Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Touring, Luggage and Parking...  (Read 660 times)

Offline 2WheelDev

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Teddington
Touring, Luggage and Parking...
« on: Apr 07, 2021, 06:00 PM »
So I have my plan for doing my first bike tour, which will see me travel the south coast of the UK. My plan is camp, so will carrying all the associated camping gear.

I do have panniers and topbox for some of the equipment, but the larger items will be in a drybag on the rear seat. Do people have any recommendations on what to do with your luggage when you're stopped. I plan to try and make a number of stops along the way, that might mean parking up for a while.

Do most people just chance it or take their less secure luggage with them?

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
Re: Touring, Luggage and Parking...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2021, 07:27 PM »
I just chance it. Make sure anything especially valuable is locked in a case or on your person. In over 10 years of touring, never had a problem.

I've probably just jinxed myself  :notsure:

I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2021, 08:31 PM »
same as KB, i chance it, even more so in Europe, i have all valuables/paperwork in a small tank bag which go's with me, the rest of it i stopped worrying about ages ago....camping gear and clothes are easily replaced.....not worth the worry

in fact i dont even worry about the bike anymore, its insured, the pita would be getting home...
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2021, 08:33 PM by Wal »

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2021, 11:36 PM »
Something like THIS can be used to stop people making off with the bigger items if you're away from the bike for a while.
Pricey and of course anyone with big enough intent and big enough bolt croppers will be through that. Security theatre at it's best.

I just make sure everything is neatly packed and strapped down and take my tank bag (which turns into a rucksack) for stuff like wallet/phone/meds. A cheap,thin, full-bike dust/rain cover can also deter thieving eyes. Aldi/Lidl sometimes have them in for about £6.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline NI-Jay

• Versys Pro
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2021, 07:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by anderson [+]
Something like THIS can be used to stop people making off with the bigger items if you're away from the bike for a while.
Pricey and of course anyone with big enough intent and big enough bolt croppers will be through that. Security theatre at it's best.

I just make sure everything is neatly packed and strapped down and take my tank bag (which turns into a rucksack) for stuff like wallet/phone/meds. A cheap,thin, full-bike dust/rain cover can also deter thieving eyes. Aldi/Lidl sometimes have them in for about £6.

I always wondered about bike covers...
A determined thief will take what they want in the end of course but surely something worth covering up is worth a look? A bike cover takes seconds to cut off and if itís not worth it for them they just leave it anyway. And youíre down a cover every time.

Thieves now donít seem to care about being seen. Itís the getaway they care about. They just need to hold a hammer and no one is going to challenge them (well maybe not so here in NI).

Iíd be more inclined to add cable protection to the items strapped to my bike. A good thick steel cable with a good lock on show strapping it down to the rear seat works better than any bike cover in my eyes.
A disc lock and chain locks for the wheels.

Chances are a thief will have a knife for your cover, but bolt cutters for the chains and locks? Maybe not.
And covers are bulky to carry sometimes.

Ever put a cover on in the wind? Haha
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!
V650 GT 2018 (2018 - 2020)
V1K SE GT 2020 (2020 - Present)

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2021, 10:55 AM »
That steel net jobby costs more than anything that would be stolen from my bike  :008:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2021, 12:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kawaboy [+]
That steel net jobby costs more than anything that would be stolen from my bike  :008:

:008: :008:
exactly, and you have to carry all that crap around with you on the bike, everything strapped to my bike won't be worth more than £250, not that ive got money to throw away, but balance it out over constant paranoia over it getting stolen

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2021, 01:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kawaboy [+]

Yeah it's a mental price isn't it. Definitely not for me but I have seen ppl use them  :027: If a thief cracks open my panniers all they're getting is dirty gruts and a paperback. No fancy electronic equipment or the like.

I suppose if you have a tent and sleeping bag and bed worth the best part of £1000 it's worth it.  My camping kit is worth 10% of that.
« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2021, 01:42 PM by anderson »
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Wal

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2021, 03:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by anderson [+]
Yeah it's a mental price isn't it. Definitely not for me but I have seen ppl use them  :027: If a thief cracks open my panniers all they're getting is dirty gruts and a paperback. No fancy electronic equipment or the like.

I suppose if you have a tent and sleeping bag and bed worth the best part of £1000 it's worth it.  My camping kit is worth 10% of that.

yeah, all my camping kit is worth less than £250

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2021, 04:57 PM »
I use a Pac-safe when wifey and I are away on holiday - we use it to lock jackets to the Goldwing when panniers are full of holiday stuff and we want to visit somewhere during the daylight hours. I wouldn't be happy using it overnight but parked somewhere in daylight that has people around will hopefully prevent the casual thief from chancing it.

It has quite a tough wire mesh on it, but a good set of bolt cutters would probably see it opened.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.