Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New Versys for 2022 ???  (Read 11443 times)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • still lovin' it
  • Bike: V650 -Spyder RTL
  • City / Town: Buckley
Re: New Versys for 2022 ???
« Reply #100 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I suspect that may be a sly dig at me there.

Hey Stewie,

what makes you think that???

Dave T
Now needing stabilisers

Offline Clunkyboy

• Versys Mega God
  • Scratchin Bros Rider
« Reply #101 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:16 PM »
I think the essence of what Mac was saying re ABS is to ensure you understand  what its like to ride in shite conditions rather than have a mindeset of ABS will save me. I never wanted ABS on my first versys, ended up with it due to the Bikeshops mistake, now I dont think I would choose not to have it. Its crude as hell on the V and on virtually every ride  it kicks in when it doesnt need to, front and back and i could brake faster and harder, plus have a bit more craic with the rear braking away (well in me head at least).
But the kicker is I don't know how I am going to react on a very wet day when somethjing extreme happens and I grab all anchors hard as I can, am I going to be able to rationally think it all through squezze progressivly harder as the front loads up,maybe but I doubt it so I'll take me chance with ABS.  Back to Macs point , absolutly go and spend some time riding and falling off a bike off road, I would put that up ahead of IAM courses anyday as its a basic for me.
Jay makes a suprisingly sensible point , would you, or can you even , buy a newish car without airbags and ABS, perhaps sometimes we need protecting from ourselves.

TC is just not needed on the Versys, its pretty hard to light the rear tyre up with 60 odd ponies, even in the wet, more often if I do manage it, its on a very cold day and thats from a standing or near standing start, maybe i just dont try hard enough. I can think of 1 occasion when I hit black Ice and the back broke away big time, i was only pootling at the time and it was instantaneous Ivan Mauger moment. Having never ridden a TC bike when thats  happened  would TC have been good enough for the save, i don't think it would. That said if it came with a bike and it could be turned of when wanted I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

MT 5, KH 100, IT 175, XR 250, GPZ 600, GPZ 900, GPZ 750, GSXr 1100, XJ 1100, XJ 1200, Super Tenere, GSX 750, 10YR Break, VERSYS Mk1,VERSYS Mk2

Online 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #102 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:23 PM »
 :86: :86: :89:
*Originally Posted by Clunkyboy [+]
I think the essence of what Mac was saying re ABS is to ensure you understand  what its like to ride in shite conditions rather than have a mindeset of ABS will save me. I never wanted ABS on my first versys, ended up with it due to the Bikeshops mistake, now I dont think I would choose not to have it. Its crude as hell on the V and on virtually every ride  it kicks in when it doesnt need to, front and back and i could brake faster and harder, plus have a bit more craic with the rear braking away (well in me head at least).
But the kicker is I don't know how I am going to react on a very wet day when somethjing extreme happens and I grab all anchors hard as I can, am I going to be able to rationally think it all through squezze progressivly harder as the front loads up,maybe but I doubt it so I'll take me chance with ABS.  Back to Macs point , absolutly go and spend some time riding and falling off a bike off road, I would put that up ahead of IAM courses anyday as its a basic for me.
Jay makes a suprisingly sensible point , would you, or can you even , buy a newish car without airbags and ABS, perhaps sometimes we need protecting from ourselves.

TC is just not needed on the Versys, its pretty hard to light the rear tyre up with 60 odd ponies, even in the wet, more often if I do manage it, its on a very cold day and thats from a standing or near standing start, maybe i just dont try hard enough. I can think of 1 occasion when I hit black Ice and the back broke away big time, i was only pootling at the time and it was instantaneous Ivan Mauger moment. Having never ridden a TC bike when thats  happened  would TC have been good enough for the save, i don't think it would. That said if it came with a bike and it could be turned of when wanted I wouldn't loose sleep over it.
   :86: :89: :028:
What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #103 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Yep Clunkboy that is what i was trying to say,

Online NI-Jay

• Versys Master
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
« Reply #104 on: Dec 03, 2021, 05:31 PM »
ABS is mostly a passive system. Only active if and when it deems it needs it.
99% of the time you ARE riding it shite conditions and the ABS is letting you. Itís a safety net that you can mostly rely on if you need it. Itís not constantly on and slowing you down all the time.

But comparing a standard rider to a moto gp rider is like comparing your crappy little car to a Ferrari. Pointless as you donít own a FerrariÖ
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!
V650 GT 2018 (2018 - 2020)
V1K SE GT 2020 (2020 - Present)

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #105 on: Dec 03, 2021, 10:02 PM »
ABS only kicks in when the wheels lock, and reacts to that quicker than I ever could. Which can only be a good thing surely on the roads?
I don't ride or practice braking drills often enough to be confident that I wont panic break in an emergency.
Basic though it is on a Mk1, in 2 and a bit years of ownership I have had one incident where I am sure ABS saved my ass: Familiar road, rounded a bend a bit fast in the rain, down hill, bumpy surface, water running down the road, new roadworks, traffic backed up to just out of sight around the bend. ABS forgave my wide eyed brake grabbing  :goggle: and allowed me to steer past the back car and into the gap, still upright!  :020:
Lots of studies suggest accidents and fatalaties dwn 20-40% on ABS equipped bikes, like this one: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24884403/
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2021, 10:05 PM by runtothehills »
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Gripped74

• Versys Pro
  • Wales........... the open road
  • Bike: Mk 3 V650
« Reply #106 on: Dec 04, 2021, 11:45 PM »
After 2 Mk1 V650s without ABS, it was definitely a must for my next bike, and so came along my Mk3. I've been lucky enough not to have many lockups before, but in wet, muddy, gravel country lanes it's inevitable. On the Gospel Pass recently, I lost both the front and rear within a mile. ABS wouldn't have stopped the rear spinning, but it sure made me feel a bit safer with the front.

As others have said, it's there for the one time in 1000 when you don't expect it.

TCS is definitely overkill though IMO.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 11:46 PM by Gripped74 »
2015 BMW R1200GS TE
2015 Versys 650
2007 KLE650 orange, 2007 KLE650 black
2003 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat, 2003 Honda VFR800
2002 Yamaha FZS600 Fazer, 2003 Honda XL125V Varadero

Online NI-Jay

• Versys Master
  • Slow and Steady Wins the Race!
  • Bike: V1K 2020 SE GT
  • City / Town: Coleraine
« Reply #107 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by runtothehills [+]
ABS only kicks in when the wheels lock, and reacts to that quicker than I ever could. Which can only be a good thing surely on the roads?
I don't ride or practice braking drills often enough to be confident that I wont panic break in an emergency.
Basic though it is on a Mk1, in 2 and a bit years of ownership I have had one incident where I am sure ABS saved my ass: Familiar road, rounded a bend a bit fast in the rain, down hill, bumpy surface, water running down the road, new roadworks, traffic backed up to just out of sight around the bend. ABS forgave my wide eyed brake grabbing  :goggle: and allowed me to steer past the back car and into the gap, still upright!  :020:
Lots of studies suggest accidents and fatalaties dwn 20-40% on ABS equipped bikes, like this one: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24884403/

ABS doesnít kick in when the wheels lock, itís an Anti-lock Braking System, it stops them locking up. ABS is on all the time as such and works all the time. It vibrates the pads to stop them just grabbing. Itís needed on every bike regardless of how you ride or in what conditions.
Grabbing a handful in a panic then ABS shudders and you feel it, knowing itís there and saved your rear end.

Thatís my understanding of it anyways.

Jay
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
1st ever Strap-on award winner!!!
2019!!!
V650 GT 2018 (2018 - 2020)
V1K SE GT 2020 (2020 - Present)

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #108 on: Dec 05, 2021, 08:51 PM »
You are right Jay, good ABS kicks in just pre lock and prevents it.
On an 09 Versys I suspect the wheel locking triggers it to pump many times a second. Sometimes you see ABS skid marks on the road as black dotted lines rather than continuous stripes, suggesting lock-release-lock, and low grade ABS.
The only time I wouldn't want it is off road, where skidding can help plough down a knobbly tyre to firm ground and make your stopping distance shorter than ABS. Which is why it is essential on an adventure bike to be able to switch it off, as well as TC, does the new versys give that option?

Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Tiger Sport 660
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #109 on: Dec 05, 2021, 10:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I suspect that may be a sly dig at me there.

Correct, thanks Stewie  :152:

How's the wood chopping Jay?  :138:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!