Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Mk1 Valve Clearances  (Read 1658 times)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
Re: Mk1 Valve Clearances
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2021, 12:25 PM »

"Cue the insults from those who know me)"

Who would be so cruel  :027: ?

Those who know you recognise your weight for what it is  :2:.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2021, 01:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Who would be so cruel  :027: ?

You - probably
TM - definitely
WD - incredibly likely
Old Plodder - will be thinking incredibly horrid thoughts but is too nice to put half of them down
100 miles - If Lynne lets him he will
Jonnster - depends if anyone has mentioned Brexit recently to sour his mood
LM - Try and stop him (the amount of return insults owed are too many to mention)
NI Jay - he may have a go but wont really understand whats going on
Club Penguin - may think about it but he would have to be outside in a well ventilated space to give him time to type a reply.
Everyone else - joins in for fun

*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

Those who know you recognise your weight for what it is  :2:.

Far too much after lock down, probably going to be far too much after and I will have to look for another excuse.
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 01:57 PM by Stewie »

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2021, 04:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2WheelDev [+]
At this point I loosen off the centre bolt on the camchain tensioner, crack the bottom bolt, but the top bolt refuses to move  :125: There's not enough space to get a socket on the bolt either... so there I am stuck.... Around 5 hrs of work and I got nowhere!

Then to further insult me, it decides to snow on me whilst I'm reassembling the bike! So I'm now back where I started... guess I'll be coughing up the money to get a garage to have a go!

I love working on my bikes, but when it comes to valve clearances I feel your pain. There is always one bolt isn't there, and it's usually at the end of the job.
I did the job on a VFR 750 1986 and although I checked and double checked my work the bike never sounded great afterwards  :006: This time, as it involves shims, I am going to pay a mechanic the first time and then spend the next 15k miles thinking about doing it myself.  :008:

That's if I can find a mechanic who can be arsed!
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 04:42 PM by anderson »
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #13 on: Apr 12, 2021, 05:09 PM »
So armed with my box of shims, TM's secret resources and my tools I set about checking the valve clearances myself.  All straight forward, strip the bike down... Pull out the coil sticks, and I find that one of them has developed a crack, despite not being the original versys coils and being the Z1000 (iirc) coils :125:

That aside I continue to strip the bike, all is good... I get the top cover off, open up the timing inspection ports and set it to what I though should be the correct the 1/T mark... but that one doesn't line up right.... try the other... that seems to work... and cam lobes are now opposite each other. 2nd cylinder I can't remember where the marks lined up.. was too many hours ago!

Cyl 1#1Cyl 1#2Cyl 2#1Cyl 2#2
Inlet 0.15-0.220.150.150.150.13
Exhaust 0.22-0.310.150.200.180.18

So it would appear that the entire exhaust side is out of spec, plus one of the inlet valves. No problem, let's see what shims are in their currently. At this point I loosen off the centre bolt on the camchain tensioner, crack the bottom bolt, but the top bolt refuses to move  :125: There's not enough space to get a socket on the bolt either... so there I am stuck.... Around 5 hrs of work and I got nowhere!

Then to further insult me, it decides to snow on me whilst I'm reassembling the bike! So I'm now back where I started... guess I'll be coughing up the money to get a garage to have a go!

You mean the cam chain cover?  The space is tight, but if you find the right length tool, it is possible to work on it.  It's a small bolt, shouldn't have that much torque on it.

I'd change all the shims based on those measurements.  You probably need a one size thinner shim on all the intakes and the exhausts that were right at the spec and two sizes smaller for exhausts that were out of spec.

And, I told you to find a different mechanic already, right?   Good luck.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline 2WheelDev

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Teddington
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2021, 06:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
You mean the cam chain cover?  The space is tight, but if you find the right length tool, it is possible to work on it.  It's a small bolt, shouldn't have that much torque on it.

Nope, the Camshaft chain tensioner, on the back right of the engine tucked nicely behind the frame. The top bolt seems to be stuck solid

I'd change all the shims based on those measurements.  You probably need a one size thinner shim on all the intakes and the exhausts that were right at the spec and two sizes smaller for exhausts that were out of spec.
Indeed... was planning to... until I couldn't release the tensioner!

And, I told you to find a different mechanic already, right?   Good luck.
Yup, got another couple of garages to try.. Especially know I know for certain that the valve clearances are out of spec

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2021, 08:05 PM »
Is your hammer big enough?
I generally find that if things don't go right then a bigger hammer will either solve the problem or remove the problem entirely.
Admittedly you might have a new set of 'challenges' but every step is a step forward with the right mindset!

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2021, 09:09 PM »
Yup, got another couple of garages to try.. Especially know I know for certain that the valve clearances are out of spec

I use C B S Whitton, who are not far from you. I could find places closer to me, but they do such a good job I'm happy to take it to them.

Offline 2WheelDev

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Teddington
« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2021, 09:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zipperhead [+]
I use C B S Whitton, who are not far from you. I could find places closer to me, but they do such a good job I'm happy to take it to them.

Cheers for that! I'll have to give them a shout as well!

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #18 on: Apr 15, 2021, 05:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
Don't beat yourself up.
Most of my job is fixing what "professional" Engineers cannot do or have already done badly. (Cue the insults from those who know me)
You should always have a crack at things yourself first, just be honest enough to admit when you are in too deep and get the hell out.
A lot of things are easier than they look but the inverse is also true.

You did find yourself a good Mechanic though and they are worth their weight in gold.

Thanks Stewie, it is uncharacteristically kind you... are you being held hostage? 😜

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2021, 08:39 PM »
I can be nice when it is called for.