Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: The Not IVM Late Spring Ride  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
The Not IVM Late Spring Ride
« on: Jun 16, 2021, 11:08 PM »
In a normal year, I would be gearing up to leave on the International Versys Meet (IVM) ride that typically happens in June in North America.   OK, sometimes international means US and Canada, but not always.   :211:  In fact, there was a pretty good international contingent all ready to come ride the best the PNWet has to offer in 2020, before COVID-19 surges worldwide killed any illusions that we'd get back to normal by the summer, then fall, then 2021, then...  :138:

Anyway, I decided that even though international travel is making participation limited, I'd still go ride that area, as it offers some very, very, good riding opportunities.    :biker1:   To that end, I enlisted two of the usual suspects, who I have gone on 10's of thousands of miles of road trips with me over the last twenty odd years we've been friends (yeah, I'm that  :172:  old).  I was going to call this the IVM ride (between the three of us we have 6 passports, I thought it qualified...   :008:) but I was told in no uncertain terms that using that term would be blasphemous, so I won't.  Hence, the Not IVM Ride, in order to still be invited and hosted at Chateau Geriatric on some future date. 

Tony had not ridden his 950 Adventure in about a year, so we went on "shake down" ride on Saturday, to make sure nothing fell off prematurely...  What do you know, it's a KTM, so something did fall off.    :4:  OK, it was just the right handside mirror that came loose, but still, it was funny that on our first stop we had to get tools out.  I hope that takes care of the KTM "character" issues on this trip.

Since I am a bit giddy about finally going on a proper road trip, I got back home and I washed the bike before changing the oil/filter.  Yeah, I washed it!   :5:  I think this qualifies for the annual wash (even if I didn't wash it last year...  :33:) requirement.  Well, it really needed it - it's a lot easier to work on a bike that doesn't have two or three years worth of bugs, mud and other crap on and under it.  Now that I could see where the filter actually was, I changed the oil, filter, lubed the chain and it's ready to go...    :biker1:

There is a heatwave over most of the western US, but it doesn't seem so bad around our destinations.  Should be a good weekend...    :celebrate:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: The Not IVM Late Spring Ride
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2021, 11:31 PM »
Rember, ROUTE MAP and lots of pictures, especially ice-cream and food 🤔

Ps IVM should stand for Ice-cream and Versys Meet 🤣
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2021, 11:33 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2021, 11:47 PM »
For those going, the IV-what?    :lostit:  Here is a short history of the IVM.

2015 - The first IVM, wasn't even called that.  Rob and his Boss ( :whistle:) went out for a ride, somehow managed to stumble upon my neighborhood and popped in for a cuppa (and a new fuel pump...   :138:):
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,19215.0.html

2016 - Because it was sort of a mess, but we enjoyed the idea, when Rob needed a loaf of bread, he popped back in to get one from me:
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,21239.0.html

2017 - Apparently, the bread was popular at Chateau Gereatric, but they couldn't be bothered to come and get it themselves, so being the good neighbor that I am, I delived a loaf:
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,22896.0.html

2018 - The next IVM, was actually called an IVM (finally) and included some distinguished guests from Washington State and the UK...
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,23973.0.html

Honestly, this IVM was epic.  Not only because Richard ate all the ice-cream in the western US, but the location we picked was spot on for a trip like that.   :biker1: :biker1: :biker1: :biker1: :biker1:

2019 - Then it was time to hold another one on the east coast, but due to unforeseen circumstances, there was low attendance:
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topic,24824.0.html

You know what happened to the 2020 already, but there is still hope that there will be a 2021 later in the fall, if they allow us to travel across land borders by then.  But for now, all we have is the Not-IVM-Late-Fall-Ride...   :008:

Gustavo

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2021, 12:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]

Ps IVM should stand for Ice-cream and Versys Meet 🤣

Man, have I got the place for you...    :007:

On our route on Friday, there is a small family restaurant that is widely known for their home made ice-cream and pies.  When we were originally planning the 2020 IVM, I was thinking we'd drop you off there just before lunch, and come back to pick you up after dinner, so you'd have enough time to sample all the flavors...   :008:

We will be too late to have lunch there, but definitely will stop in for an ice-cream/milkshake break in the afternoon.

Gustavo

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2021, 01:02 AM »

Well that's blown apart my tightly scheduled evening :whistle: .

I kept dipping back into the mostly not too inaccurate History of the I.V.M. . Good times indeed  :028:.

Looks like an excellent trip coming up, Gustavo. Looking forward to more.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2021, 06:22 AM »
We agreed to meet on the east side of Portland, that's on the way out and is easier to get to for the three of us.  A little easier for Tony and I, Brian came out straight from home (Oregon coast, so an additional 70 miles), but he was there when I got to our meeting place.  Apparently light traffic allowed him to make better progress than he expected.  Or maybe he was riding like Stewie (minus the ditch excursion...   :whistle:).

The first stretch is on I-84.  It's not great, but there are few efficient alternatives.  Today was even less great due to road construction...

But we got past that pretty quickly and only had to deal with the typical day dreaming  :172: American drivers the rest of this section...   :125:   Anyway, traffic gets thinner and thinner as you go east and pretty quickly we got to the promised land - took our exit and started crisscrossing central Oregon on the minor roads. 

There may not be much of a town, but they always have a church.

This section is a little scary.  Wind turbines as far as the eye can see.  I hear they cause brain cancer.  But they weren't in operation today.  Do you guys know if they still cause brain cancer when not spinning?   :notsure:

We made it to Condon just in time for lunch.  This is a small town, with few restaurants.  Two were closed and this one we liked was packed.  The sun felt nice initially, but it got warm quickly.

This reminds me of going to eat with my nephews...   :015:

Kids these days...   :008:

When we were getting ready to leave, Tony discovered the KTM was marking its territory.  Seems a full tank of gas and hot temps result in overflow...   :138:

As we were getting ready to leave, a gaggle of KTMs and one T7 showed up.  So, we stayed a bit longer and chatted.  Even the KTM guys thought it was funny the 950 was marking its territory...    :4:

We continued our way south and east.  Very little traffic on these roads through the canyons.  This is OR-207:

Tony was out of water by the time we got to Kimberly, so we made a pit stop to get some.  Temps were in the mid 30's, and the sun was beating hard on us.  It was nice in the shade, because it's usually dry here, but if you were not moving, it got hot quickly.

OR-402 follows the North Fork of the John Day river, but it's mostly pretty fast and flowing.  Google estimated 45 minutes to get to Long Creek, but it only took us 30...   :biker1:

The scenery alternates between dry high desert and forests in the river canyon:

Another hydration stop in Long Creek, where we met another group of mostly R12GSs.  They were going in a different direction today.

This trip's great discovery Grant County Rt-20.  A beautiful road that follows the Middle Fork of the John Day River.  Not sure how come I never rode it before (we usually take a route further north, when going east), but man, this was fantastic.  Both great riding road and beautiful scenery.    :biker1: :biker1:

The last section on OR-7 that goes into Baker City:

I don't think this thing is street legal...   :notsure:

More later.

Gustavo

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #6 on: Jun 18, 2021, 06:41 AM »
Baker City was THE big city in eastern Oregon.  I used to think it was a larger city back in the day, but I recently saw a program that claimed the actual population has not changed much over the last 100 year, at about 10K since the late 30's.  It's surprising then that it has a rather large downtown area, for a town that size.  Today many storefronts sit empty.  I am guessing it's harder and harder for these small shops to compete with the big box retailers.

Where are we going tomorrow?   :027:

Dinner:

Tomorrow we are going to Hell.  Let me sleep on that.

Gustavo

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2021, 06:44 AM »
No, I didn't forget...   :007:

https://goo.gl/maps/oxP9R1dhn8v4Undm7

Gustavo

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2021, 01:37 PM »

Paper maps  :5: . My God you guys are old :012: .

Enjoy Hell. Your skills are probably sufficiently  Diabolical to handle it con brio ......  oh wait a minute, that would be a Catholic Hell. How's your Italian?  :notsure:

Looking forward to more fuzzy pics of dietary treats  :015: .

:biker1:  :biker1: (The Fast one)

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2021, 02:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by uralrob [+]
Looking forward to more fuzzy pics of dietary treats  :015: .
Rob.
Sofar no pictures of Ice-cream - Gus has failed, "again:whistle:
I suppose he might get it right next time, as this is only a recce before the main event, when we do get out there Rob  :027:
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2021, 02:08 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales