Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Service do's and don'ts?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Tim650

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Linköping
Service do's and don'ts?
« on: Apr 09, 2021, 03:37 PM »
Hi all!
I've managed to get my hands on the super secret Versys documents which I'll use as a guide to do the 24000 km servicevon my mk1 myself this year. Of course fluids etc, lubrication of all the moving parts. Besides that some extras like a boosterplug (yep I'm one of those suckers who fell for it ;-) ), new stick coils just to be sure and going to have fun with electrics for a usb charging port.

Are there any things to watch out for that the book doesn't warn me for? Or does anyone have any tips besides paying attention and remembering how stuff is taken apart so that I can put it back together properly?

Thanks in advance, and feel free to let me know if these are lazy questions! (Or posted in the wrong section)

Cheers,
Tim
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2021, 04:11 PM by Tim650 »

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Service do's and don'ts?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Hello Tim
I would say watch out for those stick coils they can be a real pain to get out
A little silicone grease when you are putting them back will make them easier to remove next time

J

Offline Tim650

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2021, 12:03 PM »
Yeah I hope it'll be easy, I also have the high temperature grease at the ready to use when I put the new ones in.

Thanks!

Offline Tim650

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2021, 09:03 PM »
Well.. I got the originals out very easy, they were in very good condition and well-greased. Although upon trying to fit the new coils I got from a ZX6RR they didn't go in all the way. They were not just a bit tight, but the rubber sleeve around it was too thick and they also looked a bit different. Did anyone else have this issue?

I wonder if I've been too careful or just ordered the wrong parts.. they are the Mitsubishi F6T560.

I went with the originals with some new grease and that worked without any trouble.

In the end I didn't get to do everything I wanted today, couldn't use the workspace for too long so it'll be a multi-session service! (Which means more tinkering fun for the same price 😉)
Ended up changing oil and the filter, airfilter, spark plugs, coolant, tidying up cables from the USB port and installing the Boosterplug (which seems to make a difference but there was not so much time to try out because Swedish april weather gave me snow today..🙄)

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Nice, always good to hear of people spannering their own bikes. Can't help you with the coils I'm afraid. How much did the boosterplug cost you?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #5 on: Apr 12, 2021, 05:38 PM »
The ZX-6/Mitsubishi F6T560 coils aren't a direct replacement.  They can fit, but it is tight as you discovered and requires a bit more force than the OEM/Denso coils, as you discovered.  If you want direct replacement, there are some years of the Ninja 1000/Z1000, Z750 and ZX-12 that are the same (and obviously, the Ninja/ER 650).

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Tim650

• Versys Member
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2021, 07:15 PM »
Ahh alright, in that case I think I did some faulty research and thought that these would be tighter but not as tight as this. Thanks Gustavo.

Anderson, the Boosterplug was ordered from the Boosterplug website for €134,95. Although I now see they went up to 139,95  :notsure:

Offline 2WheelDev

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Teddington
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2021, 01:28 PM »
So I just fitted my F6T560 Coils to replace the cracked Denso coil... and this is how they look when fitted. I compared them with the original and they are a few mm taller, so expect to to see a bit of the seal protruding.

I gave mine a decent spray of Silicone Lubricant, and they went in fine. Definitely a more snug fit than the originals

Offline Tim650

• Versys Member
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2021, 03:29 PM »
Oh man I think that I had the same.. so it wasn't the rubber that made it not go further, but it was already in position.

Thanks for this clear example 2Wheel!

Also, I might have discovered a don't: I over oiled the air filter and saw some pink oil coming out of the front of the airbox. I read here and there that it is not recommended to have such an oily filter.
So tomorrow I'll clean and redo the airfilter and while the tank is off I might try the stick coils again!

Offline Tim650

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2021, 06:51 AM »
Apologies for keeping on reviving this post!

Sunday was a nice day to be working outside, so took off the tank again and was able to check the air filter.
Luckily the 'clean' part of the air box was still clean, the airfilter sits in a lower part and so the oil collects down there. At the bottom is a small hole for the oil to get out and that's why it had gotten out over the engine.
So my own conclusion is that overoiling an airfilter is definitely possible, probably not as dangerous as I thought at first. Just very annoying it you've been cleaning before.. :whistle:

While being down there I've fitted the replacement stick coils, so thats one less worry as well.

I also have gotten round to installing a radiator guard, since in sweden the municipalities use some kind of gravel in the winter to counter snowy and icy roads. The fit was not perfect, needed some washers but I think the result is nice!