Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Quandary !  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Gripped74

• Versys Pro
  • Wales........... the open road
  • Bike: Mk 3 V650
Quandary !
« on: Jun 11, 2021, 10:44 PM »
Good evening. It's been a while, as I sold my last V about 2 years ago. 

Since then I've toyed with the idea of other bikes including:

- BMW R1200GS ( yes the obvious choice and a cliché, but clichés are clichés for a reason)
- Tracer 700 / 900
- Honda Cross runner (800)
- Mk 3 Versys

Conclusions so far.
BMW looks great. Shaft drive, iconic flat twin. Quick enough. Comfy. Not too heavy.  BUT flipping expensive.
Honda Crossrunner.  I've had a VFR800 Vtec before so I know the engine. But the bike was heavy, I hated the 1980's digital screen and the bike, whilst very good, was just dull. Plus they are meant to be below par on fuel economy which is a deal breaker.
Tracer.  Tested a 900, and was nice, but didn't like the cheap looking fairing, and thought the V was more comfy.
Tracer 700 may be the better all rounder, but suspension supposed to be average.... and is it any better than the Versys? 
Which leaves the Mk 3 Versys.... I've owned 2 Mk 1's and loved them both, though I found my last one was getting a bit vibey (even after throttle balance and checking engine bolts). So the questions are:

Is the Mk 3 less vibey than the Mk 1?  Bearing in mind the Mk 1 didn't have rubber engine mounts - which started in the Mk 2 I believe.
Can you notice any difference in the Mk 3 following the mild power increase (~5bhp)?

This is a Versys forum, so I know which will be the favourite choice, but what does everyone think? 
Should I save up for a GS, or go for a Mk3 Versys?  The price difference for similar age is around £4k extra.
Anyone else notice the price of used bikes has gone up??

Cheers !!! :031:
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2021, 10:46 PM by Gripped74 »
2015 Versys 650
2007 KLE650 orange, 2007 KLE650 black
2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, 2003 Honda VFR800
2002 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 2003 Honda XL125V Varadero

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Quandary !
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2021, 05:19 PM »
like you i had and enjoyed 2 x Mk 1 versys's, i then tried Tracer 900 which i could never get comfortable on, then a Tiger 800 which was trouble from day1, i came back to a Mk 3 versys, 2019, i thought with 5hp more and new engine mounts and improved suspension it would be a step up from the Mk1 so i didnt test ride it......bad idea, i'm underwhelmed with the MK3, its actually slower than the Mk1, the extra power has been soaked up presumably by emissions, it still vibrates, annoyingly just where you sit at m/way speeds, the suspension is better on smooth roads but bouncy/harsh on bumpy roads, to top it off Kawa have done something to the throttle response, it feels restricted compared to the Mk 1  (i read different cams)  its quite juddery and clumsy below 4k rpm

thats my view, obviously others will differ, its still a half decent solid all rounder, just feels a bit dull/clumsy/dated, things move on, its been around 14 years now, with not much altered.......have a test ride 1st.... :028:

Online Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Maybe try a test ride on a Tracer 700, the engine is an absolute peach and can pull from lower revs in higher gears but also has plenty left at the top end. Not sure about the build quality but I would expect it to be similar to the Versys, I have the XSR and it's decent quality all round and most road tests approve of the Yamaha's, either way they are both a good choice.

FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2021, 05:53 PM »
That is quit a wide range of bikes your looking at, as you've included a "big bike" (the GS 1200), I would also look at  Versys 1000, Vstrom 1000/650 (the 650 is a very smooth engine) and Moto Guzzi  V85TT. The Guzzi has shaft drive, not too much power and very good suspension apparently.
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline Gripped74

• Versys Pro
  • Wales........... the open road
  • Bike: Mk 3 V650
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Hi all. Thanks for the replies.

Some food for thought there.

It's interesting about what counts as a "big bike" - I know the bmw r1200gs gs has a big engine but having ridden the RS version I didn't find it intimidating. Not like the Vfr1200 I ride which has simply too much power. For me I just prefer the look of the boxer twin to the parallel of the F800.

I SHOULD like Triumph but I just can't get excited about them. And they are expensive.

I think the V 1000 would be too big in stature and probably heavier than the GS. And I don't really want a 4 cylinder bike. Twin or triple at the most.

Twins seem the purest to me though.

Looked at the V85TT but read about the bad vibes.

Tracer 700 is tempting to be honest. I think   yamaha make good bikes. But start concerns me is the size. They are a fair bit smaller than a V650 in stature so will have to see. Also I wish it had the usd forks of the Tracer 900.

Good Intel on the mk 3 versys. That is good to know.

What would people think of the Mk2 instead? They had the rubber mounts and is also like ABS.

Oh, a bit of a left field recommendation... I test rode the new Enfield Interceptor 650. Lovely little bike. I'd have one if I could have it with other bikes, but not as my only bike as it's not really a good tourer.

Thanks again.

At the moment the Mk2 is looking good unless you tell me otherwise....

2015 Versys 650
2007 KLE650 orange, 2007 KLE650 black
2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, 2003 Honda VFR800
2002 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 2003 Honda XL125V Varadero

Online uralrob

• Versys Ultimate God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2021, 09:06 PM »

The Mk2 V650 is a good bike but then so was the Mk1. I've had both.

I don't notice the rubber mounts making any difference on the Mk2 and I have yet to use the abs in anger. That said I do ride fairly empty roads compared to those in the U.K. or Europe.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2021, 09:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gripped74 [+]

It's interesting about what counts as a "big bike" - I know the bmw r1200gs gs has a big engine but having ridden the RS version I didn't find it intimidating. Not like the Vfr1200 I ride which has simply too much power. For me I just prefer the look of the boxer twin to the parallel of the F800.

I SHOULD like Triumph but I just can't get excited about them. And they are expensive.

I think the V 1000 would be too big in stature and probably heavier than the GS. And I don't really want a 4 cylinder bike. Twin or triple at the most.

Tracer 700 is tempting to be honest. I think   yamaha make good bikes. But start concerns me is the size. They are a fair bit smaller than a V650 in stature so will have to see. Also I wish it had the usd forks of the Tracer 900.

What would people think of the Mk2 instead? They had the rubber mounts and is also like ABS.

Oh, a bit of a left field recommendation... I test rode the new Enfield Interceptor 650. Lovely little bike. I'd have one if I could have it with other bikes, but not as my only bike as it's not really a good tourer.

Thanks again.

theMk2 wasnt much different to the Mk1,mostly bodywork changes,  the rubber engine mounts were mostly cosmetic, they made no difference, the Mk 3 mounts are much more elaborate,but still ineffective

don't forget the BMW F750GS, they get great reviews.....

Offline gushud

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650 2010
  • City / Town: Darlington
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2021, 09:44 PM »
I had the Gs for a couple of  years before I bought a MK2 Versys which I kept for over five years which is a record for me, the BMW was
great for touring but compared to the Versys it was quite heavy and the Versys was equal to anything I could throw at it, if a back complaint
hadn't come along I would still be riding the V, but alas it has been replaced by the baby x300 Versys which is a hoot and an extremely
capable bike for a 300cc, no trouble going out with (  big bikes ) KTM 1290 ZZR 1400 only time it struggles is on secret private roads where the speeds exceed the national limit by a considerable amount.
The v650 is an excellent all rounder but if you're incredibly fortunate you could end up with a solar yellow MK2 which were the cream of the crop.
😁

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by gushud [+]
if you're incredibly fortunate you could end up with a solar yellow MK2 which were the cream of the crop.
😁

All of this

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #9 on: Jun 13, 2021, 12:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gripped74 [+]

Thanks again.

The Versys 1000 is not a big bike compared to a GS, no mention of the Vstroms .... :notsure:
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650