Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Replacing SP Engineering Exhausts  (Read 399 times)

Offline navinversys

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys2011
  • City / Town: Leicester
Replacing SP Engineering Exhausts
« on: Aug 31, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Hello All,

I have an SP engineering exhaust fitted on my KLE 2011 Versys.
Although it has the mufflers, It is too loud for me I wish to replace it with a standard exhaust.
Would like to know if;

1.   Do I need to change the whole system, or I can keep the existing downpipes and just replace the muffler(the box)?

2.   Which year make exhaust will fit the 2011 KLE. Will an older model do?

3.   Is it easy to fix? I am not an expert. Do I need to replace any gaskets etc?

4.    Is there any other way to quieten the exhaust as I am having difficulty in getting a standard exhaust for KLE 2011

Regards,

Navin Singh
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2021, 03:54 PM by navinversys »

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
Re: Replacing SP Engineering Exhausts
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Hi Navin,

Based on your question I will assume you fitted a full SP Engineering system, including the downpipes. In that case the downpipes are a different design to the OEM. If I recall correctly the mid pipe is removable and may, with some chopping, allow an OEM underslung unit to be fitted however I do not believe it is a simple slip on job. Also note the SP system was tuned for a bit more top end (shorter overall pipe length) so may present other performance than the original OEM system if the SP front pipes are combined with the OEM back box.

I had an SP stubby fitted to mine and replaced it for the same reason, just too anti-social even for me. My solution was to go for a Delkevic system. It fitted better than the SP Engineering and still gives a fruity exhaust note (important for me as I do lots of filtering around London) but is less raucous than the SP Stubby.

If it's of interest to you I have my old OEM box sat around in my garage which I'm happy to handover FOC but I won't be up for bothering with packaging, posting etc. FAIR WARNING; It's tatty (replaced after 25k hard miles), the end tip has come off and it was starting to 'chirp' indicating the inner matrix was developing a fault. You can collect for free if you want it but it will need some remedial cleaning up before fitting.

PM to arrange collection from Stroud, Gloucestershire. It's a fairly nice ride down the Fosseway through the Cotswolds so might be worth a half day ride out? IF I'm around you can also compare the note of the Delkevic to your current system.

:028:

PS - mine is also the superior Mk2 2011 Versys 650. Only nutters think the Mk1 is the fastest, and only accountants and spods prefer the Mk3.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2021, 08:31 AM by jonnster71 »

Offline navinversys

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 01, 2021, 02:27 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
The bike came with the SP engineering exhaust when I bought it. So, I don't know if the downpipes are the ones original with the bike or the SP engineering ones.

You say that the OEM box you have will need some remedial cleaning before using it. Is that something easy to do?
If that is easy, I can collect the box for now and see how can I fit it later.
What is the inner matrix fault? Will the cleaning fix that too?
Let me know, then I can decide if I can collect the box from you.

I am interested in the OEM exhaust as I only go for rides in quiet countrysides and understand that the OEM exhaust is the quietest one.

Yes, I have been to Cotswold a few times. Not far from Leicester.

Regards,

Navin.

Offline jonnster71

• Versys God
  • Not a bird and not a plane.
  • Bike: Versys Mk2 ABS
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #3 on: Sep 01, 2021, 04:39 PM »
You say that the OEM box you have will need some remedial cleaning before using it. Is that something easy to do?
Yes, just elbow grease and plenty of paraffin. Most of it is from chain lube, so sticky oil. The end tip has come off but that is only cosmetic and will not affect the noise of the exhaust. You could always have the tip welded back on if you know a welder.

If that is easy, I can collect the box for now and see how can I fit it later.
Sure.

What is the inner matrix fault? Will the cleaning fix that too?
No. The 'chirp' noise is a fault with the OEM design. There's a fix for that but you'll have to search for that on this forum (it's been years since I took the OEM box off). It should still function fine without the fix and it will be a lot quieter than the SP

Let me know, then I can decide if I can collect the box from you.
If you want it, it's yours. All it's doing is taking up space in my garage.
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2021, 04:40 PM by jonnster71 »

Offline navinversys

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 01, 2021, 05:01 PM »
Thanks.
Yes, I will go for the box then.

Will send you a personal message so that we can share contact details and arrange the collection.

Regards,

Navin