Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Considering another bike.  (Read 8000 times)

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
Considering another bike.
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:51 PM »
Later on this summer Iím considering moving on to another motorcycle. I ride in all weathers so probably something fully faired, with shaft drive and more power. Iím thinking of:
FJR 1300
GTR 1400
R1200RT
Moto Guzzi Stelvio (a later one with the 32l tank) the wildcard
Triumph Trophy (2013 on)

However I do enjoy the Versys and she is a noble steed. I know I few of you have been to ďgreenerĒ grass and Iíd like to hear how that went. Iíd also like to know what brought you back?

Offline suds750

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: BMW traitor
  • City / Town: Wollescote
Re: Considering another bike.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:39 PM »
I moved on to a Bmw f850 gs...it was ok but the seat got uncomfortable pretty quickly so I moved on to an R1200gs Exclusive. For me its probably the best bike Ive ever owned! The only thing I don't like is that the gear box is a bit crunchy!

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 10:19 PM »
Don't forget the on brand options from Kawasaki...

I came to the V650 from the Z1000SX, the 1050 engine from Kawasaki is a real peach!

There's also the V1k don't forget.

I've never really seen the point in going for anything with a bigger engine than that, even the 650 is more than capable of mile munching, two up too. But each to their own.

If you're looking for a go anywhere, do anything daily ride. Other than the V 650, I'd recommend the Triumph Tiger Sport. 1050 triple, beautiful engine and can do anything, touring, two up rides and a daily commuter. I had one and loved it before the Z1000SX.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 01:22 AM »
I don't remember what your riding experience is, but I am guessing the Versys is your first "big" bike.  You have quite the list of potential replacements (and I have no doubt people here will just make it longer), but I don't see a clear trend. 

Other than being big and having a driveshaft for the final drive and a full fairing, what is it that you want this bike to do?  What kind of riding do you do?  And specifically, what do you want it to do that the Versys doesn't do now?  I think those are the questions to ask regardless of how big (or small) your next bike is.

Gustavo

Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 01:51 AM »

I've had a ZG1000, an FJR 1300, and now the V1k, all big fast bikes in their time.

The most fun bike I've ever had was a Mk1 Versys 650 on which I put more km than on any of the bigger bikes and covered longer distances per day and per trip in shorter periods of time.

The notion that big shaft drive bikes are better or necessary for long distance riding is a myth. As are the claims about weather protection. Yes in very wet weather they provide more protection, but not as much as a good set of rain gear.  In warm to hot weather the big faired bikes are more uncomfortable than the small ones because of reduced airflow and greater engine heat, particularly in traffic. It is easier to stay comfortably warm and dry on any motorcycle than it is to stay cool in hot conditions.

The two most important factors in selecting a bike are 1) It must make you smile (otherwise you are better off in all respects in a subcompact car) 2) The ergonomics must fit you. It must be all day comfortable. There are any number of ways of improving the seat/pegs/bar/windshield relationships for a fraction of what you'll spend on a full sized sport tourer.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • No longer The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 07:23 AM »
Best thing to do is spend a day looking at the various options available.
Don't limit yourself to shaft drives or anything else.
Look at the pictures and the specs.

When you get the wow factor from a few of them make a list.

Then spend another day or two on test riding the bikes that made you go wow.

That will narrow it down until you find "the one".

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 12:28 PM »
Mmmmmm,   you could have opened a can of worms here Wassy.   

There are many different aspects of biking to consider when it's comes to bike change time.

Are you physically fit  :question:

Do you ride with a pillion  :question:

What kind of riding do you do  ie A ,  B , or C roads, or are you happy to sit on motorways  :question:

How many miles a year do you intend to ride  :question:

All of the bikes that you name are huge, heavy bikes .  So will be heavy on fuel, heavy on tyres, and bulky bikes that need lots of muscle to manhandle.

My experience is of owning smaller light bikes to start my motorcycling career.  Then gradually , moving up to bigger bikes, but then as ageing becomes a  factor, I am now sliding back down the scale, and am currently on a MK3 Versys 650. And fully expect to slide further down the scale as time goes on.

I have practical experience of the GTR 1400.  I owned one for about 12 months, and must say that I didn't enjoy it.  It was too big, too heavy, and didn't do anything that lots of other  ( cheaper ) , and way lighter bikes couldn't have done. And the 1400 cc engine was a major disappointment, as it always seemed to revving too high , and just didn't behave like a 1400 cc engine should. I suspect that variable valve timing played it's part in that. But all in all , a big let down.

The big Triumph Trophy, are again a big  (top ) heavy bike .  I know 3 people that have owned them, and none was kept longer than 6 months.

The Guzzi.  I have ridden on test many times, and actually liked them a lot. However their reliability record is not brilliant, and they can be a money pit.

BMW.  Never fancied one, never owned one, never feel like I have missed out on anything. They are just not for me.

So, think long and hard, don't act in haste.  Get it wrong, and it will cost ( lots ).

Think !!!! do I REALLY  need anything that big and weighty  :question:  Is there something in the mid weight cubic capacity range, that will do a better job for my needs.

But whatever you choose, make sure that you get a good long test, and if you do carry a pillion passenger, make sure you take them on the test with you.

Good luck with the search.     Geoff.  :2:

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 02:19 PM »
As has been said do you carry a pillion ? and if the answer is yes then you need something over 1000cc to tour in comfort especially if you also carry a fair bit of luggage. It's amazing how many big classic low mileage  bikes are on the market ,cheep to buy  cheep to insure and cheap to run, even the higher mileage ones with service history are worth a look i.e. FJ1200 ,1200 and 1500 Goldwings  ST1100 and 1300 pan's ,the list goes on and on. BMW's on the other hand are okay but more expensive to service .

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 07:25 PM »
Cheers guys, some sage advice here and definitely food for thought. It would appear more info about my needs is required.

Gustavo is right the Versys is my first big bike( nearly 2 years of ownership). Up until very recently Iíve been doing 110 miles a day commute comprised of motorways, A + B roads. I varied the route in for night shifts to entirely A + B roads for variety and exposure to different roads. Seeing that this was a baptism of fire I also put myself on an IAM course for some extra training.
Thatís now changed to 30miles a day and a punt down the motorway. But I always love a national B road

But bike is my main form of transport, unless SWMBO will spare the car. I do everything on it from attending work, training courses, shopping and hobbies. So I need the option to carry luggage, and preferably something with a bit more left in it on the motorway. The 650 is competent but just feels like it needs to be worked at motorway speeds, Iíd like something thatís a bit more within itself.

No pillion at present due to recent frogspawn but again Iíd like the option. 
Weight isnít a problem. Iím quite strong and fit, I recently sat on an FJR, moved it about, pushed around and didnít find it a problem. 
A 1,000cc is tempting and definitely the logical step but, I do hate chain cleaning, which I previously did a lot. But I donít need to do as much now, so should probably re-evaluate that option. 

The Versys is awesome. I just want more grunt and less cleaning in summary.

So whatever I go for, if I go has to do that and be the bike for at least the next 5 years. Definitely not something to be rushed.

Thanks for the advice so far 😊

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Have you change the size of the front Or rear sprocket yet to make it cruse better on the motorway without effecting  it's getup and go too much 👍
OEM-15/46
Better ratios are 16/46 or 15/43 😎
Richard    :001: