Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Front calliper renovation advice please!  (Read 571 times)

Offline Len Grundy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 650 Versys
  • City / Town: Turners Hill
Front calliper renovation advice please!
« on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:40 PM »
Good evening everyone, wondering if I could have some advice from those members with far greater knowledge than me. I have a 2007 MK1 V  :2:. I have just tried to refurbish the calipers, and they definitely needed it. I had no problems with the rear caliper and all went smoothly :38: However it all went wrong with the front two. I had to remove the pistons as they were jammed and binding on the discs. I have put them all back together and bled the calipers, but can't get them to work. I am not getting any more air out but seem to have a small fountain of brake fluid popping out of the reservoir when applying the front leaver. Am I missing something here please. If it is screamingly obvious to you nice people please forgive my ignorance :187: Would someone please put me out of my misery. :012: Thank you in advance for any guidance here.
Cheers Len.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
Re: Front calliper renovation advice please!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:02 PM »
Seems like the pistons are still sticking, put the top on the master cylinder and try the brakes with the wheel off the ground to see if the brakes are still binding. Was there any rust on the piston ?

Offline Len Grundy

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:38 PM »
macone, thank you very much for the speed of your reply and content. I hadn't thought of that one, but in answer to your question, no there wasn't much corrosion, the pistons polished up nicely considering the state of the calipers and the amount of corrosion on the pads. Unfortunately it is raining here today and I have to work outside so I can't tackle it again today but will keep everyone posted. If the pistons are sticking still do you think I have done something wrong, is the only solution to remove them and start again :138: Brake fluid isn't the most expensive stuff but don't want to waste it unless I have to. Thank you again, regards Len.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:44 PM »
To check if one of the pistons are sticking remove a caliper and slide the pads away from the pistons, then get someone to very slowly pull on the brake, then wedge the piston that moves out, gently pull the brake again to check the other piston. To get the pistons back you will probably need to open the bleed valve as you push back the piston then close the bleed valve and that way you won't need to re bleed that caliper.Top up the master cylinder then repeat on the other caliper. If one pistons is difficult to push back that's the sticky one. Note that it's unlikely both pistons will push out at the exact same time. If there is a sticky piston then it's worth changing  all the seals as it's not a hard job. good luck.

Offline Len Grundy

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Mac one, thank you once again for taking the time to answer my question and pass on your advice and wisdom. The weather is supposed to get better during this week so I will try and get out there and follow your instructions. I did pick up another set of seals today from the dealer so I should be well prepared should I find a sticking piston :002: Let's hope that sorts it out, as I would like to get out on it :biker1:, rather than spend hours repairing it. I am starting to see why so many of you like to do your own maintenance though, as my MOT and full service were only back in September and I am finding it hard to believe that a good mechanic could allow my brakes to be considered acceptable.  :006: Perhaps it's just me being fussy. Many thanks again, regards Len. :031:

Offline Len Grundy

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Mac one, I have managed to sort the calipers, thanks to your in put. I have had them apart again and started all over from scratch. The front calipers are now working well again. I have been out on the test ride :biker1: the bike feels like a new machine. It might sound silly but it feels amazingly light to push around,  :138: I hadn't realized the sticking calipers had obviously been creeping up on me without realizing it :124: Still It was a learning curve. Thank you once again for your advice :020:. Safe riding and best wishes, regards Len.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:49 PM »
Glad it's all sorted, recently done my kit car 10 pistons equals bloody nightmare.