Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Speed sensor?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Joriki

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650 abs
  • City / Town: Brighton-ish
Speed sensor?
« on: Jun 12, 2021, 10:58 PM »
Out for a ride today, when I noticed the speedo was reading zero.   A couple of minutes later the 'FL' light came on red.  I pulled over and switched off for a minute.  Headed off again and the light didn't reappear but the speed still read zero all the way home.   I didn't have time to look at it then (haven't checked fuses yet), but researching this evening sounds like the speed sensor - I'm wondering if anyone knows where I should start with this one?
Thanks in advance :lostit:

Online TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: Speed sensor?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2021, 05:13 AM »
Speed sensor takes its reading from the Front sprocket output shaft / nut
Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Offline Joriki

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2021, 08:26 PM »
Thanks Towerman - I took the sprocket cover off and  there was a big blob of filth and congealed chain lube covering everything.  Cleaned it all up and the speedo magically came back to life.  :38:

Offline Joriki

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2021, 11:36 AM »

Ahh well, it worked for a day, anyway - long enough for an MOT, then failed again on  the way home.  I thought I'd take the sensor off to clean/check it, but it appears to be firmly stuck in place.
I'm presuming it's the sensor.  The FL light has come on when the speedo has first stopped working, but isn't on now. 
I guess I need to get the sensor off to check/replace it, but all I've managed to do so far is gouge it with vice grips...  Any advice gratefully received...

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2021, 02:21 PM »

Once the bolts are out just wiggle it. There are keeper pins that align it so it needs to come straight out not at an angle.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2021, 07:31 AM »
Howdy
Did you get anywhere with your speedo issue
As mine has same problem now tacho works fine no FI light on.
The sensor was covered in grease also so I took it off and cleaned with wd 40 and a paintbrush
It worked again for a little bit probably 100km or so now reads 0 again
Took cover off again and sprayed with some electrical contact cleaner no joy still dead.

Ta
J

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2021, 12:26 PM »
not teaching anyone to suck eggs but you are getting the right part as the nutral light sensor is down around there as well
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2021, 01:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
not teaching anyone to suck eggs but you are getting the right part as the nutral light sensor is down around there as well

sounds like my wife

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2021, 05:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
:-) hope so
The one bolted close to the nut that hold on the front sprocket
The sensor itself is bolted into a small casting
This one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-KLE650-VERSYS-SPEEDOMETER-SENSOR-PICK-UP-UNIT-/164124588995?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIxtuj_6vR8QIVYoBQBh0MzQVGEAQYAiABEgKcqvD_BwE

Cheers
J

Removed it from the bike and gave a clean and a spray with contact cleaner and still no joy
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2021, 05:10 PM by jdoyle »

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650, 2016
  • City / Town: Rotterdam
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2021, 12:13 PM »

hi there,
this is the speedsensor and the bolts that should be taken off. Usually the front sprocket is indeed nasty so cleaning it can never hurt.
Because it gets so muddy and nasty the speed sensor can be quite stuck, so it needs some wiggling around to be taken off (after unscrewing the bolts).

Perhaps check your fuses and see if they didn't blow. Alternatively, check with a multimeter if the wires to the sensor still work properly.

If that doesn't help... we need someone else that knows what's going on. Or replace the sensor.

Good luck.. I'll follow this thread.