Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Like the South of France, but they with better singing  (Read 1507 times)

Online Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
Re: Like the South of France, but they with better singing
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2021, 07:35 AM »
 :biker1: :scooter:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2021, 09:00 PM »
Nice write-up - Keep them coming please.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: LONDON
« Reply #12 on: Jul 31, 2021, 09:34 AM »
There's a couple more days before I get home....

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2021, 03:10 AM »
Looks like a great trip.  Nice weather too.  Are you sure it was in the UK?   :whistle:

So, what flavour of V7 is that your son is riding?  Looks like a Special, but it's hard to tell from the pics.   :notsure:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2021, 11:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gustavo [+]
So, what flavour of V7 is that your son is riding?  Looks like a Special, but it's hard to tell from the pics.   :notsure:

It's a 2009 V7 Classic.

Sorry for not finishing the tale of the journey sooner, let me rectify that now.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2021, 11:41 PM »
July 19th

Where was I? Oh yes, early Monday morning at my sonís house.

My original plan was to leave after breakfast and take the scenic route back home, but plans change. I now had to go to Kings Lynn for a funeral, so after breakfast I loaded up and by 7:30 was on the road.

I didnít need to be there until after twelve so had plenty of time, using main roads to head over the top of Birmingham and Coventry. Turning off the A5 I saw that I was heading for Lutterworth, home, I remembered, of Power Jets. Started by the genius (and practical engineer) Whittle. On the next roundabout there was a replica E28/39 pointing at the sky. The real one was built in Cheltenham, but I donít suppose a W1 engine would have the same visual impact.

Once I got onto the A47 the traffic was very heavy and slow, so I was very glad that I was on two wheels and could easily pass the large trucks. On one of the straight stretches there was a bit of a Hollywood moment - an ambulance appeared about half a mile back in my mirrors with all the flashing lights on, so everybody immediately started to pull over. A tanker coming the other way locked up the back wheels as it was approaching me and through the cloud of smoke I could see the back end starting to slide out to spoil my day! Fortunately the driver sorted it out before my underwear took a hit.

Despite the very heavy traffic I was still quite early so I kept going and went round the back of Sandringham, past the sawmill which had lovely fresh wood aromas and up to Snettisham. I like this part of north Norfolk for its scenery, the traditional houses and my happy memories of when I used to come up here by bike every weekend to visit a rather special lady.

For reasons which I still donít understand, my brother had driven overnight (a shorter distance than me), and so by the end of the afternoon he was pretty tired. I didnít need to be back home for another day, so when he went to drop our dad off at the station I found us a room for the night. Rooms in Norfolk were very expensive that night, so we went over the border into Lincolnshire and stayed at Sutton Bridge. After eating and drinking we went for a walk to see the actual bridge

and then a stroll along the River Nene before turning in for the night.

146 miles for the day.

July 20th

Breakfast the next morning was at the nearest branch of the golden arches, a leisurely affair as neither of us needed to be anywhere.

With no clear plan for the day, except to enjoy myself, I decided to make it up as I went along, so started by going back into Norfolk and heading north, taking back roads up to Holme-next-the-sea, which it was. More back roads along to Wells-next-the-sea (which should really be called Wells-a-mile-away-from-the-sea) for an ice cream stop and stroll around the town.

The hatched lines are marking out the motorcycle parking area, not me trying to get a ticket.

Ice cream finished it was decision time again. Where to go? What to do? It was a bit too early for a crab sandwich, but the day had to include one so I decided to head for Aldeburgh staying on back roads as much as possible to enjoy the countryside.

I can report that the countryside was very pretty almost all the way. The roads were variable, although there was a lot of sand on some of them.

I suppose the pill boxes were built of very hard concrete underneath the brick, so it was easier to leave them. There were a few more of them along the way, this one tucked underneath the tree at the junction. (does anybody else remember the one in the grounds of the Natural History Museum?)

Finally after many twisty little roads and a few bigger ones, I got to Aldeburgh

A stroll up the high street found me a purveyor of fine coffee and crab sandwiches. My goals for the day had been met.

I donít know why the Old Custom House the front door so high on the building. Iím sure there was a reason for it.

Time for one last photo, a few days ago I had the Irish Sea as a backdrop, now about as far away as I could getÖ.

the North Sea.

And thatís pretty much the end of the journey. I still had to get home, and originally had thought about going west across Suffolk and north of London, but there were some very dark clouds looming so I took the direct route back on the A12 and across London (I wouldnít do that in a car!)

258 miles between getting up and getting home.

966 miles since I left home.

Offline AnotherTringFellow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 Mk2
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Great report and pictures, really enjoyed it thanks for posting.
Current bikes,
2007 Versys 650
2016 Versys 1000
2012 W 800

Offline whiskydave

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Yamaha Traitor
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by AnotherTringFellow [+]
Great report and pictures, really enjoyed it thanks for posting.
+1   :028:

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: F850GS - GL1800
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2021, 02:43 PM »
Excellent report and photos - you have a natural knack of explaining the journey.
Keep these ride reports coming - there, you now have an excuse to go for more rides.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Zipperhead

• Versys Pro
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2021, 03:50 PM »
Thank you. Weather permitting we've another one in mind in a few weeks time.