Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Did you know that there was a belt conversion kit for Versys 650?  (Read 1431 times)

Online Doug Just Doug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Newark, Delaware
Would it be best to remove the swing arm to install a belt, just like for an endless chain, or am I not visualizing it correctly?  PITA I know, which is why I've always replaced an OE endless chain with a link or rivet-type master link. 
2015 Versys 650 "ABS" model

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
*Originally Posted by Kawaboy [+]
A belt is great on the vast majority of roads. But a gravelly, broken up wet road is not good. As I found out up in Scotland on the F800GT In October last year up Glen Lyon. No real harm done but a stone punctured the belt. Didn't harm the pulley though and the belt is still serviceable. 
I'll be avoiding the rough stuff on the F800 in future.  But the belt drive is one of the several cracking features of the bike.

You could just rivet a new bit on using the WD(TM) belt repair kit.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
*Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug [+]
Would it be best to remove the swing arm to install a belt, just like for an endless chain, or am I not visualizing it correctly?  PITA I know, which is why I've always replaced an OE endless chain with a link or rivet-type master link.

You have to remove the swingarm in anycase.  There is no way (well, other than with the WD stable) to get the belt around the swingarm axle otherwise.  But look at the Versys swingarm on the left side again.  The reinforcing beam prevents pulling the belt around the swingarm.  If you don't cut one or the other, the belt wold have to ride on top of the reinforcing beam instead of through that gap between them, like the chain does.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Livi Willie

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2007 650
  • City / Town: Livingston
*Originally Posted by riggerjim [+]
In 1958 I had an Arial with a chain case why don't they fit them now
Jim
Iíve had a few MZs, all of which had rubber gaiters over the chain, along with a case round the rear sprocket.
Chain protected from grit and water, back of bike stays clean, no downside at all.
Apart from you canít use an endless type chain.

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
Paul Daniels or Ali Bongo might have some ideas of how to solve that one - if they were still with us  :188:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.