Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: pilot road 4 vs pilot road 4 gt  (Read 695 times)

Offline Duarte

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Rushden
pilot road 4 vs pilot road 4 gt
« on: Sep 20, 2021, 03:16 PM »
does anyone here tryed both?
I have the pr5 but I think I'm going back to the pr4 because I just got the same miles what was the whole point testing the pr5 as they say last longer. I'm thinking on testing the GT version to see how it goes...

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
Re: pilot road 4 vs pilot road 4 gt
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2021, 03:56 PM »
You will not get a GT version in the V650 160 size for the rear.
Anything over 8000 miles and you are doing good
Richard    :001: 

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2021, 10:28 PM »
The GT version was introduced to support the influx of heavier and larger capacity touring bikes like R1200GS and RT's. They are designed to support the extra weight and down forces created by these excessive machines over longer distances, whilst still giving the same performance and longevity associated with the PR4's.
You won't need them on the V650! And in fact may even risk suffering a reduced grip level, due to the lack of weight or down forces being placed on them from the much lighter V650.

I had the R5's on my old Z1000SX and they worked a treat, massive amount of confidence from the start and they were a fantastic tyre.
However, I run the PR4's on the V650 because, like you, I just feel the 5's are overkill for the V and in normal riding you will get just as much out of the 4's as you will on the 5's.
I did some pretty errmmm... Progressive riding in Wales on what are essentially spent PR4's and they still performed great.
There's no way I could see myself or anyone else, except maybe test riders, taking full advantage of the 5's "Slick Edge" on the V. So why bother paying for it?

I think stay with the PR4's, standard one's, and save a few 's.

Shandy.
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2021, 04:51 PM »
When the original 222 s on the new bike are done,  I will be fitting Avon Spirits.

In my opinion they are as good as anything else, lots cheaper and last longer.
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2021, 08:43 PM »
Funny story...

I've had a slow puncture for a while (yes including the NVM 🤦) in the rear tyre.
After a repair and some tyre foam (donated by Jay) it turns out that it was the repair that had failed.
I enquired about a new PR4 today and a new rear fitted to loose rim (yes Stewie, I said rim... please feel free to insert jokes here) is 155 but a new R5 cost 165 !!
FFS! But I'm not one to mix tyres so I'm going back tomorrow to have a PR4 fitted as they didn't have one in stock and it'll be delivered tomorrow.
They did have R5'S however, am I being over cautious, or should I have just got the 5? and had a new R5 rear / used PR4 front?

If you're still looking at tyres, I'd ask about the 5's and if they're only a few quid dearer, go for them!
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline Duarte

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 650
  • City / Town: Rushden
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2021, 11:02 PM »
I ordered a pair of pr4 online and paid 215 for both. The pair of pr5 were 245.

These are the cheapest you can get online. I research. I think I normally pay 25 for each tyre to be installed.

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2021, 07:08 AM »
I think your fine with 5 on the front and 4 on the back. Had all the pr series and didn't change/upgrade to the latest in pairs unless both were done at the same time. When  I got the current bike they had Bridgestones on and when the back was done I swapped both even though the front had some life left in it..

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2