Versys Forum

Please login or register.

News: Join Now ! Members have access to areas that guests cannot see.

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Leaving fuel in your bike over winter  (Read 642 times)

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: 2009 MK1 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
Leaving fuel in your bike over winter
« on: Dec 02, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Having discovered that ethanol is hygroscopic (sucks water from the air) and evaporates out of petrol within 4-6 weeks. I figured that 10% ethanol fuel (E10) in the tank might not be good for a bike that gets ridden most months, but can sit in the shed for 6 weeks or so Dec to Jan.  If you are likely to park your bike for a couple of months or more over winter then draining fuel completely may be better.
So did a search for ethanol free fuel UK, and found that Esso was the only brand to offer that (synergy supreme 99+), and the nearest garage to me was 20 miles away. A quick round trip in the sun via Haverfordwest and St Davids made it into a tidy 80 mile round trip.
Incidentally I will swear my little V felt a bit more torquey with posh fuel, the guff does claim that 99+ reduces friction so maybe, but I know I've seen this discussed elsewhere so will go searching.
Found it in the archives https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=31&topic=1018.0
Gustavo's V must have been low mileage then!

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2021, 03:02 PM by runtothehills »
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
Re: Leaving fuel in your bike over winter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2021, 03:57 PM »
Stick some petrol stabiliser in the tank.

Offline TowerMan

• Information Guru
  • Versys Mega God
  • V.I.G.S. rules OK
  • Bike: V650Mk1 + V1kMk2
  • City / Town: Biggar, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by mac one [+]
Stick some petrol stabiliser in the tank.
+1

The best I have found is Sta-bil 360 Marine 👍

https://www.sta-bil.co.uk/products/sta-bil-360-marine-fuel-stabilizer-2-sizes

I also use in our vehicles, as a car tank full can last ~2 months now that we are both retired 😎😎
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2021, 04:27 PM by TowerMan »
Richard    :001: 

PS -

Offline runtothehills

• Versys Pro
  • "Hey, is this real, or is it just a ride?"
  • Bike: 2009 MK1 ABS
  • City / Town: Cardigan
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Love him or hate him Ryan F9 does some interesting tests.
Sometimes it takes a winding road to get your head straight.

Offline mac one

• Versys God
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Been using Hydra petrol power blast for the last few years in the bike and classic car and so far so good, stick some in the tank  fill to the brim with E10 petrol get home put the battery on trickle charger and job done.

Offline Gustavo

• Hardcore Member
  • Versys Mega God
  • Wanna be moto magazine writer
  • Bike: Classic Red
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2021, 07:32 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  6 weeks is not that long a time for "storage".  I've had bikes sit most of the year in New Mexico (when I used to keep a bike there for winter rides) and they did fine with some Sta-Bil and even on those occasions I forgot to put Sta-Bil in the tank...   :138:

My Versys and V-Strom have seen that sort of intermittent use for the last 10 years.  One sat on Las Vegas unused most of the summer the other got little use in Portland in winter.  I don't even bother with the Sta-Bil anymore.  They are both fine.  Just make sure you top off the tank before you park it, so there is less room for condensation.  Put it on a charger once in a while and don't start it for short "warm-ups".  That's the worst you can do, the bike doesn't really get up to temp and you build up condensation everywhere (including the exhaust) helping things rust away faster.  If you start it, go for a good ride.  Otherwise, juts admire it from afar.   :36:  Or be like the rest of us and spend your motorcycle time virtually ranting and raving on some forum...   :lostit:

:008:

Gustavo
Always yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again - Ken Morton

Offline Motosunburn

• Versys Newbie
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 01:35 PM »
There was a post by a petrochemical engineer going round not long ago and he reckoned these so called fuel stabilisers don't do anything.

Fundamentally the problem with ethanol is that it's hygroscopic (absorbs water) if left standing. So while modern engines might run OK on the stuff if you leave it in the tank for a length of time it could absorb enough water from the atmosphere to cause corrosion problems in the tank and fuel system.  The E5 we've been using for years seems to be *just about* OK but the new E10 has gone across the line into "bad fuel".  If you're only going to lay the bike up for a few months and it's in a dry, heated garage you probably won't have any problems.  For longer term storage you need to get the E10 out of your system, preferably in favour of something that has zero ethanol.  Some premium brands of fuel are still ethanol free but I use Aspen petrol, which is an alkylate fuel designed for garden machinery that commonly doesn't get used for months at a time.  It's very stable, if it evaporates it does so cleanly, and it's perfect for keeping your tank and fuel system clean.  Only disadvantage is it's expensive at £4/litre, so I drain the tank, put a couple of litres of Aspen in, run it for a few minutes and that's job done for the winter.