Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Quandary !  (Read 2562 times)

Online Gripped74

• Versys Pro
  • Wales........... the open road
  • Bike: Mk 3 V650
Re: Quandary !
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2021, 12:21 AM »
 Tested a Vstrom  years ago and again... A very good bike, but just wasn't keen on it. Probably the styling and the big front wheel.

Interesting info on the GS too. Thanks.

2015 Versys 650
2007 KLE650 orange, 2007 KLE650 black
2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, 2003 Honda VFR800
2002 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 2003 Honda XL125V Varadero

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2021, 08:00 AM »
Here is my 2p s worth. 

I have owned a MK2, but now own a MK3.   And in my opinion the MK3 is a better bike. My MK2 did vibrate, but MY MK3 doesn't, this one has what I term as a thrum, but I don't count that as vibration.

It never gives you numb fingers, I feel nothing from the footrests, or the handlebars, or through the seat. And the mirrors are always clear. So on my bike I have no problem.

I agree with Wal regarding the low speed awkward  fuelling/transmission. But, where I do my riding this hardly ever comes into play, as 99% of my biking is done on open flowing roads with only small villages to roll through. In fact in the environment that I ride the Versys is near perfect. 

My take on other bikes is, I have mates who have/had them and they all gave trouble. BMW too bulky/ heavy and overpriced. Although the 800s are better.

Yamaha always seem a bit fragile to me, with lots of owners complaining about poor suspension, abysmal comfort. They have never appealed to me.

I recently test road a Benelli TRK 502, and was amazed at how good that bike was, and for 5,700 quid looks a real bargain. But of course people will say that they are Chinese built crap. But I remember vividly, saying the same thing when Japanese bikes first arrived on out shores.

After 73 years on the planet my motorcycling needs have changed dramatically ( and that's the same for us all is it not? )  So less weight , less bulk and low seat height is King.

If I was going out today to purchase a new bike, i would buy a Honda NC 750 manual gear change.  And that from someone who hates Honda. Bur times change.

Good luck with your search.  :2:

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Bart

• Versys God
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2021, 10:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
like you i had and enjoyed 2 x Mk 1 versys's, i then tried Tracer 900 which i could never get comfortable on, then a Tiger 800 which was trouble from day1, i came back to a Mk 3 versys, 2019, i thought with 5hp more and new engine mounts and improved suspension it would be a step up from the Mk1 so i didnt test ride it......bad idea, i'm underwhelmed with the MK3, its actually slower than the Mk1, the extra power has been soaked up presumably by emissions, it still vibrates, annoyingly just where you sit at m/way speeds, the suspension is better on smooth roads but bouncy/harsh on bumpy roads, to top it off Kawa have done something to the throttle response, it feels restricted compared to the Mk 1  (i read different cams)  its quite juddery and clumsy below 4k rpm

thats my view, obviously others will differ, its still a half decent solid all rounder, just feels a bit dull/clumsy/dated, things move on, its been around 14 years now, with not much altered.......have a test ride 1st.... :028:

Could it be that the extra 16kgs of the MK3 over the MK1 has also blunted the acceleration ?
RD250, XJ600, VFR750, CBR900, Hornet 600, RD400, RD350 YPVS, CBR600 Sport, DRZ400, DR650, XT660R, BMW R1100RS, Versys 650, CBR1000RR, Versys 650, AdvVersys 650, CB1300S, VF1000, MkII V1k, XT1200ZE, Vstrom 650

Offline riggerjim

• Versys God
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2021, 04:22 PM »
I've had a mark one and a mark two and I thought the mark one was the best
Jim

Online Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2021, 04:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by gushud [+]
I had the Gs for a couple of  years before I bought a MK2 Versys which I kept for over five years which is a record for me, the BMW was
great for touring but compared to the Versys it was quite heavy and the Versys was equal to anything I could throw at it, if a back complaint
hadn't come along I would still be riding the V, but alas it has been replaced by the baby x300 Versys which is a hoot and an extremely
capable bike for a 300cc, no trouble going out with (  big bikes ) KTM 1290 ZZR 1400 only time it struggles is on secret private roads where the speeds exceed the national limit by a considerable amount.
The v650 is an excellent all rounder but if you're incredibly fortunate you could end up with a solar yellow MK2 which were the cream of the crop.
😁

i meant the new F750 gs, its really an 850

Online Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2021, 04:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
Could it be that the extra 16kgs of the MK3 over the MK1 has also blunted the acceleration ?

certainly doesnt help, the Mk 3 feels heavier, but its also the engine configuration, something has changed, the Mk3 is just not as revvy/eager as the Mk1

Online Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2021, 04:47 PM »
I would also try and africa twin for a test ride
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2021, 04:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Here is my 2p s worth. 

I have owned a MK2, but now own a MK3.   And in my opinion the MK3 is a better bike. My MK2 did vibrate, but MY MK3 doesn't, this one has what I term as a thrum, but I don't count that as vibration.

It never gives you numb fingers, I feel nothing from the footrests, or the handlebars, or through the seat. And the mirrors are always clear. So on my bike I have no problem.

I agree with Wal regarding the low speed awkward  fuelling/transmission. But, where I do my riding this hardly ever comes into play, as 99% of my biking is done on open flowing roads with only small villages to roll through. In fact in the environment that I ride the Versys is near perfect. 

My take on other bikes is, I have mates who have/had them and they all gave trouble. BMW too bulky/ heavy and overpriced. Although the 800s are better.

Yamaha always seem a bit fragile to me, with lots of owners complaining about poor suspension, abysmal comfort. They have never appealed to me.

I recently test road a Benelli TRK 502, and was amazed at how good that bike was, and for 5,700 quid looks a real bargain. But of course people will say that they are Chinese built crap. But I remember vividly, saying the same thing when Japanese bikes first arrived on out shores.

After 73 years on the planet my motorcycling needs have changed dramatically ( and that's the same for us all is it not? )  So less weight , less bulk and low seat height is King.

If I was going out today to purchase a new bike, i would buy a Honda NC 750 manual gear change.  And that from someone who hates Honda. Bur times change.

Good luck with your search.  :2:

yeah, over 4k rpm ive no complaints, unfortunately i do a fair bit of urban/town riding when i'm away, it gets a bit tiresome
totally agree on the reliability, ive never had a bike that felt so solid and confidence inspiring, i could oil the chain and jump on and ride to Istanbul without any worries whatsoever...... :028:

Offline oldleathers

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Vstrom 1050 XT
  • City / Town: Aberdaron
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2021, 07:18 PM »
Hi
Give the new Vstrom 1050XT a test, loads of power super smooth, no vibes and feels like a middle weight when its moving its also very well balanced. The only time I feel the weight is on my gravel drive but it was the same for the Versys. Back in March I only paid 8999 for a new pre reg XT with all the bells and whistles plus mid 50s mpg.

Brian

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2021, 09:24 PM »
Gripped.

If you loved the MK 1s that you previously owned,  you should be made up with a MK 3.

230 Miles on mine today, on roads that could have been built as a Versys play ground.

A early morning trip through the Yorkshire Dales. Followed by the twists and turns of the Stang forest to Barnard Castle.

Then the quick and demanding road from Middleton in Teasdale to Alston.

And home via Hartside top, with it's multiple hairpins.

All the kind of roads that the Versys shines on. The thing is so good at many things, that it's hard to knock it for the quirks that it has.

My advice to you would be to test ride all the bikes in the frame, decide which one suits your kind of riding the most.        Then buy a Mk 3 .  :008:

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2021, 09:27 PM by 100milesaway »
What would you rather be, or a wasp?