Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Exhaust Query  (Read 672 times)

Offline ste1005

• Versys Member
Exhaust Query
« on: Aug 01, 2021, 12:17 AM »
Hey,

Just want to get some advice from the great knowledge within this forum.

I have a 2009 mk1 with 15,000 miles on the clock. The exhaust has started (to what I have read up on this forum) split at the exhaust joint between the headers and exhaust.

I have just purchased a full black widow system to replace. Iím just conscious of removing the original and limiting damage.

I have got some plus gas lubricant on the way to use on the header bolts & sensor. Would just like advice on when and how often to use before I try to loosen the bolts.

Usually I would have just gone and got stuck in though been advised to take more time and care because of the age and risk of damage to the header bolts.

Many thanks 🙏🏻

Offline mac one

• Versys God
Re: Exhaust Query
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Afraid it's a case of try and then find out what happens, not much thread after the nut so that should not be a problem , but the stud might come out with the nut attached with or without the threads so it's a case of fingers crossed and hope for the best, do it with a cold engine. Good luck.

Offline ste1005

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2021, 04:10 PM »
SoÖ

Two bolts now problem.

One bolt came out with the thread.

One nut has rusted enough the 12mm socket spins under any load but not enough to fit an 11mm socket.

So now having to wait and pick up a damaged/rounded nut set to remove the final one.

🤦🏻‍♂️

Offline ste1005

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2021, 10:34 PM »
So Iíve managed to use a nut removal got the bolt out and installed the new pipes and exhaust.

However;

The o2 sensor thread is buggered. I have ordered an eliminator kit for a temporary fix which will be delivered later this week whilst I find a new sensor.

My question is what damage can be done if I use the bike without the sensor hole plugged on a 2 mile work commute over the next few days?

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2021, 12:40 AM »
Early US bikes didn't have an O2 sensor.  Where does it go and at what angle? 

The damage, in addition to your hearing and your relations with your neighbors (this is upstream of the scilencer, yes?) could be from the hot exhaust hitting something that isn't designed to deal with those temps, not limited to bike parts, can also be your leg or foot...    :33:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline ste1005

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2021, 09:44 AM »
The sensor hole is pointing horizontally outwards

Offline Kawaboy

• Versys God
  • Bike: MK1 V / F800GT
  • City / Town: Skiptonish
« Reply #6 on: Aug 03, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Find a bolt of same thread width and pitch to plug the hole? A wide jubilee clip might cover the hole?
I want to retire, no longer required,
I want to get by without the man on my back.

Offline Krisnow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650
  • City / Town: Ko Samui
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2021, 04:36 AM »
yes, remove the O2 sensor.  but you need a resistor plug.  I do if with all my bikes.