Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: The lowering kit actually improved handling and usability  (Read 672 times)

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
Usually you'd think it will be a trade off, but it seems the Versys 650 actually benefits from the 40 mm Lust Racing lowering block. It is really a road bike so the ground clearance is kind of a moot point, not to mention that competitors like the Tracer 700 have already 30 to 40 mm less clearance than the Versys and you would never think about this as a problem when you ride those bikes. Anyway, what I really wanted to say is this. When you ride alone at normal speeds, the change is not noticeable, but believe it or nor, lowering the bike actually _improves_ handling and dynamics when riding two up (considerably) or at high speeds over 130 kph (slightly). I was really surprised about the handling change with a pillion. It makes sense as the pillion sits up high and the lever effect amplifies the height factor non-linearly, but I would have never thought that this will turn the Versys 650 into one of those bikes which feels almost incomplete without the pillion. I understand that I only weigh 70 kg and my beautiful assistant 50 kg, it may not feel that good for folks with double the numbers. I would even say I have identified the flaw in the original Versys, it really was a bit too top heavy with a pillion, up to the point that once I dropped her off, I would want to take the long way home because I felt like the bike became more enjoyable to ride. Not anymore, with this little 40 mm change, I would not mind if all the riding I ever do from now on will be two up.

For reference purposes, I also pulled the fork legs up by 25 mm as recommended and I shortened the sidestand by about 20 mm (pure lottery, there was no recommendation and I did not make any calculations, just seemed a sensible first try and it worked out just fine). The sidestand is peculiar though, it welded fine with a regular 6013 rod and did not look like stainless steel, but it had not rusted from where the paint was worn off. I wonder if they had done something fishy with it and it will rust now after it has been heated up, we'll see.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2021, 09:38 AM by jkristjan »

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: The lowering kit actually improved handling and usability
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2021, 08:24 PM »
i have the same Lust link fitted, i'd agree with most of what you have said

Offline Kawasakian

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Hi jkristjan,

Thankyou for the detailed information you supplied. I'm a *very* new member to this forum (so Hello again!) and the Lust Lowering kit is one of the things on my "to-do" list. I've read in various places that lowering the bike makes the rear suspension a little on the soft side. Just wanted to ask, with your experience of riding 2-up, did you ever experience the rear shock bottoming out or the rear hugger hitting against anything beneath the undertray?. (I'm assuming you're still running the standard rear shock)

Also did you need to make any changes to the plastic body work. I asked the sales guy at Lust Racing an he mentioned that one of the plastic side planes (not the main fairing) will need to be trimmed a little on the inside. because the shock might rub against it?

Any information will be much appreciated!

ps. for ref I have a 2017 Versys 650, I'm 82kg and pillion is around 57kg.
Previous Bikes : Suzuki Bandit 600F, Ninja ZX-9R, Z750, MT-09, Versys 650 (current)

Online Wal

• Versys Mega God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2021, 03:15 PM »
i didnt have to trim any panels, no problems with anything catching, can't comment on 2 up i only ride solo

Offline Kawasakian

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2021, 03:25 PM »
Cheers Wal, that's reassuring (re: trimming the panels).
Must admit most of my riding is solo, but just wanted to be sure nothing is going to go "clunk" for those rare occasions when I have a pillion.
Previous Bikes : Suzuki Bandit 600F, Ninja ZX-9R, Z750, MT-09, Versys 650 (current)

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Ko Samui
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2021, 05:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kawasakian [+]
Hi jkristjan,

Thankyou for the detailed information you supplied. I'm a *very* new member to this forum (so Hello again!) and the Lust Lowering kit is one of the things on my "to-do" list. I've read in various places that lowering the bike makes the rear suspension a little on the soft side. Just wanted to ask, with your experience of riding 2-up, did you ever experience the rear shock bottoming out or the rear hugger hitting against anything beneath the undertray?. (I'm assuming you're still running the standard rear shock)

Also did you need to make any changes to the plastic body work. I asked the sales guy at Lust Racing an he mentioned that one of the plastic side planes (not the main fairing) will need to be trimmed a little on the inside. because the shock might rub against it?

Any information will be much appreciated!

ps. for ref I have a 2017 Versys 650, I'm 82kg and pillion is around 57kg.

No plastics need to be tripped.  It all looks fine to me.  It is just that with new model, the preload reservoir plate needs to be bent.  As to lowering link making the rear shock softer, I thought it made it harder.  But then someone suggested to lower more the front, and it solved the problem.