Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Is my chain worn?  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650, 2016
  • City / Town: Rotterdam
Is my chain worn?
« on: Jun 18, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Hi guys,

After experiencing great help on this forum, I am posting something here again. Thanks for the great support!

I had my Versys 650 (2016) serviced by the an authorised dealer in January. Everything was good, only oil and oilfilter needed replacement. Then, a few weeks back I went there again because my gas cap had oxidation inside and thus my gastank was underpressured compared to the normal pressure outside, thus a vacuum existed.
They made remarks about my chain, that it was worn out, if it had ever been replaced (currently 33.000 KMs, 20.5K miles), and that a chain usually lasts 10-15K Kilometers.
I am not entirely sure if it has ever been replaced, but I know for sure that it hasn't been replaced since the big first service around 24.000 kilometers.

They pointed specifically to chainlinks that got stuck in a certain position, and are not entirely free to move around. See pictures.

Would you guys please have a look and let me know if you think this chain should be replaced?

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2021, 10:48 AM by Imightbewrong202 »

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
Re: Is my chain worn?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Yes your chain is knackered.  Replace it ( and both sprockets ) with good quality items ie DID chain and JT sprockets.  Then maintain them with regular oil ( I use EP 90 gear oil) and adjust chain tension when required.

And never be afraid to ask questions, ask others  :36:  that have the answers that you need.  Bike maintenance is extremely important and should never be neglected.   :002:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Online Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Honda CB1000RA
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2021, 12:11 PM »
Yep that's that's goner.
The links should not stick in place like that.

Changing the chain is very important, if it breaks when riding it can take out the crank case.
I had one go on me but I was lucky it got spat out the back, others have been much less fortunate.

Offline uralrob

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 14 V 650 15 V1k
  • City / Town: Bridgewater NS
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2021, 01:45 PM »

Agree with all of the above. If  you ride in particularly damp and salty conditions your chain may need more frequent attention than average.

Rob.
Don't take Life too serious, it's not permanent.

Offline Wassy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650GT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2021, 11:07 PM »
Another tick in the knackered column here! Iím surprised you canít feel it Iím when riding the bike. I once rode a chain into a similar condition and can only describe it as a thumping sensation under load as the seized links were forced around the sprockets.

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2021, 08:53 PM »
@Wassy what do you mean with a tick in the knackered column?
I did feel like "waves" when riding at very a constant speed, but I thought this had to do with the engine itself and less with the chain.

Could the stuck chainlinks also be caused by incorrect positioning of the back wheel? I aligned it as precisely as possible, but perhaps there a millimeter difference.

And thanks a lot for the answers, i just purchased a DID set of the chain and sprockets and the chain removal tool.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Nothing to do with the alignment just lack of lubrication, maybe o ring seals in chain worn or split which let the grease out and the rust did the damage.

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2021, 02:29 PM »
Thanks Mac One.

I did lube my chain quite often, and was aware of the importance, but apparently not often enough. What can also have played a part is that I also completely cleaned by chain often, which probably took out a lot of grease as well. Even though I lubed it afterwards, perhaps I cleaned it too often and not lubed it well enough or specifically after rainy trips.

Any specific tips on replacing the chain and sprockets beside what can be found in the videos from MC garage and similar?

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2021, 04:13 PM »
I prefer either diesel or paraffin for cleaning , then dry it of with an old cloth and spray both chain sides with chain wax as it does not fly off like oil does. Any  good quality o-ring chain and sprocket  will do the job.

Offline jkristjan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 2019
  • City / Town: Tallinn
« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2021, 07:24 PM »
The chain that comes with the v650 from factory is crap, dies in the first 10000 km or so or after the first ride in decent rain or salt conditions. It is some DID branded OEM special that they make in Malaysia and that you can't buy as a separate DID product. My OEM chain lasted about as long as the OEM rear tire, went with a proper DID Japan chain after that, this has gone twice the distance already and shows no change of condition.

Just like people will never stop spinning stories about losing weight by drinking lemon water, they will also never stop spinning the chain maintenance mantra, but in reality sealed chains in road use could not care less. Just smear or spray it with anything that will keep rust away and run a diesel-soaked rag over it if you can't hear anything but sand grinding. Chains in road use get hot while working and experience ginormous centrifugal and whiplash forces, as such they are pretty much self-cleaning of larger particles.