Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Touring, Luggage and Parking...  (Read 2061 times)

Online Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
Re: Touring, Luggage and Parking...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2021, 03:24 PM »
I often lock my lid to the bike with a small cable lock.
I've thought of doing the same with a longer cable lock through my Jacket sleeves. Like Dave says, no barrier to bolt cutters but I'd take a chance in daylight hours. Having said that, it would cost me over a grand to replace my helmet and leather jacket  :notsure:
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Security is a matter of perception and location.  Your hard bags aren't really secure.  Any amateur thief can get into them in less than a minute if s/he thinks it's worth their while. 

In the time it took us to walk into a restaurant, in a medium sized French city, and ask for a window side table so we can keep an eye on the bikes, someone took a screw driver and forced the top case open and walked away with a laptop...   :125:

OTOH, I have been traveling around the US, Canada and Mexico with a tankbag and a waterproof duffel that stay on the bike at all times (other than at night) and I have never had anything gone missing.  That includes the helmet and jacket that are often left on the bike, unlocked and unsecured (full transparency, I don't do that in Mexico, no need to tempt anybody...  :016:).  Leaving stuff on the bike like that might not work in NYC or Houston, but it works everywhere I want to ride a motorcycle here.

So, my advice is do what you are comfortable with, based on your experience and what people who may have been to those new places you plan to visit say.  But keep in mind that security is mostly in your mind and it's not absolute.

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: MK1 V650
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2021, 10:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Security is a matter of perception and location.  Your hard bags aren't really secure.  Any amateur thief can get into them in less than a minute if s/he thinks it's worth their while. 

Great advice. You get a sense of the security of places and there's a lot to be said for the brazenness of looking confident, which stops you looking like an easy mark. Flashing expensive kit around is just too tempting and attracts the wrong sort of attention, though south coast UK you can probably just park next to an even more expensively equipped machine!
Though not on a motorbike, I travelled on boats up the Amazon which is notorious for opportunistic thefts from tourists, numerous travellers tales of muggings and bulging rucksacks being slashed with a knife, whilst people have it on their back! The first thing I did was go to a market and buy a crappy holdall, big enough to fit my bag inside, it looked like cheap local tat and i never had any bother, even leaving it unattended sometimes when I didnt want to carry it into a stinking toilet.

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2021, 10:58 PM by runtothehills »
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2021, 01:25 AM »

" Leaving stuff on the bike like that might not work in NYC or Houston, but it works everywhere I want to ride a motorcycle here."

Same here. Never had anything stolen from the bike in hundreds of thousands of km.

The worst thing that has ever happened was that over a period of a couple of weeks on long haul, stickers that said "Friends don't let friends ride Kwakas" kept appearing on my helmet when I left it unattended.
 It wasn't until the last day of the trip that my wife confessed that a local Suzuki shop had set her up with the stickers  :192:.

How tasteless can people be? :015:.

Rob.

« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2021, 01:26 AM by uralrob »
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2021, 02:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]

How tasteless can people be? :015:.

If I recall correctly, you asked for permission to come aboard.  The captain said yes.  I don't know, I think you set yourself up for that...    :whistle:

:008:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2021, 03:55 AM »
Speaking of security 'perception, location and confidence' that reminds me of a time I broke down.
The fuel pump was shot and the tow truck did not have a bike-friendly tow available that night, so they suggested giving me a lift home and just leaving the bike in the quiet layby till morning. I was very reticent but my anxieties were reduced somewhat when the tow truck geezer said he would never go near a bike in a layby because he would expect on the other side of the wall was a big, mean, hairy biker taking a dump. He made me laugh so much I had to give him credit for that and we left the bike, and it was fine.

Incredible what comes from the human mind...  :124:

Does anyone watch the lockpicking lawyer on youtube? Fantastic channel. Straight to the point, no BS, fantastic lock reviews  :4:

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2021, 01:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by anderson [+]
Does anyone watch the lockpicking lawyer on youtube? Fantastic channel. Straight to the point, no BS, fantastic lock reviews  :4:

I do, it's fascinating. It makes me think that if I wanted to be really secure I would have a big angry dog bear just inside the door.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2021, 01:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zipperhead [+]
I do, it's fascinating. It makes me think that if I wanted to be really secure I would have a big angry dog bear just inside the door.

Ask TM to borrow his wife.

Online NI-Jay

• Versys Master
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
« Reply #18 on: Apr 14, 2021, 02:05 PM »

*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
Ask TM to borrow his wife.

:4: :4: :4:
 :020: :020: :020: