Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Booster plug review  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Zombie biker

• Versys Pro
  • I plan to live forever or die trying!
  • Bike: Kawasaki versys
  • City / Town: Southend on sea
Re: Booster plug review
« Reply #30 on: Sep 02, 2021, 01:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Someone call out a trannie, you'll need to understand we are a broad church of diversity

My dad had 4,mk1,mk2x2,mk3,
I remember that film,also there was one near me,yellow and purple v8 petrol it was in a ford car magazine late 70s Fulham.
I Plan To Live Forever Or Die Trying!
Give me Maximum power!!
Go For The Head!!!!

Offline mmck102

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2021 Versys 650
« Reply #31 on: Sep 04, 2021, 08:46 PM »
Thank you all for the info on the booster plug.
I am currently on a 2021 bike and just about to have its first 600 mile service done in my local Kawasaki dealer.
I had my first big ride out last Sunday with 75 other bikers on a charity run for the local Lough swilly lifeboat.
We clocked up nearly 200miles of A and B roads through Donegal, Ireland.
 I noticed a few of the issues discribed in this post.
It's early days for me with this bike but I will be greatfull for any advise or info.

Regards, Martin.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: Sep 04, 2021, 09:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by mmck102 [+]
Thank you all for the info on the booster plug.
I am currently on a 2021 bike and just about to have its first 600 mile service done in my local Kawasaki dealer.
I had my first big ride out last Sunday with 75 other bikers on a charity run for the local Lough swilly lifeboat.
We clocked up nearly 200miles of A and B roads through Donegal, Ireland.
 I noticed a few of the issues discribed in this post.
It's early days for me with this bike but I will be greatfull for any advise or info.

Regards, Martin.

From the BoosterPug Website

BOOSTERPLUG FOR BIKES FROM 2021 AND NEWER ?

Why can I not find any BoosterPlug's listed for bikes from 2021 or newer ?

The newest emission regulations means that our bikes are running even leaner than before, and they need the small controlled fuel enrichment from the BoosterPlug even more - so we would obviously love to be able to improve the new bikes too.

But with the new emission restrictions that are enforced from 2021, it is a legal demand that all sensors are monitored, and the manufacturers are obliged to build monitoring systems into the ECU and make sure they flash a warning in the dashboard if any of the sensors are showing signs of being tweaked.

So the sad news is that a BoosterPlugs for the "2021 and newer" motorcycles will sooner or later flash a permanent warning in the dashboard - so the only reasonable solution is to accept that we can no longer launch the BoosterPlug for the newest bikes ;-( 

Here is the detailed explanation:

All fuel injection optimization devices will be affected by the new emission restrictions, and i​​​​​​n regards to the BoosterPlug, we have already seen the sensor monitoring being done in two different ways on 2021 bike models:

- On bikes with a separate air temperature sensor for the dashboard display, it is quite simple for the ECU to compare the temperature for the ECUís air temperature sensor and the dashboard air temperature sensor - and if there is a constant major difference (with the BoosterPlug installed), the ECU will sense a fault/tweak, and flash a warning in the instruments.
- On bikes with only one air temperature sensor, the ECU will compare the air temperature sensor signal with the oil or water temperature sensor signal when the engine have been stopped for more than 5-6 hours. (When the engine is completely cooled down, the oil temperature and air temperature must be more or less the same).

It is important to understand that this monitoring is a firm demand in the newest emission regulations, and even if the BoosterPlug could probably be made to work perfectly well on the first 2021 bikes, it can all easily change with the first software update on the ECU.

So if we launched the BoosterPlug for any of the bikes running under the new regulations, we could/would end up in a situation where the BoosterPlug would cause the ECU to report an error after the bike have been to service (which often involves an ECU software update). The customer would obviously blame the BoosterPlug - and we would end up with a bunch of unhappy customersÖ.

This monitoring thing does not only affect the BoosterPlug. The new ECUís are locked for remapping (ECU flash), and Power Commanders and the horrible O2 eliminators will have the same problems with the arrival of the new emission regulations.

There is no way around this, so we had to make the tough decision to stop developing new BoosterPlugís and make it clear that we do not support bikes newer than 2020.

We will never sell a product that will make the ECU flash a big fat warning, so it is the only decent thing to do !

Bikes from "2020 and older" are NOT affected by this issue!

There is no legal demand that the monitoring is introduced on older bikes (and the older ECUís are not prepared for it anyway), and the factories are well aware that a very large percentage of their customers have modified their bikes in the past.

So even if it was technical possible to add the monitoring software to the existing ECUís, we can be quite sure that the motorcycle manufactorers will not do so, because they obviously know that this is like asking for trouble when 60-70% of all their bikes would report a "Fuel Injection Error" after a software update !
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2021, 09:08 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

PS -        

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05:53 AM »
For me, the Booster plug helped smooth out the slow speed jerkiness by a small amount. I think. Maybe.
Anyway, I have just fitted an O2 sensor bypass. Tiny change. Still annoying at slow speed in traffic.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: V650 -Spyder RTL
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:20 AM »
I have fitted a BP to my 2018 V650 and it has transformed low speed and revs behaviour, far more than I expected it to.
The on/off switch that the throttle used to be has been greatly smoothed out, though it can still be a tad snatchy.
The general sound and feel of the engine has been improved for me and it feels more comfortable to ride now.

Dave T
Now needing stabilisers

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
I have fitted a BP to my 2018 V650 and it has transformed low speed and revs behaviour, far more than I expected it to.
The on/off switch that the throttle used to be has been greatly smoothed out, though it can still be a tad snatchy.
The general sound and feel of the engine has been improved for me and it feels more comfortable to ride now.

Dave T

:028: :028:

Offline Siberman

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2022, 06:19 PM »
Maybe I should unplug all the gizmos to see if there is any change. Such a shame because itís a good motorcycle otherwise.
I'm sorry, really bad reception here, you said your name was Dr. who?

Offline Maverick

• Versys God
  • Bike: Not enough space
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
« Reply #37 on: Jan 26, 2022, 01:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
Someone call out a trannie, you'll need to understand we are a broad church of diversity

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #38 on: Jan 26, 2022, 07:29 AM »
 :008: :008: :008:
MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2