Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Ticket  (Read 792 times)

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
Ticket
« on: Jun 17, 2021, 10:07 PM »
Short story long:

In June 2019 I did a lengthy tour of Scotland on the V. It was a fantastic long trip taking in much of the NC500 - and some. The road from Tongue to Lairg was just about the best fun I can remember on a bike. The weather was a bit grim but didn't spoil the fun. By the time I got home my 60 year old body felt fairly beaten up. That's when I decided to try a new bike and went for the F800GT. I've done three tours of Scotland on the F8 and a tour of France, taking in the Pyrenees, covering 13K miles in two years (yep and it hasn't broken down). It's a superb bike for long distances and I can ride for hours on the higher comfort seat no problem. It's brilliant on fast sweepers - rock solid. If you know the Gorge du Lot in France - it's perfect for that sort of riding - fast, brilliant surface, rolling sweepers, occasionally sharp bends. It likes the A686 Penrith to Hexham and the Hawes to Ribblehead road. It's not so handy on a tight hairpin (first gear is too long) or the average rough British mountain pass - though I've taken it over the Pass of the Cattle twice no problem. I would't dream of attempting the Hard Knot on it.  I think the reason the F8 has a reputation for being dull is that it will pootle along smoothly forever at 3K to 4K revs at legal speeds. And in my older years I'm appreciating that. But at 5.5K - 6K revs it  gets a second wind. Trouble is, 6K revs in third is beyond legal. It rarely gets into 4th on an average ride.

I put the V back on the road a few months ago and in comparison it's like an excitable puppy - massive grin factor. A bike you can throw around. A bike that wants to be ridden hard. Each time I get home feeling like a naughty boy. A couple of weeks ago, coming out of Hawes I got clocked by a bobby on foot hiding in the trees (the road to Ribblehead). 49 in a 40 zone.  100 lighter and 3 points heavier. It's made me think twice about getting on the V recently.

I like the F8 and it's a keeper for now. I've just done a third tour of Scotland on it and I wasn't dissatisfied, though on some roads I found myself wishing I was on the V. I can't see myself ever letting my V go. But I can't see myself touring on it any time soon either.  I've done a few tours of Europe, a couple of circuits of Ireland and many trips to Scotland on it over the years but I'm not as fit as I was.
So it's the F8 for long trips and the V for the local playground as long as I can afford to keep them both going. But I guess I need to be more careful when out on the V.

(No ride reports because I've been on the wrong bike)
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: Ticket
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2021, 10:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Kawaboy [+]

(No ride reports because I've been on the wrong bike)

That is not an acceptable excuse here. Doesn't matter if you're riding a traitor bike or not - I still want ride reports and pictures!!

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2021, 06:27 AM »
What Dave said.   :211: 

Report with pictures of scenery, bikes and food (to appease TM...   :008:).

Also, your bobbies must have better eye sight than ours.  I just blew by a State Trooper today at +15 and he didn't even see us...    :whistle:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2021, 07:05 PM »
They will be strict coming out of hawes about the speed limit, too many casulaties over a season around there  so they will do a few hard sessions to scare the many to slow down. Genrally i find our plod to be pretty lenient as long as you don't take the piss or make no attempt to acknolwdge them  by slamming on brakes at the last minute  which they take for lack of observation or arrogance.   Speed tickets are an occupational hazrd for me , i have been nicked for a couple of MPH over and let of for some pretty rediculous speeds, once by the same copper in two days who was so angry with me for not listening to the first let off warning that he screamed obsecenities at me and said if he so much   as effing sees me at 1mile per effing hour  overthe effing Bleedin limit, I am getting F******d for the F******* lot, speeding driving without due care you effing litlle Cu*t.He even had a go at me pillion for letting me ride at those speeds in a builty up area.
I listened to that advice  , sold the bike  an FJ1200,  which was too fast for London really, the next weekend and got a Super Tenere, much less speed, much more whelliable though :006:
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2021, 07:10 PM by Clunkyboy »
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline healdem

• Versys God
  • Macclesfield, Cheshire
  • Bike: '11 Tiger800 ABS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2021, 03:00 PM »
I hadn't realised that the average plod was such a good observer of true character  :020:

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2021, 08:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
They will be strict coming out of hawes about the speed limit, too many casulaties over a season around there  so they will do a few hard sessions to scare the many to slow down. Genrally i find our plod to be pretty lenient as long as you don't take the piss or make no attempt to acknolwdge them  by slamming on brakes at the last minute  which they take for lack of observation or arrogance.   Speed tickets are an occupational hazrd for me , i have been nicked for a couple of MPH over and let of for some pretty rediculous speeds, once by the same copper in two days who was so angry with me for not listening to the first let off warning that he screamed obsecenities at me and said if he so much   as effing sees me at 1mile per effing hour  overthe effing Bleedin limit, I am getting F******d for the F******* lot, speeding driving without due care you effing litlle Cu*t.He even had a go at me pillion for letting me ride at those speeds in a builty up area.
I listened to that advice  , sold the bike  an FJ1200,  which was too fast for London really, the next weekend and got a Super Tenere, much less speed, much more whelliable though :006:

:008: :008: :008:

I've only ever picked up tickets on bikes, never in a car in 40 years. Let's face it if you're alert there's no excuse for getting caught ever.
Twice on the V - crossing a solid white line on the A65 and now the Hawes thing.
Twice on the GT in the space of a week last summer - once doing 60 in a temp 50 on the A1 - got away with a course (on Zoom), followed later that week doing 60 in a 50 in France - got a fine but no points. Cameras are sometimes hard to spot in France. Usually grey and low down half hidden in the undergrowth. Sometimes no advance warning signs. I swear I've been flashed in the past more than once and never got a letter. Just as well I didn't get done for pushing a 100 in an 80 which on empty French roads is always tempting.
Some good the awareness course did me. You'd think in my old age I'd be more careful not less  :006:

Ride report/s. Watch this space.

Offline Gripped74

• Versys Pro
  • Wales........... the open road
  • Bike: Bikeless
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2021, 10:59 PM »
Very timely for me this post.  I sat on a 2016 era F800GT today in my quest for the next bike.  (They tried to sell me a new Versys, but with panniers, you're looking at a big whack of money).  The BMW was much more justifiable on price.

The F800 is a more conventional sports tourer shape and the seat is waaaaay too low for me, but I like the overall package. It's a simple, does it all bike, and with a belt drive to boot.   I'd have to get the higher seat if I do get it.  I like the riding position compared to the old F800ST too. It's forward lean, but not by much.  A taller seat would also help with the slightly high foot pegs too.

But, I'm interested in more comparisons to the Versys.  I would have thought the V would be more comfortable for touring, and although it can be top heavy, it's pretty light for an adventure bike.  Interested in what the engine is like in the BMW and how it compares on power and character.  I got the impression that the V was more fun, but the BMW has 90bhp to the 60 - 68 ish of the Versys, and although it is a twin, I think both pistons fire together like a single, so I'm wondering how vibey it is.

I'm 5ft 10" with 32 leg, so also interested in how the BMW "fits" someone of my fairly average tallish build.

« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2021, 11:00 PM by Gripped74 »
What next????????????????
2007 KLE650 orange, 2007 KLE650 black
2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, 2003 Honda VFR800
2002 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 2003 Honda XL125V Varadero

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2021, 09:31 PM »
If the V is an excitable cocker spaniel the F8 is a mature border collie. Re-read the second half of the first paragraph in the first post in this thread. Overall higher torque at lower revs than the V.
Same motor as the F800GS but different gearing.

I'm 5'9" and have the higher BMW comfort seat which I find really is all day comfortable. I can get both feet just about flat on the floor. Higher seat on the BMW is 20mm lower than the stock seat on the V.
The position is a little more forward. I have 2" bar risers fitted that makes it slightly more upright but still not as upright as the V. The higher seat pushes you forward a little more. I've got used to using my core to save my wrists. Pegs are set further back and a tad higher than the V but my arthritic knees seem to cope okay.

Yep, both pistons fire together. There is a counterbalance 'bob' weight attached to the crank and opposed to the pistons that reduces the vibes. But it's a twin. It's a little vibey but so is my Mk1 V - just in different places.

In higher summer temperatures the engine chucks out some intense heat. Nice on colder days. Horrendous above 30C   :goggle:

I prefer the F8 to the V for touring nowadays though I've done plenty of long trips on the V. I find the F8 less tiring on a long trip, especially with the tall Givi screen. On 85% of roads it suits me down to the ground. I find myself wishing I was on the V when the surfaces get rougher and the hairpins get tighter.

It drinks a little less fuel than the V - very frugal. I'm getting average 68 mpg.

The wheelbase is slightly longer than the V (by 4") and with the long first gear it's harder to handle on tight, slow turns.

The belt makes acceleration smooth. It's maintenance free and has a 25K miles service limit though some owners have run it much longer. It never needs adjusting cos it never stretches (It's a Continental heavy duty timing belt in another life).

The 2016 model should have ride-by-wire. Some models 2016 onwards come with remote electronic suspension adjust (rebound only - preload setting is manual) and traction control.

Forks not adjustable but they suit me out the box.  Right way up not USD.

It has a centre stand.

Finish and build-quality is overall better than the V. Overall more refined.

The Brembo brakes are excellent. Lots of bite but not grabby.

Wider rear tyre.

The BMW is more prone to gremlins than the V though touch wood I've had no problems in 13,000 miles. BMW sorted out most of the issues since the predecessor ST days - the bike benefits from a long long history and periodic improvements. But it has CANBUS and I fear one day something electronic will let me down, which the V never has. Unless you're getting it serviced at a garage (go independent as BMW will fleece you) you'll need an OBD reader to clear fault codes, reset the service reminders, and possibly diagnose somewhere along the line. Even if a bulb blows it lets you know and stores the fault.

I'm glad I have been fortunate enough to be able to get the V on the road. I find myself using it more and more for day-rides.  Horses for courses.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2021, 09:35 PM by Kawaboy »