Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New Versys for 2022 ???  (Read 8719 times)

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
Re: New Versys for 2022 ???
« Reply #70 on: Nov 27, 2021, 02:53 PM »
I also agree

My bike is fully tricked out with rider aids and they can be incredibly useful.
They are there to back me up incase of brain fart, inattention, panic or otherwise.
I have also ridden in all weather's and I don't need the aids but every once in a while I am more than happy they are there.

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
  • Bike: Mk3 Versys650 GT
  • City / Town: Sidcup, Kent
« Reply #71 on: Nov 27, 2021, 03:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stewie [+]
I also agree

My bike is fully tricked out with rider aids and they can be incredibly useful.
They are there to back me up incase of brain fart, inattention, panic or otherwise.
I have also ridden in all weather's and I don't need the aids but every once in a while I am more than happy they are there.

Did you get the Triumph optional D.A.D? (Ditch Avoidance Device)  :008:
A Motorcycle Is For Life, Not Just Sunny Days!

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #72 on: Nov 27, 2021, 03:15 PM »
IT was not meant to be a personal stab at anyone , have as many aids as you want but no one should over rely on any of them. GP riders still come off even with all the tec they have.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn
« Reply #73 on: Nov 27, 2021, 07:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shandy [+]
Or the NADS system     Numberplate, Anti, Destruction ,System.  :whistle:

What would you rather be, or a wasp?

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #74 on: Nov 27, 2021, 07:38 PM »
i'm not against tech and rider aids per se, i quite like to have ABS and basic TC (exactly for the reasons some have stated), ........my argument is that the Versys needs a more in depth fundamental update,(not just tech)  not a lot, just maybe 10%, it feels a bit long in the tooth now, even 5 extra hp and 5 lb ft would liven it back up a bit, give it slightly longer legs etc for touring....the whole 650 class has moved on a bit

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #75 on: Nov 28, 2021, 07:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wal [+]
i'm not against tech and rider aids per se, i quite like to have ABS and basic TC (exactly for the reasons some have stated), ........my argument is that the Versys needs a more in depth fundamental update,(not just tech)  not a lot, just maybe 10%, it feels a bit long in the tooth now, even 5 extra hp and 5 lb ft would liven it back up a bit, give it slightly longer legs etc for touring....the whole 650 class has moved on a bit

:89: :86:

Spot on that man!

Some of us were having this exact conversation at the NVM, V650 needs a engine over hall. Trouble is if, like others have already pointed out, this twin is already at max tune for the road. Then where do Kawasaki go for more power and torque, a triple? or take the de-tuned four from the 900's and de-tune it further to a 750? Surely that would lose the appeal of the bike?

With the engine update, the breaks and suspension would have to be upgraded , chassis possibly too and then you're adding development and cost all the time, which then takes away the V650's biggest selling point...VALUE!

It's a real head scratcher, what will K do in the future?

Sadly, I think this Mk4 may very well be the V650's Swan Song  :019: :187:

Offline Stewie

• Versys Mega God
  • Strong adherent to the number 4
  • Bike: Triumph Rocket 3
  • City / Town: Barwell, Leics.
« Reply #76 on: Nov 28, 2021, 08:01 AM »

No.

*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
Or the NADS system     Numberplate, Anti, Destruction ,System.  :whistle:

Again, no.

With the engine update, the breaks and suspension would have to be upgraded , chassis possibly too and then you're adding development and cost all the time, which then takes away the V650's biggest selling point...VALUE!

I agree with you and Wal but I would argue that at £10k+ tricked out it's not even in value/budget bike territory any more.

Offline Onslowe

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: xsr700
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #77 on: Nov 28, 2021, 12:25 PM »
Are Kawasaki saving the R & D budget for future Electric projects ? What's the point of doing a full upgrade as they probably won't get the same lifetime out of a full new project, certainly not the length of service of the current engine package. There must be a limit on how much more they could get out of a twin ( the Yamaha is the one to beat but it's not a great deal better ) and if it wasn't a twin it wouldn't be a Versys. I think this might be the last middleweight we see from the big  K and that's a real shame  :019:
FS1E, RS100DX, GP125, MTX200, GSX550EF, CB750, TDM850, PEGASO 650, XT500, RD250B, DRZ400, VERSYS 650, W800, XSR700

Offline Shandy

• Versys Master
  • Support Your NHS
« Reply #78 on: Nov 28, 2021, 01:31 PM »
Their R&D budget has been going into the Supercharged models.

Kawasaki always said that whilst the H2 was a monster it was primarily about developing the supercharger to trickle down to lower models as K's preferred way of reducing emissions.
However, the planned ban on fossil fuel motors by most governments around the world in 20 years or so (can't remember the dates) has put a spanner in the works, but there's no reason why K won't make good on their Supercharged promises in the meantime  :152:

the electric models will just be bought as and when the time comes. Aside from Honda, HD, and now Triumph (although Triumph is a collaboration with an electric company) All the big established companies will just buy up all these smaller, new electric brands and eventually just merge them into their own company. They will just wait for the tech to become reliable and better batteries first. Let the smaller start -up companies spend all the money and hard work developing it, then swoop in and buy, buy,buy! In a few years, I recon it'll be like an electric company auction!
Even relatively established companies like ZERO and Energica won't be safe.

I think a supercharged V650, Z650 and Ninja 650 will be the last we see of these, if we're lucky. Euro 6 update anyone?  :008:

Offline Wal

• Versys Ultimate God
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #79 on: Nov 28, 2021, 02:33 PM »
:89: :86:

Spot on that man!

Some of us were having this exact conversation at the NVM, V650 needs a engine over hall. Trouble is if, like others have already pointed out, this twin is already at max tune for the road. Then where do Kawasaki go for more power and torque, a triple? or take the de-tuned four from the 900's and de-tune it further to a 750? Surely that would lose the appeal of the bike?

It's a real head scratcher, what will K do in the future?

Sadly, I think this Mk4 may very well be the V650's Swan Song  :019: :187:

yeah, the thing i like most about the versys is its simpleness, but i think with a slight redesign it would be fine, doesnt need a new engine, just slightly bigger barrels to take it out to maybe 700cc,  or 750 , bottom end would probs be ok, brakes and frame should be able to cope as well....the Tracer 700 has 5hp and 5 ft lb more in a similar size frame and brakes