Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Bike Paddock Stands - or straight for centre stand?  (Read 5657 times)

Online NI-Jay

• Versys Master
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
Re: Bike Paddock Stands - or straight for centre stand?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Glad to be of service!  :152:
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!
V650 GT 2018 (2018 - 2020)
V1K SE GT 2020 (2020 - Present)

Offline Biker410

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys650
  • City / Town: WORKSOP
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Hi all, being bit of a newbie, sorry, have '09 -650,obviously no centre stand so looking into Paddock stand, but which? I look on sites, Facebook, ebay etc and see many different 1's with different' ends '(where axle) sits.sedn a post once a out height ! So question-how do I know which will fit mine.? Thanks.
  Pics if poss as well please.

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2021, 04:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biker410 [+]
Hi all, being bit of a newbie, sorry, have '09 -650,obviously no centre stand so looking into Paddock stand, but which? I look on sites, Facebook, ebay etc and see many different 1's with different' ends '(where axle) sits.sedn a post once a out height ! So question-how do I know which will fit mine.? Thanks.
  Pics if poss as well please.

I just bought this stand for my 2013 650. Fits fine and I just put some M10 hex bolts (£2) for the bobbin holes rather than fork out for bobbins (£20).
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Sylvester

• Versys God
  • Bike: Black (& Silver)
  • City / Town: Chorleywood
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2021, 04:50 PM »
I have one very similar ... maybe even the same.
Ride as if your life depended on it.

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2021, 04:51 PM »
My advice would be don't bother with lift from the rear jobbies, I never felt that they were safe on the initial lift stage.

I now use a Abba stand, much safer, and you're are able to take both wheels out at the same time, which is very handy at tyre change time.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2021, 03:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
My advice would be don't bother with lift from the rear jobbies, I never felt that they were safe on the initial lift stage.

I now use a Abba stand, much safer, and you're are able to take both wheels out at the same time, which is very handy at tyre change time.

:028: +1

https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=superbike-stand&pid=1

A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Is the bit that it is stood on the genuine Abba board  :question:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #17 on: Apr 26, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Hi 100 Miles,

Yes it is indeed the official ABBA base plate.

Another picture, including the 'Front Lift Arm' here too.

It doesn't look much in the pictures, but the front wheel is actually off the ground, enough for me to spin it freely by hand.

I tried to add some more photo's, but the file size was too big apparently  :lostit:

The base plate has adjustable legs, and quite a lot of adjustment.

The pictures taken are on a slight slope but the base plate kept the bike level. This was the first time I used it, late last summer. I've since fiddled with the adjustment more and it works well. Although I have discoverd that the base isn't actually needed to get the back wheel off the ground. And it can be done just using the stand.
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2021, 08:19 AM by Shandy »
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Micklel

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 ABS
  • City / Town: Stamford
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 10:58 AM »
I know this post is kind of finished but I went & bought (ages ago) the Oxford big black rear stand & itís pretty hard even impossible (managed it twice I think) to get up by myself & not even that easy with two people.  The bike actually tipped over once & I very nearly popped something out of my groin 😳 I think itís the height of the forks from the wheels although itís mega stable once itís up.  Any makes that are easy to use in your opinions please 🤔
Honda c50, Honda CB175, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT750, Suzuki GS1000E, HD1200 Sport, Yamaha Fazer 600, Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 03:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Micklel [+]
I know this post is kind of finished but I went & bought (ages ago) the Oxford big black rear stand & itís pretty hard even impossible (managed it twice I think) to get up by myself & not even that easy with two people.  The bike actually tipped over once & I very nearly popped something out of my groin 😳 I think itís the height of the forks from the wheels although itís mega stable once itís up.  Any makes that are easy to use in your opinions please 🤔

Is it this one?

Lifting is all about technique.  It seems pretty much like every other stand, so I doubt it's a problem with this stand in particular. 

But, I see this has the flat section only, no forks for swingarm bobbins.  Having bobbins and a stand with forks makes lifting the bike by yourself a lot easier.  I see Oxford sell them separately:

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/workshop/bobbin_forks_for_rear_paddock_stand/

Does your stand already have the forks or are you lifting just with those flat pads?  The problem with the standard setup is that most newer bikes have a pretty steeply angle swingarm, making the pads slide easily, and I can see how that would lead to the bike falling over.  If your stand doesn't have the forks, add them (and bobbins, obviously...  :001:), it'll make lifting the bike a lot simpler and safer.  If you already have them, watch some video of how it's done.  It's not that difficult once you figure it out. 

Does your bike have a rear rack?  Having something solid to hold on to helps, but if you have a rack and topbox, make sure you remove the box so you can grab on to the rack w/o any interference.  Always helps to do it with help initially.

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton