Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: South on the A3  (Read 811 times)

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLE650 & KLR650
  • City / Town: Brisbane, Aus
South on the A3
« on: Jun 22, 2021, 11:01 AM »
I took the beloved to the airport.

Did some tidying around the house.

Didn't mow the lawn.

lawn not mown, it still isn't - maybe this weekend

Gave the dog a bone, gave the other dog a bone too.

"really, all for me?"

Loaded the bike.

loaded bike

And was off. To the servo for fuel. Then off on holidays. West to join the A3 and then head south. Then north-west, north-east and sort of north-west-ish to home on day 7.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
Re: South on the A3
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Looks promising!  So, how is it going?

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2021, 03:18 AM »
... another week just gone, how does that happen?

My last trip was North on the A3, so, just for something to do, this trip is South on the A3. There's some awesome riding and fascinating history. And cold weather, well cold for me. But first - get into the groove of just riding. It's not work, nothing HAS to be done, no one is assessing how well I ride (well, actually I am). There's plenty of time to just ride & enjoy.

Easier said than done  :138:

After rolling through some backroads through the hills beside the river, a bit of big highway and some country highway I get to the first big hilly bit, up the range from Esk to Hampton.

This looks like the right place

Yes, this is it!

Sorry, less photos this trip as I didn't take the helmet camera.

After a challenging ride of missing braking points, turning nervously early, anxiously looking ahead instead of all the way through the corner, getting bumped around by too much compression damping and a touchy throttle, I made it through the forest & farmland to the top and the start of the real ride.

South on the A3.

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2021, 08:48 AM »
It's 2:05 on a Thursday afternoon.
It's the end of Autumn.
It's about 700m higher than home and getting higher.
I'm heading south (that's north to those of you in the North).

I can feel a chill in the air, and I'm glad that my new summer jacket isn't as summery as my old one.

I roll on south following the A3 through the farmland and somehow stumble through Toowoomba as TomTom and street signs didn't agree very well (and TomTom loves to save every metre it can with shortcuts that... well, just don't help).

And 50 minutes later it's time to admire the view south-east over the cropland, over Hodgeson Creek and towards the edge of the range, from the Erbacher Road Scenic Lookout.

view to be admired

It's also time to adjust the windscreen. Last trip my helmet peak caught the turbulence off the top of the screen, so this time I added a small adjustable spoiler to the top. Yes, it pushed the air way over the top, but it had very poor optics around the edges. So poor that I had to lower it. Buyer beware. And I also bought a helmet without a peak, so the spoiler is probably superfluous. Another reason to test ride!

Sometimes I turn location on when taking photos. But I didn't this time. I wish I did. Please remind me next time.

4pm. Grazing land, somewhere probably a bit north of Warwick

And into Stanthorpe just before sunset. The first stop is always usually fuel.

fuel

distance

Then to the pub for a cheap room and a big feed.

Online Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2021, 10:25 AM »
OBD

Looking good - keep it coming!

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2021, 12:42 PM »
$50 for a pub room is great value these days. It was a classic old pub room that looked to have what I guessed was the old pipes for the gas light still on the wall and the toilet & shower were off the back verandah (as they weren't part of the original design). Plus a loud laughing itinerant farm worker nearby. It was plenty good enough for me, but I wouldn't take the beloved.

view from room 4

view from the front verandah

classic country pub

I love to walk around these old towns and just look at the history.

note the tower of life in the middle - it used to be windmills that brought life, now it's mobile phones

arty shot of clock tower

arty shot of old laneway

And back to the pub for dinner.

The mighty Chicken Parmy - Supreme, with veg. And yes, the carrots were done with honey & sesame seeds. And a couple of cold beers. Full as! Happy as!

Here's today's map.

map of day 1

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #6 on: Jul 04, 2021, 06:02 AM »
Looks great.  So what was the temperature that got you all  :43: like that?

BTW, AUS$50, is like $25 in real money, no?   :whistle:  Man, that's a cheap room.  My daughter was camping in Yosemite this week, she paid more for a tent site...   :138:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2021, 10:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
Looks great.  So what was the temperature that got you all  :43: like that?

BTW, AUS$50, is like $25 in real money, no?   :whistle:  Man, that's a cheap room.  My daughter was camping in Yosemite this week, she paid more for a tent site...   :138:

Gustavo

G'day Gustavo,
More like 35 freedom dollars. A motel room is usually $100 and up, so I did well.
Wow, that must have been some tent site - very thick & plush grass, running water, showers, free bar fridge... quiet neighbours

Now, on with the show!

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2021, 10:55 AM »
Day 2

There's a beautiful sunrise out there somewhere

I'm on holiday, so I'll catch the sunrise another time, like in Spring.

I didn't need to know that

So I went back to sleep.

No need for breakfast after last night's dinner, so off I went to look about from the lookout.

look

Now to head south.
Don't you love it when the GPS mapping doesn't know which roads were actually built, and which weren't? Not!

Many towns in Australia have a big thing. Stanthorpe, being the coldest place in the state, has a big thermometer. Today it was showing 10.3 C at 9:37 am. I was here with my beloved around this time last year and the day maxed out at about 8C, so I was in for a great day!

the big thing

There was another thing to see. Big, but actually small.

the pyramid

Yes, that's a pyramid built from rocks cleared from the surrounding paddocks. It started as a joke, because, well, farming... It even has its own entry in Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballandean_Pyramid). The last time I was here I sent my daughter a picture of this, because... well, just because. She sent me back a photo of her feet. From the top. She doesn't get it from me!

Offline OneBlackDog

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2021, 11:25 AM »
And now south and over the border to Tenterfield, NSW. Now, I know many of you only know of Tenterfield from the very moving Peter Allan song - Tenterfield Sadler - but there is more to Tenterfield. Real history. In a museum!

long winded plaque

The idea of Australia, as a country, rather than a collection of separate colonies,  got a big kick start here with a big speech by local politician, Henry Parkes. So I went for a look. Fascinating!

big ideas & hopes

more thoughts

I like a good museum. This was a good one! very happy to pay $5 or was it $7. Who cares?!

The volunteer showing me around used to ride back in the early '70s, but she said she had to give up as she was too short to ride the Triumph and couldn't get a license. I wish I could remember her name. I wish I was bold enough to have asked for a photo. Her other motorbike story was that she wanted to become a motorbike mechanic, but no one would employ her, however, she did get a job at the parts department, well, until she came to work one day covered in bandages after crashing a bike and got sacked. They were different times!

arty shot of building & beautiful clear blue sky

After feeding the mind, it was time to feed the stomach. Brunch.