Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Killed my new bike? Stressed out and panicking now  (Read 1078 times)

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: 2009 MK1 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
Re: Killed my new bike? Stressed out and panicking now
« Reply #10 on: Jun 09, 2021, 08:43 PM »
 :028: Shep
 Congratulations, you fixed your bike with the help of this forum.
Now you know the right nut why not try the oil change? taking care not to overfill. Between here and you tube theres a guide to pretty much anything you might want to try.

Build it up one job at a time, search here and watch a vid first, come back with greasy fingers to check why its not working out like you thought it would, figure it out and fix it. Its a great and madly satisfying journey in itself, and I'm only a couple of jobs ahead of you on it, working through the 15k service schedule.
A chain and sprocket change a couple of weeks ago would have been beyond me last year. But with the help of this forum I knew to wedge a fencepost in the back wheel and have an impact driver, breaker bar and scaffold pole at the ready, as well as my firstborn son stood on the bike holding the brakes. It wouldn't have worked without any one of those, and still took 4 hrs for what must be less than an hours work for the experienced. But every time I look at that chain I smile, and am enjoying the extra gearing of the suggested 43 tooth rear. No bike shop i know can offer that level of service.
The other bonus is the increased confidence that if something breaks down on the road I may know where to start looking to fix it. 
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Shepherd

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Southend ish
« Reply #11 on: Jun 09, 2021, 10:04 PM »
I think I've done enough damage for one day, especially to my pride!

Perhaps I'll give it a few days and ponder. I wasn't concerned about doing the job, just lost concentration i think. What worries me is the damage I may have done, and still may do.

I'm still grinning sitting in the garden with a nice beer, which is something I very rarely do - Wife is getting suspicious   :001:

Thanks again all, gonna sleep well tonight.

Shep

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2021, 11:01 PM »
Shep

If you want some light BedTime reading  - Don't click on this link to an "Uber Secret V Resource" HERE   :5:  :192:
Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #13 on: Jun 10, 2021, 05:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
Thats what mechanic panic does to us..... I feel it and am trying to learn to take deep breaths and say "that's interesting" instead... The first time i tried to "fix" mine i spent 20 minutes stressed that it wouldnt start, until I realised that id knocked the kill switch off........

I know someone who returned to his bike, unlocked it, sat on it and pressed the starter and nothing. Not even a click. After a bit of panic this person then put on his glasses, so that he could read, got out his phone and pretended to be reading messages when in fact he was reading secrets documents housed hearabouts looking for possible causes - oh, and trying to still look cool at the same time.

When this "mystery" person realised that all that had happened was that he'd knocked the kill switch when parking he didn't half feel relieved. And probably a bit embarrassed.

I obviously, <cough>have no idea<cough> who this person might have been.

:034: :034: :034:

Offline 2WheelDev

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2007 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Teddington
« Reply #14 on: Jun 10, 2021, 09:00 PM »
I'll happily admit I got bitten by the side stand switch on my 2nd MOD1 test... Until the examiner gave me a hint to put the sidestand up :P

I've also done it plenty more times on my Versys, bike running whilst I get my helmet on, jump on and flick it into gear to hear it cut-out! DOH!

Offline Shepherd

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Southend ish
« Reply #15 on: Jun 10, 2021, 10:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
Shep

If you want some light BedTime reading  - Don't click on this link to an "Uber Secret V Resource" HERE   :5:  :192:

That's quite a handy resource to have - thanks :152:

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2021, 12:43 PM »
We've all been there sometime or other, take the learning as a postive, bikey no starty, kickstandy downy
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
We've all been there sometime or other, take the learning as a postive, bikey no starty, kickstandy downy
Or killy switchy ony

Offline Joriki

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 abs
  • City / Town: Brighton-ish
« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:42 PM »
Definitely been there.  It's not so long since I serviced my bike for the first time.  Terrifying.  You'll be amazed what an expert you feel like when you do it for the second time.   :001: