Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: rear braking pad spring bend  (Read 437 times)

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 650, 2016
  • City / Town: Rotterdam
rear braking pad spring bend
« on: Aug 17, 2021, 08:29 PM »
Hi guys,

I come once again to you for help, as this forum has been very helpful to me so far.
I was replacing my brake pads today, and installing the rear brake pads, thought i was finished, rolled the bike 1 meter and i heard weird sounds coming from the rear calliper.
Took out the brake pads, and yes, the pad spring was bend. I tried to bend it back and put it back in, but again, same sound and exactly the same bend.

See these pictures.

Now, is this going to be solved by simply replacing this spring with a new one? And did I position it incorrectly? because with the old brake pads there was no problem.  Moreover: can I drive without the spring?

Cheers.. looking forward too your ideas.

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
Re: rear braking pad spring bend
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Actually, I just noticed that the old brake pads have some sort of sticker and little frame on them. The new ones don't have that, and also I can't find online anything about this.

Have a look at the pictures.. 

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2021, 12:24 PM »
I believe you should reuse those anti vibration shim plates on the new pads if they do not already have something on them  :notsure:
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2021, 12:40 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

@ Rhayader - Mid Wales

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2021, 01:22 PM »
They don't have any on them.
I believe they're optional, and for noise reduction or heat transfer (https://brakeperformance.com/brake-shims.php?irclickid=QU1yp400HxyIToh2vQx9iVURUkBWQUz0-WGeQM0&ad=impact.radius).
According to that source, they're also optional and brakes will function perfectly without it.

My friend's Z650 (2017) has actually the same brakes and he has never changed it, and they have the adhesive and the metal plate there as well.
The thing is, I can't find these things in my service manual either.. where the hell do they come from lol

Offline Imightbewrong202

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2021, 08:22 AM »
FYI: i replaced the spring and it works all good again. :)
Topic can be closed.