Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Considering another bike.  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
Re: Considering another bike.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 08:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Have you change the size of the front Or rear sprocket yet to make it cruse better on the motorway without effecting  it's getup and go too much 👍
OEM-15/46
Better ratios are 16/46 or 15/43 😎

No, I had the opportunity to do so last year, but kept to OEM ratios, I felt with the mileage I was doing speedo accuracy was more important.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 10:59 PM »
With the suggested ratio the speedo will be spot on but the milometer will be out.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 01:46 AM »
I understand the desire to get a chainless bike weather that be belt or shaft driven, but considering the options are so limiting, is chain cleaning really that important? You're pretty much limiting yourself to big, thirsty, unnecessary, mid-life crisis bikes. The only one off hand I can think of that's not more than 1200cc is the BMW F800GT. Never had one myself, but like the idea it's just very conservative and can't imagine it being fun at all.

From the list of your requirements, I'd suggest a Tiger 900 or the slightly older and now much cheaper Tiger 800.

The myth is wrong you don't need 1000cc+ to tour comfortably with pillion, I've comfortably taken my wife away for the weekend multiple times on the V650 and we went all the way to Assen, Holland via Calais on my old original Tiger 800. Neither of us are slim by any means  :008: We've both toured on the larger Tiger 1050 Sport too. The only one she didn't like was the Z1000SX, but that's probably the least pillion comfortable of all of them.

If you just want a bigger Versys, then just do that, get the V1k. If you want something a bit sportier then look at the SX, but be warned, the jump is bigger than you might think and the SX is a sportier sports tourer.

The benefit of larger bikes is felt on the motorway, with more weight they are generally more planted and larger means that they have more of a presence which is good. But all that becomes a hinderance on the smaller roads. I've never had a bike so flickable as the V650. My SX was great at straight line stuff and mile munching on the motorway, but on smaller B roads I'd say the smaller 650 is quicker just because it's easier to throw about and use the speed it has got.

To summarise, if your not doing bike motorway miles each day, every day then there really is no point getting anything larger than 1000cc and with the versatility of smaller engine bikes these days, probably little argument for anything more than 800cc.

I'd love an 800cc Versys , think that would be perfect.

If you've got money to burn then the MV Turismo-Veloce would be my dream bike  :7:  If not then, consider looking at older Tiger 800's or Tiger 1050 Sports. both great go anywhere, do anything bikes with more punch than your current 650.

Good luck  :001:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Thought I would add my view as I've had a range of bikes and choose to run more than one bike.

Most on here like smaller/mid size bikes for a variety of reasons, there is nothing wrong with that but we are not all the same. It is also a fact that big bikes suit bigger people and so are easier to move around the carpark/garage etc. So if you are of at least average size and fit, a bigger bike would work for you.

Myself, I like big bikes and there power, but also like smaller ones too. In recent years I've had 2 Versys 650's, a Versys 1000, Fireblades, CB1300 and more. Currently the garage has a Vstrom 650 as a winter hack and a Yamaha XT1200 (shaft drive) as my "main" bike.
Some say that one cannot use the extra power or speed that comes with a bigger engine, while I agree top speeds would probably be similar in Speed Camera Britain, the way one gets there is the difference...ie acceleration. As for twisty B roads, threading a powerful bike down a tight twisty B road is one of life's pleasures for me, it focuses the mind and every thing else just fades away for a short time. A smaller bike may be fractionally quicker through  sequences of bends and then lose out on a tight overtake, but does that really matter?

You mentioned a FJR's, quite a few guys have moved over to XT1200's from these for comfort and all round ability, they have legendary reliability too. I find mine very very comfortable, punchy for overtakes, stable in cross winds and agile enough.

Re chains and maintenance, singles and twins hammer chains as the power pulses can be savage and not evenly spaced, while in line 4's are much easier on chains. My CB1300's chain lasted much longer than the Versys 650 chain did despite having the same sized pistons etc.
All my chain driven bikes run a Scottoiler with old engine oil in the winter and gearbox oil in the summer. Rather than buy new, Ebay can supply used oilers at a good price.

The best thing to do is demo some bikes, but it is not the end of the world if after a year another change is needed.

Happy hunting.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline irishbob

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Cork
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 08:16 AM »
Some options I would recommend - VFR 1200 or Crosstourer. Haven't owned either but had a VFR 750 and that was a lovely bike. Coming to think of it, if you can forego the shaft drive, any of the VFRs.  Wouldn't bother with VTEC as it's a gimmick and valve adjustments are a pain and expensive if you don't do them yourself.

Also as others have said ST 1100 or 1300 Pan European.

All have plenty of power, nice handling, bulletproof and not too expensive to run.

I only got rid of the 750 because of my ageing back. Was more than fast enough on the motorway. The versys does the motorway but sometimes you are wishing for more as you know.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:17 AM by irishbob »

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 11:16 AM »
Good call on the VFR1200, I did have a brief go on  mates DCT Crosstourer, doing  a full throttle standing start was a riot. Good build quality too.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 06:17 PM »
Another vote for a VFR here, the V4 engine is a peach :38: although the  VFRs don't have a seating position anywhere near as comfortable as the Versys 650/1000.

I can understand why you want a bigger engine. If I didn't live in a remote, rural area and if I used the motorway/big A roads a lot I would want that extra grunt for sure. I have no need for more power and I really like the 60+ MPG.

Time and space no object? I would get a Goldwing, although if easier maintenance is your thing, it can take 12 hours just to get the panels off  :008:

Like others have said, get as many test rides as you can. Then get some more. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 07:13 PM by anderson »
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Wassy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2021, 08:49 AM »
Thanks gents, lots to consider and a few more options like the VFR that I previously hadnít thought of.

In the meantime though Iíll happily ride on, had an a brilliant ride from Basingstoke to Fareham on Friday, no motorways just A and B roads, picking off the miles with a big grin on my face! Plus SWMBO is pressuring me to stay put with this one for a while.

But I will sneak out for some test rides if the bike is local enough so stay tuned...

Offline anderson

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 650 2013
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I didnít realise the VFR 1200 crosstourer was a thing. Nice comfy position. Shaft drive. 1200cc. Love the V4 engine. Deffo worth a test ride.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 07:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by anderson [+]
I didnít realise the VFR 1200 crosstourer was a thing. Nice comfy position. Shaft drive. 1200cc. Love the V4 engine. Deffo worth a test ride.
267 KG      40 mpg.      :5: :151:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?