I only went and pushed the bloody bike off the centre stand. Which isn't a gret position to be in on your knees befind a bike thats just balancing. Any hoo the lesson is tie the front brake lever to stop this happening.

TB

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2021, 04:32 PM »
The stop n go tyre plugs that i use don't come with glue, i think it's because modern tyres are a lot softer than years gone by so no chance of air leaking out . The mushroom plugs that i used way back in the 70s  which were made by Dunlop were supplied with glue.

Offline Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2021, 02:35 PM »
I've used Stop N Go mushrooms a few times, and while they got me home, they're fiddly and never sealed very well, so I stopped carrying the kit.  Gummy worms are simple to use, cheap, readily available, take up little space, and seal well.  I can't see a reason to use anything else currently on the market.  Not scientific; just my 40+ years of riding experience.
2015 Versys 650 "ABS" model

Offline healdem

• Versys God
  • Macclesfield, Cheshire
  • Bike: '11 Tiger800 ABS
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2021, 04:08 PM »
ive never had a good expewrience with gummy strings
I have had two good experiences with plugs.

my vote (for what its worth) is plug. there is no risk of sealant drying off as the kit ages...And givent hat Ivbe had 4 punctures in 13  years the need to repair a puncture  there is a risk the strings could dry up or become contaminated.

All repair kits advise you get the tyre proferssionaly  sealed with a vulcanised patch... they are a get you home reapir NOT a ride till you've shagged the tyre fix.

Personally I think Fort9 is a bit of a bell end.

Offline Rictus

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 LT/ Mk3 GT
  • City / Town: South London
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2021, 02:51 AM »
Couple of weekends back I had a frount punture up in Keilder forest on a thousand mile extended weekend, sticky string fixed it in about 3 minutes and it didn't loss a single psi in the remaining 450 miles of the trip, I've used the same system for over 25yrs and carry it on all my bikes (the addition of three co2 cartragies supplies adequate refill gas), applies properly I've never known it to leak or "pop" out (although in fairness I've seen it applied poorly and had to step in and "take over" a couple of times, when people have claimed to know how it's done).
Mark.