Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Best time of the year to buy used versys?  (Read 727 times)

Offline FragrantPilot

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Best time of the year to buy used versys?
« on: Oct 24, 2021, 09:25 PM »
Ive been looking to upgrade for a while from my 2010 to versys 650 2019 (SE) or 2020 (black and white). So I am just trying to figure out when can I get the best deal.
Last April found quite a few good candidates on autotrader but maybe January is better? The bike prices don't generally vary much but when you take into account accessories then the change is a lot more noticeable

So what do you think?

Offline bob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 650 versys
  • City / Town: Carlisle
Re: Best time of the year to buy used versys?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2021, 04:46 PM »
anything like the price of second hand cars they will be sky high

Offline skaterboy

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Verseys 650
  • City / Town: Chinnor
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2021, 05:27 PM »
The 2010 versys is every bit as good as the later model . Why bother for the looks just get the extras you want on the 2010 bike.

Offline jdoyle

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk1
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2021, 06:13 PM »
You would imagine it would be about now but the weather hasn't really turned yet I would hold off another couple of weeks and a little closer to Christmas you might pick up a bargain
not sure how Brexit has affected imports in to the UK but the continent  might be a good place to pick up something and ride it back ?

Offline FragrantPilot

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: Versys 650 Mk2
  • City / Town: Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2021, 08:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by skaterboy [+]
The 2010 versys is every bit as good as the later model . Why bother for the looks just get the extras you want on the 2010 bike.

I disagree. Here is why:
Mk3 has better wiring insulations than mk2 - better waterproofness, less corrosion, fewer electrical gremlins to worry about
Mk3 has rubber engine mounts - less vibration and stress for your hands, feet and knees
Mk3 has better screen mounts - sturdier taller screens can be equipped - that's especially good for taller people
Mk3 screen is now adjustable
Mk3 has increased fuel tank capacity - that is absolutely awesome for long distance riding
Mk3 has reworked and improved front fairing so no more rattling noises and easier to remove and reinstall without breaking any brital plastic points
Mk3 has ABS - I know it's a legal requirement but safety is important nonetheless.
Mk3 has improved fan - a lot less chances of something getting wedged and subsequently shorting your fan
Mk3 has a wider range of accessories available while mk2's ones are getting discontinued
Mk3 has a lot more used parts available compared to gen1 and gen2 combined
Mk3 has improved suspension

This is not an exhaustive list and I am sure we can expand it.

My bottom line is - it's a lot more practical to have gen3 than gen2 or gen1

And I understand your point - is it really worth paying 6K for a bike that just has small approved all around - yes, its worth it for health, safety and mental reasons (the repairs part)
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2021, 08:19 PM by FragrantPilot »